Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2018, 05:39 AM   #1

311 RKTS Dinette Slide lost partial AC power

2019 311 RKTS Dinette Slide lost partial AC power to a few of the AC outlets.
I was cooking some breakfast, had a like new 2-slice toaster on the dinette table. When I pushed the lever down it caught for a second then popped back up and power was gone. Not only did I lose power at this outlet the AC outlet on the main TV above fireplace went out as well. Also lost power to the mini fridge in outdoor kitchen part of the slide. Also the outdoor TV lost power to its AC outlet. So all AC wall outlets lost power in that slide except for ONE. There is a outlet where the two counter transition between the height of the fridge and sink. Have a blender always plugged in, it still works and is the ONLY AC outlet that works in the dinette/fireplace/outdoor kitchen slide. Been using extension cord to run main indoor TV.
Called Jayco and got some drawings. First ones sent were of the wrong layout. Page 1 shows the layout and Page 2 shows the outlets with the wiring layout to the Main Breaker panel. Again not my layout as the Main TV and fireplace are NOT in the door entry/dinette slide. So I finally got the correct layout drawing for the 311 RKTS layout ... BUT it was only ONE page and had NO wiring Pg 2.
So I was told to use the the same wiring as the incorrect layout. Total BS as it has NO mini fridge, NO 3rd TV. Also notice the ISLAND in dwg it has NO AC outlets but in fact is has a AC outlet on either end.
I have reset ALL breakers no help. I searched for all the GFI outlets that had TEST/RESET buttons. Only found TWO, one in the bathroom and one in the basement. Neither were tripped and both working, but reset them anyway. There are other protected GFI's with NO TEST/RESET buttons, they all appear to function normally.
Hope someone here can help that might have had a similar issue with the 311 RKTS layout.
See attachments, any help will be GREATLY appreciated !!!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 0059136_B_1-2_051514.pdf (167.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: pdf 0059136_C_1_101915.pdf (110.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: pdf 0072043_C_1-2_090215.pdf (151.2 KB, 3 views)
Jayco311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:38 AM   #2

Did you check the outlet behind the Outdoor kitchen TV? On mine, it's a GFCI.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB13502 View Post
Did you check the outlet behind the Outdoor kitchen TV? On mine, it's a GFCI.
Assume yours has the TEST / RESET buttons ? ?

Mine appears to be plain Jane AC outlet on the Outdoor kitchen and also the Main TV inside above the fireplace.

EDIT: Also just noticed I put the wrong year of my unit on the first post. Its' a 2016 and NOT 2019 (typo will re-edit 1st post)
Jayco311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:27 PM   #4

Bump
Old 06-23-2019, 05:46 PM   #5

Did you reset the circuit breakers at the pedestal? Sounds like you lost one leg of your 50 amp service.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:17 PM   #6
Site Team

If mine did that, I'd disconnect from AC power, and starting with the outlet the toaster was plugged into, I'd pull them out of the wall, and make sure the wire connections on the back were OK. If the wires are just stripped and pushed into the back, I'd put them under the screw terminals, if you outlets are designed that way. Just a thought.
On our TT (not the same model as yours) the outlets are wired in a loop.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
Did you reset the circuit breakers at the pedestal? Sounds like you lost one leg of your 50 amp service.
I've ran both AC units whch needs 50amps to run both ... not that .. but thanks.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
If mine did that, I'd disconnect from AC power, and starting with the outlet the toaster was plugged into, I'd pull them out of the wall, and make sure the wire connections on the back were OK. If the wires are just stripped and pushed into the back, I'd put them under the screw terminals, if you outlets are designed that way. Just a thought.
On our TT (not the same model as yours) the outlets are wired in a loop.
Good suggestion JFlightRisk, i will have my son check it out for me when he visits.

If that fails will finally have to call a certified elec engineer/technician

Will post back i hopefully get resolved ...
Old 06-24-2019, 11:57 AM   #9
Site Team

I hope he finds the problem. It would be great to know if that's what it was.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:14 PM   #10

I hate to say this but I have owned two Jayco's and it depends on the guy in shop how its wired. Oh by the way that came right from the electrician at Jayco when I had him on the phone. Thankfully I am a master electrician and was able to troubleshoot and resolve on my own with my problem. As someone has said you will need to start pulling out plugs and checking wires. They use a cheap plug were you arent suppose to stab more then two wires on a terminal, but let me tell you that when I pulled mine out, a lot of them have three wires stab and they were barely pinched down. So when you plug something with a high amp draw it could cause it to come loose.

The only thing throwing me off about yours is that the heater/fireplace should really be dedicated and on its own circuit as it pulls a lot of amps.

The power to the slide plugs will be in a j-box in a cabinet/under draw/etc. You need to find that and make sure the wires haven't come apart as well. Usually you can look under the slide and see where the flexible cord comes into the slide. Then they set a j-box and whip out of there to the outlets.
Chris Wendt is offline   Reply With Quote