Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2019, 10:18 AM   #1

3 Year old tires.. Should I replace?

We have a 2016 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5. The tires look fine, still have lots of tread, no checking that I can see. We are leaving on a 5,000 mile trip and I am a little nervous about the tires. The question is...Should I replace them now?
Gary Sell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #2

Very loaded question, and I see a lot of varying answers.

Personally, if the look good,and have been well maintained. I would drive on them. On long trips I check my tires daily for damage, and signs of wear. If I saw any side wall cracking near the bead, they would be replaces, even if during the trio.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:43 AM   #3

Thanks. I appreciate your response. Probably what I will do
Old 08-17-2019, 11:13 AM   #4

If China tires I would replace with the only US made ST tires, Goodyear Endurance. Or any good brand US made LT tires.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:19 AM   #5

5000 miles is a long way.... I'd either replace them or take two spares, just in case.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:19 AM   #6

My rule of thumb is 4 seasons, as long as there is no cracking, bubbles, or weird tread wear.
I also inflate to maximum cold pressure before every tow, and always keep the speed below 65(even on the higher rated tires).
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Sell View Post
We have a 2016 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5.
The unit is 3 years old, but what is the age of the tires, DOT code?

As Earl said if Chinese, definitely replace.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:36 AM   #8

How do I know if the tires are Chinese?
Old 08-17-2019, 11:36 AM   #9

First, I replaced the stock Rainiers with Goodyear Endurance after 3 years. However, the Rainiers traveled over 20,000 miles and never had a problem.

I do feel better with the GY tires, btw.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #10

The sidewall will tell you where it's made. If it's a ST tire and not a Goodyear Endurance, it's not from the US. Most likely China but can be another country. Almost all ST tires are from China.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Old 08-17-2019, 11:41 AM   #11

While you are looking at the DOT code which is frequently only on the back side of the tire make sure you inspect the inside of the tires for bumps, cracks, etc.

Also, how long do your tires hold air. If you have to add air every few days you may have bad stems or a rim leak caused by rust or corrosion where the tire seals to the rim.

If they are 4 plus years this would be a good time to replace. Also if they are rated at exactly your trailer payload. New tires with one extra load grade gives you some leeway if you accidentally overload the tires.

Maybe consider TPMS weather you buy new or try to use them one more year.

Compare the cost of the tires to the value of a day wasted doing tire repairs vs. sitting on the edge of the Grand Canyon.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:57 AM   #12

Quote:
How do I know if the tires are Chinese?
They would more than likely say Rainer on the sidewall. I noticed you live in the Inland Empire, gets hot and lots of sun, were the tires covered and kept out of the sun?

If you aren't strained for $$$ I'd put new ones on, I replaced ours with Goodyear Endurance and went from a C to a D rating.
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:17 PM   #13

It’s ST. I just went down and looked. Thanks
Old 08-18-2019, 07:32 AM   #14

Really get tired of the "are they made in China" comments in regard to ST tires. We know most st tires on RV's are in fact made in China. Many of them have a higher rate of failure than higher priced US made tires but by a very large margin most China made tires give good service for the average life of a tire. If a tire is manufactured with a flaw it is likely to fail early in its life. After that first 1000 miles you s/b good to go. Enflate to max cold rating and check for damage or cracking before each use. Keep speed to a max of 60mph.

The call to dump tires just because they are not US made is over cooked and I do not agree.

After 3 years there should be another year or 2 in their life as long as they do not show unusual wear and have been well maintained.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:58 AM   #15

Quote:
It’s ST. I just went down and looked. Thanks
The ST means its a “Special Trailer” tire. Don’t know what makes ‘em special but that’s what they’re called. There’ll be a “Made in . . .” molded in the sidewall which will tell you where it’s from. There will also be a date code telling you “when”, google tire date code for examples and how to decode them.

I guess I’m in the “were they made in . . .” crowd. Two of my TowMax tires failed within 70 miles of each other and a third was preparing to join its brothers in tire heaven. They were abt 3 yrs old with maybe 5k miles on them. Overloaded? Not according to the CAT Scale. Under/over inflated? Not according to my TPMS. Common country of origin? Yes.
I replaced them with G’year G614’s and have 30k-ish miles and 3 years on them.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Really get tired of the "are they made in China" comments in regard to ST tires. We know most st tires on RV's are in fact made in China. Many of them have a higher rate of failure than higher priced US made tires but by a very large margin most China made tires give good service for the average life of a tire. If a tire is manufactured with a flaw it is likely to fail early in its life. After that first 1000 miles you s/b good to go. Enflate to max cold rating and check for damage or cracking before each use. Keep speed to a max of 60mph.

The call to dump tires just because they are not US made is over cooked and I do not agree.

After 3 years there should be another year or 2 in their life as long as they do not show unusual wear and have been well maintained.
Apparently you never sat in a dangerous location from a china bomb blow out trying to get it changed out without some idiot running you over. Had that happen on 4 different occasions with different brands of Chinese tires on my previous trailer. Plus found one with a broken belts ready to go once home from the last china blow out. Put on US made LT tires and the blowouts disappeared. Trailer never pulled so nice.
I have 8K miles on this Jayco with the factory US made Goodyear Endurance tires, no blow outs and wearing great. I never got anywhere near that kind of time or mileage on Chinese ST tires. Another 5th wheel had a tire blow out while parked during the winter. Yep, china tire. Guess it didn't want to live anymore and blew itself out the back sidewall.
I grow tired of hearing "Chinese tires are good". 4th blowout on my previous trailer tore the trailer up good, insurance claim good. They inspected the tire and said it was a defective tire. Said they have that happen all the time but can't recoup their money from the tire manufacturers in China. So they eat those payouts.
No Chinese tires for this guy and his family. We had enough of that dangerous crap. Even bought safety vests to wear cause of the frequency of the blow outs. So only US made ST or LT tires for us. My ladies are no longer nervous on the road. The daughter was upset about the damage. She kept asking when will it be fixed. She was very concerned about the trailer being damaged.

Definitely have nothing bad to say about those Endurance tires with 8K miles on them. Until they came on the market, I would only recommend US LT tires.

Earl
Old 08-18-2019, 11:24 AM   #17

My Ranier's lasted 2.5 seasons, with less than 5000 total miles, before one developed a bulge the size of a softball. Replaced them with new Sailun 14 ply, and couldn't be happier! The sidewalls on the Sailun's was twice as thick than the sidewalls on the Ranier's. so thick that the local place I took them to wouldn't mount them, because he thought that his mounting machine wasn't strong enough.

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Apparently you never sat in a dangerous location from a china bomb blow out trying to get it changed out without some idiot running you over. Had that happen on 4 different occasions with different brands of Chinese tires on my previous trailer. Plus found one with a bill it be fixed. She was very concerned about the trailer being damaged.

Earl
Not the case. Had a blow out on I-65 3 years ago. The china bombs as you called them were not at fault and it was the result of hitting a sharp 3" cut in the pavement at speed that was not marked. That took place the day before and probably broke a belt on the tire. Blow out came couple days later when I got back on the road. I have used OEM st tires [assume all were Chinese made] without a single issue on 3 previous trailers each with several thousand miles. Your personal experience has apparently been much more negative. With millions of TT's on the road there have been relatively few incidents of what you are speaking about. That is not to say that tire failure is a fairly common complaint and its fair to assume that most of them involve foreign made tires since that is what most RVs come from the factory with.

I can predict that the tire dealer who sold you the new tires took your new OEM tires and sold them to a bargain hunter the next day.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:25 PM   #19

Gary, Your question answers your question. When it comes to tires, If you ask "should I" then you "should". Go over to my thread "STS Sensors and other stuff" I just posted and read.
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
The ST means its a “Special Trailer” tire. Don’t know what makes ‘em special but that’s what they’re called. There’ll be a “Made in . . .” molded in the sidewall which will tell you where it’s from. There will also be a date code telling you “when”, google tire date code for examples and how to decode them.

I guess I’m in the “were they made in . . .” crowd. Two of my TowMax tires failed within 70 miles of each other and a third was preparing to join its brothers in tire heaven. They were abt 3 yrs old with maybe 5k miles on them. Overloaded? Not according to the CAT Scale. Under/over inflated? Not according to my TPMS. Common country of origin? Yes.
I replaced them with G’year G614’s and have 30k-ish miles and 3 years on them.
An update on my post, the TM’s had a touch over 6k miles and we’d owned it less than 1.5years. Bought new but was previous year’s model. They had a date code of 3512, so just past the middle of 2012, the 2 failures (and another imminent) was April ‘15. So 6k miles and a couple months shy of 3 years.
My 614’s have 22k miles and just short of 4.5 years. Just checked my notes and find I haven’t recorded the mfg date for them.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote