Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-12-2024, 06:14 PM   #1

317RLOK leveling jacks

Greetings fellow 317RLOK owners. I have a 2022 317RLOK. I wonder if somebody could help me. I am new to the 5th wheel camper scene. I had a 2500 RAM 3/4 ton truck. It swayed a bit more than I was comfortable with. I traded it on a 3500 RAM 1 ton. The 3500 sits higher than the 2500. I need to raise the front of the camper about 10 inches or so to hook it to the 3500. When I parked it, I didn't extend the leveling jack pinned extensions before unhooking the 2500. (OK, foolish I know, but as I said I am a novice, live and learn, I hope) Therefore the leveling Jacks are almost at the end of their stroke and I don't have enough jack left to raise the front to accommodate the 3500. What I was hoping to do is to lift the Jack's thereby lowering the trailer and retract the Jacks so I can drop the pinned extensions and give myself the ability to lift the front of the camper. My jack control pad does not have an option to lower and raise the entire camper in increments. Can I press the RETRACT ALL button and stop the retraction somehow, thereby controlling the extension of the Jacks? I also need to retract the rear jacks separate from the front so it sits on the tires as I do this.
How do I stop the automatic all retract function? Press RETRACT ALL again?
Dakota Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 08:06 AM   #2

I don't believe you can ( or would want to) do what you are suggesting. The landing gear is below the front edge of the RV so they will never lift off of the ground. If they did, resting the weight of the RV on the front edge would crush it. You should be able to hit the retract all and then raise the front which may give you enough height once the rear drops onto the tires. If not, couple of options
A) Find a friend with a 2500 and drop the RV on it so you can lower the legs.
B) Raise the front up a bit, chock the wheels, stack cribbing under the pinbox until it is just below it and then lower the RV onto the cribbing, and drop the legs. The cribbing needs to be sturdy enough to hold several thousand pounds.
Option A is the safest and easiest if it is a possibility.

Others may have better ideas, this is just what I would do to get out of a jam.

2021 Northpoint 373 BHOK
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 Denali DRW
Rodney27405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 10:08 AM   #3

Not knowing how much extension you need, if you had access to a tire inflator, you could reduce the tire pressure in the rears, thus lowering the truck a couple of inches and hook up temporarily. I certainly wouldn't drive it like that. Then you could extend the legs, re-inflate and be on your way.
Nevr2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 11:06 AM   #4

Tripod or tow truck

If you know someone with a pin tripod that will hold the weight of the trailer, you could use it and retract all. Move your front stabilizer down to give you the height you need.

Or, some tow trucks will attach to a pin, hold the weight while you retract all and reset your front stabilizers.

My 2022 317ROLK loaded pin weight is 2,920. I pull with a Ram 3500 single rear wheel.

A couple of floor jacks under the frame to hold the weight and a couple of jack stands for safety may work also.

Jerry
Old 02-13-2024, 11:12 AM   #5

I did the same thing when I first got it home, chock your wheels raise the rear jacks and use a hydraulic jack with a post under the pin to raise the front of your trailer then you can lower the front pads
Davism105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 11:26 AM   #6

I had a similar issue many years back when I upgraded to a 4x4. What I did was to just lower the front of the 5th wheel onto the bed of the truck past the hitch and used a 2x6 board to protect the bed. Then I raised the front legs, extended them, lowered them and was able to clear the hitch and hook it all back up. I will add though that 10" is a lot of difference and enough where your 5th wheel may not be very level after hitching it up. ~CA

As another thought, I had enough clearance where the sidewalls of the truck's bed was not an issue, I suspect that could be an issue though, with some truck and 5th wheel combinations. Point being, keep an eye out for this if you try what I had done in the past.
Old 02-13-2024, 12:50 PM   #7

[QUOTE=craigav;1149418]I had a similar issue many years back when I upgraded to a 4x4. What I did was to just lower the front of the 5th wheel onto the bed of the truck past the hitch and used a 2x6 board to protect the bed. Then I raised the front legs, extended them, lowered them and was able to clear the hitch and hook it all back up. I will add though that 10" is a lot of difference and enough where your 5th wheel may not be very level after hitching it up. ~CA

As another thought, I had enough clearance where the sidewalls of the truck's bed was not an issue, I suspect that could be an issue though, with some truck and 5th wheel combinations. Point being, keep an eye out for this if you try what I had done in the past.[/QUOTE

That would work...just need a stack of boards. I can't see the sidewalls being that much higher than a 250...maybe 2". You'd have to be careful and have someone watch as you back in.
Old 02-13-2024, 03:46 PM   #8

What level control do you have? Is it hydraulic or motorized? Is it a Lippert Ground Control 3.0 One Control? If so, press Hitch Height and that will retract the 4 or 6 middle/rear jacks and extend the front jacks (landing jacks) to the point where it came off the truck fifth wheel hitch. Then, if necessary, press the Up Arrow to extend front jacks to the correct height to hitch the hing pin onto the truck fifth wheel hitch.

Lippert Ground Control 3.0 One Control manual: https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001519.pdf
Old 02-13-2024, 08:03 PM   #9

I'm not sure, but I think he didn't extend the pinned insert in the front jack legs enough so he can't raise the front of the camper high enough to connect to the new tow vehicle. At least that is what I gathered.
Old 03-02-2024, 01:35 PM   #10

This is NOT something that I'd recommend, but...
Last fall one of my front leveling jacks (Jayco 319 MLOK) failed. In desperation I had to raise the front of the trailer with just one jack using the manual buttons on the controller. If no other options are available to the OP he could raise one side at a time, dropping the other jack to the next hole as it becomes available until he has enough height for the 3500. It's a terrible idea, but desperate times call for desperate measures.
Frozen North is offline   Reply With Quote