Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #1

31.5 fbhs

Kitty and I just returned this afternoon from a week long outing in eastern Okla. This was our first extended outing.

We picked up the bunkhouse on March 30th this year. We used it twice for weeking outings.

We are satisfieded with the 5er. We did identify some issues.

1.. The living room light switch should be on the wall at the ft door and not behind a little door on the end of the cabnit. (very unhandy)
2.. Switches in the tolliet should be reversed so the light switch is the switch nearest the door and not the vent fan switch.
3.. Although we purchased the largest AC unit available for the camper, the ac unit had trouble keeping up with the 110+ degree heat in eastern oklahoma this past week.

But all in all, it is a great camper.

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:10 PM   #2

Shorty, I had the same issue with our 2012 FBHS and I moved it like was on our 2011 FBHS. It was a very easy job to do. As far as the bathroom, mine are opposite of yours, and should be very easy to switch. We also got the larger AC unit and have had no trouble keeping up with the blistering temps we have had up here in North Dakota.....Mark
Horses Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #3

I absolutely agree to #1. Very inconvenient placement of the switch.
As for #2, mine are in the correct placement, closest switch is the light.
#3, well I too have the 15k BTU A/C and it is running constantly with the mid to high 90's we've been having here in Iowa.

Other than that, so far so good. No problems other than trying to identify the pinbox model number.
retired IT tech
iowahank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
Kitty and I just returned this afternoon from a week long outing in eastern Okla. This was our first extended outing.

We picked up the bunkhouse on March 30th this year. We used it twice for weeking outings.

We are satisfieded with the 5er. We did identify some issues.

1.. The living room light switch should be on the wall at the ft door and not behind a little door on the end of the cabnit. (very unhandy)
2.. Switches in the tolliet should be reversed so the light switch is the switch nearest the door and not the vent fan switch.
3.. Although we purchased the largest AC unit available for the camper, the ac unit had trouble keeping up with the 110+ degree heat in eastern oklahoma this past week.

But all in all, it is a great camper.

Shorty
1. Yes the light is hard to get to.
2. These can be easily switched around.
3. I just finished adding a 2nd A/C in the bunkhouse. HUGE improvement.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #5

jbhsv04 Tell us more about the 2nd ac unit.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #6

PM from Shorty Cox:

Not sure where to start asking.

How did you install the 2nd ac unit? -The unit installs in a standard roof vent opening. I installed mine in the bunkhouse.
How did you wire it? I upgraded the unit to 50A service in the rear cord storage compartment, ran the current 30A wire to the new breaker panel, pulled new wire to the front breaker panel to take the original A/C off of the 30A service, and wire the new A/C unit.
What size unit did you install? 13,500 BTU Coleman unit.
What year model do you have? 2008

Any info is appreciated
Old 08-15-2012, 11:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
jbhsv04 Tell us more about the 2nd ac unit.
I also put a second AC on my 31.5 FBHS, but put mine in the back bedroom. I had the dealer install mine on a seperate 30 amp cord. I usually plug it into the campground pedistal 20 AMP plug using a 30 to 20 adapter. The second AC in the bedroom helps alot. I usually close the vents in the back bedroom to force more air to the front of the trailer. I too had a 13,500 BTU installed in the bed room and the main AC is 15,000 BTU.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #8

jbhsv04

Thanks for the info. To make sure I understand, You installed a 50amp cord and breaker panel in the rear of the camper. From it you are now supplying electrical service to three circuits, the existing breaker panel less the initial AC, the initial AC, and the new AC unit. Correct?

Did you install the AC unit yourself or have it done at a dealer?

Now for the big question. What does that do to the Jayco warranty?

Shorty
Old 08-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #9

shorty,

Almost correct, i left out some complicated detail. I actually have 4 circuits, I went ahead and ran another circuit to the front on the 5er to run a space heater. One other consideration i did is wired the 2nd air in the cabinet under the TV and added a cord end, which plugs into an outlet, and if I am on a 30A site (a few campground don't have 50A service) I can plug the 2nd air into a 20A cord and to the pedestal. I will try and take some pictures next chance I get.

I installed the A/C unit myself.

Warranty... What is that? Mine is a 2008 so that was not a concern for me. The only coverage I have is it breaks and I fix it.