Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2014, 07:59 AM   #1

33.5rets

Just wanted to see if anyone else with the 33.5RETS experienced any problems after they picked up their new unit. Jayco quality control went out the door with our unit. No way it was checked out before it was shipped. First couple trips in warm weather were no problem. Fireplace kept whole unit warm without using propane. Next trip into mountains revealed a few problems. Turned on furnace and it would not work. Keep trying to ignite but could not. Had plenty of fuel so that was not the problem. Once it tried to ignite, it kept on clicking and would not shut off. Had to kill the 12 volt power to the unit to get it to reset. Control board was bad and had to be replaced. This should have been discovered at factory. Guess what??? No access to furnace! Did not have an access panel on the outside skin. What would have been a 5 minute change out required about two hours to cut an access hole in my front underneath storage compartment, disconnect all heating lines, propane line, removing furnace and replacing control board. Then everything had to be re-connected. I am left with a nice hole cut in my front storage compartment, although it is hidden by a front panel. Next, we decided we might better try the propane side of the hot water heater. Guess what, it would not light either. Found out no gas to the unit, yet we had plenty of propane. Started checking the propane lines and to our amazement, the propane flexible line came out of the junction box and made a 180 degree turn under the box back to the hot water heater. It was pulled so tight, it had crimped the fuel line so no propane could flow. We junction box had to be re-positioned so that we could get fuel flow from the line. Also should have been found at the factory. Another weird thing was the dinning table. It was placed so close to the side wall that no one could sit on that side of the table. Had to physically take up the table and re-position it so someone could sit on both sides. Just recently found a blocked heater floor duct. Could see something inside so took off the top. Lo and behold, one of the round aluminum cut outs from a round duct hole was left in there and had blocked that vent. Also full of sawdust shavings that had to be vacuumed out. All in all, this is my third new Jayco and never in all my years had I run across anything like this. Jayco's reaction? My, we are terribly sorry and your dealer will be glad to correct any problems you find. GO figure!
Joe Hinson
Vienna, GA

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #2

When I run the furnace in my unit, it blows alot of air out of the bedroom vent, but blows very little air to the living room vents. Is this the same on your unit?
bcmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:56 PM   #3

Wow! Very sorry for your experience but really hoping you are taken care of by Jayco. We are anxious to finally get our new rig out this weekend and inspect thoroughly. I'm hoping we will not have a lot to report to the negative. Keep us up to date on your situation. Terrible way to receive a new 5er.

FireCapt564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmorr View Post
When I run the furnace in my unit, it blows alot of air out of the bedroom vent, but blows very little air to the living room vents. Is this the same on your unit?
We have pretty good air flow to all vents other than the one I found blocked with a round cutout from another vent. The problem with this setup is you cannot even get to the furnace to make sure all the lines are hooked up properly. You can take the floor register/cover off and see if anything is in there blocking the air flow. I could see mine was blocked without even taking the cover off.
Joe Hinson

Joe Hinson
Old 03-26-2014, 09:00 AM   #5

I have A 2011 31.5 rlts and love the room in the living room that' s where we spend most of our time. plus we winter camp, its our 3rd 5th whl. but have the same problem with the living room heating up, if it wasn't for the fireplace it would be worse. the bath and bedroom really blows out the hot air but we like to have a little cooler bedroom so put a vent in so we could close it a little bit but not all the way you don't want to overheat the furnace. You got to remember its because the furnace has to push air farther to the living room then the bath and bed.What I did that seam to help a little was I took the panel off in the basement so that I could get to furnace, you can see all the duck work coming out of furnace some are closer to blower, you can tell if you pull some of the duck work off you can feel that some blow more hot air then others. Then I switched the one that was blowing the most heat out to the living room ,you can kind of see witch way they run. That seamed to get me a little more hot air back to living room. the hardest thing of the job was reaching back in there far enough to do the job lucky I have long arms. GOOD LUCK
Camperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:03 AM   #6

Jayco Update

As a quick update to everyone, our local Jayco dealer took care of all our problems and also just installed 50amp hard wired surge protection and voltage monitor. We really don't have problems heating our unit at all. Usually the fire place takes care of the living room by itself. But of course, we are in Georgia and not in your below zero freezing weather that a lot of our northern neighbors put up with.

Joe Hinson
Old 06-30-2014, 04:57 PM   #7

I own a 2010. Jayco needs to wake up and pay more attention to its design and quality control.
Parkland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:57 PM   #8

Can you be more specific. My biggest beef so far with the 2013 32rlds is the entertainment system. The television is only 720p and the speakers are made of paper. I feel like I basically paid for the wiring in the walls and everything else needs to be upgraded right out of the gate. But that's my only complaint so far so I guess I could have done a lot worse.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:32 PM   #9

Well I am a little sour at the moment. Maybe buyers remorse. I purchased my 2010 Eagle Super Lite last fall. I didnt winterize properly so my water tank froze. To make a long story short I replaced the tank. While doing so I got a good look in the tank and pump area. A tangle of wire, plastic water pipe, saw dust, scrap wire, insulation, etc. Makes me wonder what else is in the walls. The water piping is not supported. It clatters and bangs away when the pump runs. I dont think that should be left for the owner to fix. The 120v wire running through the cupboard is not supported. It hangs into the storage area. The counter top is not attached where it overhangs the cupboard so it flexes. The staples didnt make it into the counter top to support it. Cheap! Underside, the gas line from the back side propane tank hangs underneath the surface. The surface is wavy. Entry points are stuffed with gobs of foam to seal them. Just looks sloppy. I could go on but I have vented out. It has been a learning experience if nothing else. Jayco better pay attention. Reminds me of the American vehicles before the Asians showed up and forced them to improve their product quality. Sure looks good on the outside though. Grumpy..
Parkland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #10

Hi Joe, I went to pickup my 33.5rets today. The furnace and the Freg didn't work. I didn't sign the papers until the repair is done.
tslvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:49 PM   #11

Quality Control?

My guess is speed is more an issue than quality at the manufacturing plants. All the major brands have had quality lapses in recent years. I think many of us fix what we can rather than go back to the dealers for service because it's easier to do so. As consumers we should demand better, but I think most of us have given up.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote