Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2021, 06:22 AM   #1

321 RSTS Kitchen Slide Extension Issue

2018 321 RSTS slide toppers installed at purchase by dealer (CW) January 2018, so they're 3.5 years old.

Traveling in Central/Southern NM this week. Temps well above 100F, high of 113 in Roswell. Traveling to RV park in Roswell, the kitchen slide was on the sunny side of the trip. When extending the kitchen slide, it hung up and started extending unevenly. I quickly (nano-second response time) pushed on the frame closest to the entry door as that was the part hanging up. After a crunching sound, then a thunk, it opened evenly again.

I inspected the motor, sprayed white lithium lube grease on the rack/pinion system and lubed all the seals on all slides. No visual damage detected. After 5 days of camping in 105-110F temps, it retracted without issue.

On to next destination, Alamogordo, with same heat/sun issue. This time when extending the kitchen slide I was ready to use my ninja-quick responses, but also stuck my head out the entry door. I discovered the slide topper awning had been melting in the heat and sun and was sticking to itself. The crunching sound was the awning separating itself as it unrolled. It was sticking so much it was causing the uneven extension. Gently pushing the frame from inside helped to extend correctly.

Questions:

This is a new issue I wasn't expecting nor heard of before. Anyone hear or experience this?

I haven't lubed or applied anything to the slide topper awning before, but I'm looking for suggestions on what to use to keep it from happening again.

TIA

Hog3loves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:12 AM   #2

I haven't heard of that happening before either. I would contact the awning manufacturer and see what they have to say.
georam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:44 AM   #3

You could try 303 UV Protectant on the awning. It might help to prevent the fabric from sticking to itself.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote