Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2019, 02:02 PM   #41

We stayed at the same James Island County campground in Charleston SC and I had a real problem with the trees along Riverland Dr. I know the old Oak Trees are historic and they don't want to cut them back but you can tell from the damage to the trees, a lot of RV's and Trucks have come in contact with them. The day we left, we packed up and were on the road at about 5:00 am so that I could drive down the middle of Riverland Dr. to try to dodge the trees. I was pulling a Jayco Designer 5th wheel and need about 13'3" clearance to be safe. Not going to happen on that road if you try to stay in your lane. I was lucky. Sorry for your damage. I have no plans to ever return to that campground. Was not impressed with Charleston either.
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #42

Thank you for that reply, and I’m glad you saw the same issues I did with the trees.
The DOT in South Carolina says that I can get two estimates for repairs and send to them and or have the repair done and I can file a claim.
According to the emergency field repair man that came out to make sure the air-conditioning would not leak for me said, that this is isn’t the first call that he’s had with air-conditioners being wiped out by their Charleston trees.
I too am getting discouraged about Charleston as it’s getting way too busy for me
Happy Camping
JayBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:34 PM   #43

We live in Pawleys Island, SC about 65 miles north of this campground and we use it often. I pull a JayFlight 31QBDS and never even thought about height, even though I’m pretty vigilant about clearance. Just checked the specs on my unit and it says outside height is 11’3”. That must be without the AC, but even adding the unit there should be no problem. Don’t know whether I have a slimline AC or not.

Hate that your unit suffered this damage, but I do wonder if it exceeded the 13’6” height limit. Riverland Drive is open to all traffic, so those live oaks are usually “pruned” by commercial tractor trailer traffic. And don’t give up on Charleston, it is a beautifully city, but you’re right, it’s crowded when you come during spring break or other high season times...
RKHengst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:42 PM   #44

Sorry for your troubles. I'm 13'6" in height, physically measured, and I also use Copilot for GPS.

We were at James Island a couple weeks ago and as soon as I turned onto Riverland and saw those oak branches, I puckered up.

Figured since it was the only road into the park, others my height had successfully been through there many times.

On roads with tree canopies like that, I tend to straddle the center line as much as oncoming traffic allows, or will come close to the center line as much as possible.

We had a fantastic stay there and spent a whole day (12 miles) walking Charleston. Very memorable, on a perfect spring day.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old Faithful: 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel Dually
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:42 PM   #45

Jayco removed Exterior Heights from website

I noticed today that Jayco has removed the Exterior height from the specs of all trailers on the website. I had captured an image when I was researching before buying our camper and it shows the exterior height. The same webpage today does not!! see attached screen shots.
Attached Thumbnails
2019 381 DLQS SPECS.jpg   2019 DLQS specs 4-10-19.jpg  
Tuckerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:06 PM   #46

What happened here to you is my worst nightmare. Sorry this happened to you. We took delivery of our 2019 Jayco Eagle 355mbqs last Friday, 4-5-19. We ordered it and was told they now roll off the line with low profile A/Cs on the front which is the first thing I checked when they called and said it was in if I wanted to come by and take a look. We're outside San Antonio, and where we store ours, there's two low hanging trees we're concerned about. It's on our walk route so there I am in the middle of the road trying to stick a tape measure up in the air 14'. Some branches were 13' so we called the city and they said they'd check it out. Bridges are one thing, usually posted. But trees and branches aren't and seem to pose the most risk. I was worried with our 11'5" high Open Range. Now with this thing?????
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:47 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I believe that there is a gps system that has height routing for oversize loads. Might be a help to you in the future.

Hope your insurance covers this, might even be a total.

Don't let your insurance rip you off. Get a firm estimate and make sure that if there is hidden damage your claim can be adjusted.
We use the App "Allstays", it has low bridge heights on it and some pretty good routing stuff as well. it's not free. Also, it doesn't cover tree branches.

Always measure your height on the tow vehicles you're using
divelaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:56 AM   #48

Chucktown resident

I live in Charleston and camp there all the time. I hate that tree limb but they won’t touch it as it’s a part of the scenic route and adds to the charm.
I’m sorry about your misfortune and hope it gets resolved soon.
Next time, work your way down Folly Road and hang a right on Camp Road, from there it’s a left to the park and no low hanging branches.
ericloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:04 PM   #49

As far as state laws usually go nothing is considered "low" on public roads until 13'6" off the road. There will be no signage until that point and most GPS systems are designed for trucking where a truck is not overly high until that 13'6".

That's awful what happened to your camper. I hope you get it figured out and fixed. Maybe you can file a complaint with the city, county, or whoever is in charge of roadway maintenance. 😣
Rick 17RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:07 AM   #50

I have a 2018 355MBQS and it had a regular Coleman Mach A/C installed. I measured my height around 13' 9"!!! I called my dealer, they offered zero help and told me it was my problem. I told them I beg to differ as they are licensed to sell vehicles by the Department of Motor Vehicles in Connecticut, and that I'd gladly have their truck squad measure it themselves...and I would encourage them to pull their license to sell vehicles. They told me to do what I want.

