Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2019, 04:26 PM   #1

317RLOK owners

Hi all. New to the Forum. Thanks for having me. Looking at getting back into a 5th wheel and really like the 317RLOK layout. Can those that own one share your likes, dislikes and other comments. I'm retired, in my 60's and it would just be the wife and I. No full timing, but 3 or 4 trips a year, and to be used as an escape module when we get evacuated from the house. (It's in the OBX and just behind the dunes.) Previously owned a 33 ft Carriage Cameo (SB32) and towed that with a 2004 Duramax Crew 2500HD reg bed. Current truck is a 2017 Duramax Crew 4 x 4 2500HD with a reg bed (6'6"). Truck has a slight lift kit, mostly to level the front end and keep the bumper out of the sand at the beach. Stock 20/265 E rated tires.

The other layout I like is the 30.5MLOK. Little smaller, lighter, but no W/D prep and 2 slides. Never owned a Jayco, had a Sunline Travel Trailer but it was just too small.

Really appreciate any input.

Joe
FiveOJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:57 PM   #2

We have had ours for about 2.5 years. We had few minor issues at first but that’s it. It’s just me the wife and kid. We love it. Plenty big for a weekend trip or even a 9 or 10 day trip. On those long trips we can go the whole time without dumping the black water. Love the layout of it and the storage area and even the outside kitchen. Ours has the stove in the outside kitchen. Little hard to use as it has 2 burners and isn’t really big enough for 2 pots. Wish it had one. Also sits a little high but still usable. We have no major complaints and would buy it again if we were doing it over.
Jasonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:20 PM   #3

Thanks Jason. The larger tanks in the Eagles are also appealing to us.

The ones I'm looking at have a grill outside in the kitchen in place of 2 burner stove. Maybe they changed it in later models?

What Tow Vehicle do you pull yours with?
Old 10-23-2019, 08:24 PM   #4

Yeah I believe they did. Some friends of ours liked ours so much they went and bought one also but it’s a year newer and I think it has a grill. I tow mine with a 3/4 crew cab duramax. I did put air bags on it though. So did my friend on his. I would advise that as it takes a lot of the bouncing out of the ride
Jasonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:29 PM   #5

Okay, good to know. My 04 Duramax had Firestone air bags. I may look into Timbrens this time around.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:13 AM   #6

This was the 3rd season we have had ours and we love it. I wanted an outdoor kitchen since we do most of our cooking outside but the cooktop turned out to be useless so I removed it and built a drawer for that space. Since it's just me and the wife 90% of the time the layout is perfect and when we do have guests there is still plenty of room.

First two summers pulled mine with a F-250 with the powerstroke with no problems.
bender88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveOJoe View Post
Hi all. New to the Forum. Thanks for having me. Looking at getting back into a 5th wheel and really like the 317RLOK layout. Can those that own one share your likes, dislikes and other comments. I'm retired, in my 60's and it would just be the wife and I. No full timing, but 3 or 4 trips a year, and to be used as an escape module when we get evacuated from the house. (It's in the OBX and just behind the dunes.) Previously owned a 33 ft Carriage Cameo (SB32) and towed that with a 2004 Duramax Crew 2500HD reg bed. Current truck is a 2017 Duramax Crew 4 x 4 2500HD with a reg bed (6'6"). Truck has a slight lift kit, mostly to level the front end and keep the bumper out of the sand at the beach. Stock 20/265 E rated tires.

The other layout I like is the 30.5MLOK. Little smaller, lighter, but no W/D prep and 2 slides. Never owned a Jayco, had a Sunline Travel Trailer but it was just too small.

Really appreciate any input.

Joe
I'll make you a really good deal on mine. Its a 2019 and Farm House Color. Only small minor things that you expect, and have all been fixed and the kinks worked out. I down sized from a Pinnacle to Eagle and I'm considering downsizing more. We just don't use it enough.
Chris Wendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:03 AM   #8

Chris. PM me but we may be a tad early on pulling the trigger. Just started looking at them online last week and haven't even seen one in person yet. Based on hours of online research this seems like a good fit for us, but I want to go look. A lightly used one would be fine with me though. New York?

I always wanted an Airstream, at least I thought I did until I physically looked at one. Just couldn't justify the space vs cost, and we want a rig with more storage space.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Chris. PM me but we may be a tad early on pulling the trigger. Just started looking at them online last week and haven't even seen one in person yet. Based on hours of online research this seems like a good fit for us, but I want to go look. A lightly used one would be fine with me though. New York?

I always wanted an Airstream, at least I thought I did until I physically looked at one. Just couldn't justify the space vs cost, and we want a rig with more storage space.
I'm in no hurry, but I don't think you would want to drive to Dallas,Texas to save a few bucks. lol.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wendt View Post
I'm in no hurry, but I don't think you would want to drive to Dallas,Texas to save a few bucks. lol.

I thought Corinth New York.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:27 PM   #11

Quote:
I thought Corinth New York.
I couldn't live in NY, it gets to damn cold.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:05 PM   #12

I have the 2017 model and have had very little trouble with it, other than the fading cap issue. I think the floor plan is great.
dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #13

Fading cap issue? What happened? Is that limited to 2017s?
Old 10-24-2019, 03:10 PM   #14

Seems to be a common. I think Jayco does a good of covering under warranty, if you catch it in the first two years.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
Seems to be a common. I think Jayco does a good of covering under warranty, if you catch it in the first two years.

Are new ones doing the same thing, or have they addressed the issue? I simply won't buy something if the company hasn't addressed a known major issue. Sounds like they have a vendor who is taking shortcuts?
Old 10-24-2019, 04:20 PM   #16

The only thing I could suggest is perhaps use the search function. There have been several threads on the topic. I am not sure if the issue has been resolved or not.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
The only thing I could suggest is perhaps use the search function. There have been several threads on the topic. I am not sure if the issue has been resolved or not.

You can correct me if i'm wrong, but the fading cap affected all manufactures not just Jayco. Just about all manufactures buy these caps from the same people.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:16 AM   #18

That is quite true. The place doing mine has had a variety of manufacturers units to repaint.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:39 PM   #19

Correct. I just had my 2019 321 RSTs painted and most of the front cap decals are back ordered. The dealer told me this is due to the amount of caps getting repaired. The person that painted mine told me he has done hundreds of Forest River front caps.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:06 PM   #20

My wife and I were not even looking to upgrade our Eagle TT, but when she walked into a 2019 317RLOK, she said she had to have it. We worked out a good trade and got it. We absolutely LOVE it. So much more storage, both inside and outside. This was our first 5th wheel, so I researched hitch options, and went with the Ultimate Andersen hitch. Love it too. Good luck if you decide to go with the RLOK.
tee-bone is offline   Reply With Quote