I then called Jayco CS and explained the situation. I sent them pictures of all the heights. They investigated a bit further and told me that I should've had a low profile A/C on there. I was leaving for Myrtle Beach so they contacted a mobile repair facility in Myrtle Beach and Jayco replaced my A/C while I was at the campground.
geoboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:24 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoboy70 View Post
I have a 2018 355MBQS and it had a regular Coleman Mach A/C installed. I measured my height around 13' 9"!!! I called my dealer, they offered zero help and told me it was my problem. I told them I beg to differ as they are licensed to sell vehicles by the Department of Motor Vehicles in Connecticut, and that I'd gladly have their truck squad measure it themselves...and I would encourage them to pull their license to sell vehicles. They told me to do what I want.

I then called Jayco CS and explained the situation. I sent them pictures of all the heights. They investigated a bit further and told me that I should've had a low profile A/C on there. I was leaving for Myrtle Beach so they contacted a mobile repair facility in Myrtle Beach and Jayco replaced my A/C while I was at the campground.

Awesome, love Jayco CS and before I bought my 321days I made sure that it had the low profile.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:52 AM   #52
Site Team

Sorry to hear of your woes's. I live 4 miles from there and camp there often. There are 2 other secondary roads that access the park. My rig has the front ac and it's the high profile from the factory. The front ac is the highest point on the unit and I have been concerned about it hitting something also but never have. I spend more time looking up than to the sides.
I purchased my rig from the Trail center on Dorchester Road. I'm not sure if they could help or not. CW also is a Jayco Dealer but not for towables.

If I can help you in any way please PM me and I'll get in touch.

The roads into there are tight but many many rvs travel all three roads into that park. The best is the access on Camp road. The 2nd best is the other end of Riverland drive. For some reason most of the GPS mapping routes send you to the one you accessed.

We got a frog strangler last night so hopefully your cover held.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:20 AM   #53

I have a 2018 321. Went on a trip from Alabama to Washington DC. Had a close call with the front ac and a gas station awning. After we got home I measured the hight with the RV hooked up to my 2014 stock chevy 2500. It measures 163 3/4" so I'm going to contact Jayco CS tomorrow. My question is to those of you who have had your ac replaced by Jayco. What was the make and model of the low profile unit? Coleman mach 8 plus? If so does it perform as well as the mach 15? Living here in Alabama it's already been 100 degrees this year. I don't want to get a replacement ac that can't keep up.
Thanks!
georam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:19 AM   #54

That's pretty high

We got the front unit replaced (By Jayco, under warranty) with the Mach 8 (I believe). It brought us down almost 4" then we had the springs moved down to the bottom shackle hole (which lifted the trailer) and that helped level it out. We're still under 13' - 6".

Had no problem cooling the rig in the Keys last February.

Good Luck
divelaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 03:02 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by georam1 View Post
Coleman mach 8 plus? If so does it perform as well as the mach 15? Living here in Alabama it's already been 100 degrees this year. I don't want to get a replacement ac that can't keep up.
Thanks!
MACH 8 is more efficient than the Mach 15 since it uses 2 fans. Besides, 15,000 btu's is 15,000 btu's.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:38 PM   #56

Asking because I don’t know the answer....when Jayco measures the 5th wheels, what is the standard they go by? Do they level them and measure, do they account for any kind of gain in height from the hitch? Because everyone will vary in height based on hitch height, truck etc. I’m trying to figure this out as we have this exact same camper just a 2019. It does not have the low profile front unit. I’m also trying to figure out why his camper won’t fit into a 14’ garage and had to raise it 18”. That would mean he is pushing several inches over 14’? We drove under an overpass that was 14’2”. We had no issues but wonder how close are we really? I just really am trying to figure out exactly how these things are measured?
Shirlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:07 PM   #57

Per federal laws, no camper can leave the factory over the 13’6” max allowed height when the trailer is Level.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:08 PM   #58
DRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirlee View Post
Asking because I don’t know the answer....when Jayco measures the 5th wheels, what is the standard they go by? Do they level them and measure, do they account for any kind of gain in height from the hitch? Because everyone will vary in height based on hitch height, truck etc. I’m trying to figure this out as we have this exact same camper just a 2019. It does not have the low profile front unit. I’m also trying to figure out why his camper won’t fit into a 14’ garage and had to raise it 18”. That would mean he is pushing several inches over 14’? We drove under an overpass that was 14’2”. We had no issues but wonder how close are we really? I just really am trying to figure out exactly how these things are measured?
Jayco had me measure mine while hooked up to TV, on level ground. I measured off a straight edge on top of AC unit to the ground. Took pics of tape on the ground, a lot easier than trying to take pic in the air. Jayco also said I could measure to top edge of roof, and then measure from edge of roof to top of AC and add them together. Mine is being replaced in a couple of weeks. Doesn't matter how it sits parked. It matters how it drives down the road.
Good luck. Knowing the height of your rig is critical.
DRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:32 PM   #59

Ok good information. We will measure ours when hooked up next. If we are over height do I call Jayco direct?
Shirlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:01 PM   #60

If you as a rv manufacturer allow a rv to leave your factory at the maximum allowable hight you are asking for trouble. If you have a 1999 tow truck then you're probably going to be alright. However with today's high sitting tow trucks then you are going to have a problem. Jayco was just trying to save some money. From what I can find the difference between the mach 15 and the mach 8 is only about $250 retail. Probably would have only cost Jayco about $150 or less to have put the low profile ac on to start with. Looks like to me someone either didn't do their homework or was way to worried about the bottom line.
georam1 is offline   Reply With Quote