Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-02-2018, 11:17 PM   #1

355MBQS - bent outrigger

I’ve had the trailer for about 2.5 years (2015) had it in numerous times for warrenty work on the kitchen slide, had it adjusted, then had motors replaced with 500:1 some other adjustments. Was underneath doing a couple of things and noticed a slight bow in the outriggers. Now I can’t say when this happened so it may have been there from day one, but all I can say is that the slide may give me trouble one out of 10 times, usually when I am off level, so I just use the override. Syncs up and good to go afterwards, I’ve had no real issues with it bing etc. My question is could I add a quater inch plate to the outrigger and bolt it in place to stiffen it up will make it 4 times the thickness? Thoughts? I have seen the repair from Lippert and it’s pretty much the same thing, just double the plate and it’s then welded to the fame, I do not have a welder so a bolted solution would be best.

Ps had the slide checked and adjusted this spring at the dealer and there was no issue.
hymanykd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:11 AM   #2

When I first got my 355MBQS in May this year, I was really liking these new fangled slides. Quiet, smooth, etc. Now with mine out of sync and having to hip bump it to get it in each time, I am wish I had the old style.

Then I hear the struggle everyone has with them and think, “why change something that works?”

And why are two the old and two the new style slides? No sense.

Good luck, I’m subscribed.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rckcrwlr View Post
Now with mine out of sync and having to hip bump it to get it in each time,

This may be of some help to get the sync issue fixed.

I spoke with a Lippert Engineer. Here is how to fix out of sync Shwintec slides.

1. Move the slide all the way out. If one side stops as you are moving it out, release the button. Then continue to move it out. You may have to do this several times to get the slide out.

2. With slide fully extended, push button to retract.

3. Immediately upon hearing the motors whine, release button.

4. Press button to extend and hold for 5 seconds after all motor whine stops.

5. Repeat steps 2-4 for 5-6 times.

Now retract the slide fully. Same as extending, if one side stops, release button and then retract more until slide is fully in.

6. Press button to extend slide and stop as soon as motor whine is heard.

7. Retract slide and hold button 5 seconds once all motor whine stops.

8. Repeat steps 6 & 7 for 5-6 cycles.

Enjoy your new working/synced slideout
Old 07-03-2018, 08:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hymanykd View Post
I’ve had the trailer for about 2.5 years (2015) had it in numerous times for warrenty work on the kitchen slide, had it adjusted, then had motors replaced with 500:1 some other adjustments. Was underneath doing a couple of things and noticed a slight bow in the outriggers.

Had this on my 2016.
Obviously, Lippert knew about it as they made the repair kit.
I noticed mine was bent soon after delivery.
Had the repair done to the outriggers. I had 3 bent.
Later that year, the gear/track stripped out and they replaced motors and track on both sides. I think the bent outriggers lead to the early failure.
I now use a PTFE lube on the tracks and rollers under the slide. I still have to sync the slide once or twice per year, but it seems to be moving ok now...I have seen folks putting hard plastic where the rollers are on the slide bottom. Keeping watch there, but I haven't done that yet...
Old 07-03-2018, 09:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rckcrwlr View Post
When I first got my 355MBQS in May this year, I was really liking these new fangled slides. Quiet, smooth, etc. Now with mine out of sync and having to hip bump it to get it in each time, I am wish I had the old style.

Then I hear the struggle everyone has with them and think, “why change something that works?”

And why are two the old and two the new style slides? No sense.

Good luck, I’m subscribed.
Near the end of last winter I had to push one side out while pushing the button and it would rack itself on an angle. I had to push the opposite side in when retracting. If I held the button after the fast side stopped then the slow side would catch up. When I got home I tried the button reset and it's been fine since. I ran it all the way in, held for a few seconds, let it go and then did a double push on the rocker switch. Worked normally after that.

I've checked my outriggers a number of times and so far none bent. I have welders though so I'll fix them if they do bend.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:11 AM   #6

Quick favour for someone who has their trailer at home, what are the outrigger dimension? Mine is at the lake 2 hrs away and I want to fab the plates at home so I just have drill the outrigger on the weekend. Thanks in advance
Old 07-03-2018, 07:46 PM   #7

I straightened and bolted u channel to mine. Lippert replaced my outriggers and there repair is garbage to what I did. I will be bolting on more u channel again to there junk repair. Cut the end of the channel to fit inside the outrigger so it will go to the very end if u have the L bent outriggers.
Rock
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:46 PM   #8

Cut some plate to night. Used some 6” x1/4 plate. Left a bit long by what I figure is 2”. Place I got my steel at does trailer fab and repairs talked to them and told them what I was doing and his comment was that will be twice stronger than the frame itself as they are about an 1/8 to a 3/16 thick. Will put the slide in to release the pressure drill the the three holes in each and bolt them in with 5/16 bolts. Can’t see it moving again.
Attached Thumbnails
D9D727B4-F741-4794-81D1-2F17378D60CE.jpg  
Old 07-03-2018, 08:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
I straightened and bolted u channel to mine. Lippert replaced my outriggers and there repair is garbage to what I did. I will be bolting on more u channel again to there junk repair. Cut the end of the channel to fit inside the outrigger so it will go to the very end if u have the L bent outriggers.
Rock
Rock
You don’t happen to know the length? From what I can tell looks about 10” long
Old 07-04-2018, 07:12 AM   #10

Sure do not. LCI replacement were just a tad thicker than what I had. I had the L ones which were stronger but still bent.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:54 AM   #11

Thanks anyhow. Oddly enough I think mine bent this past weekend. Did a quick overnight on a unlevel spot 2 to 3 “ off side to side low on kitchen side. I’m always under the trailer for stuff first time I had seen them. Was bound to happen without reinforcing them. Land must be perfectly in Indiana!
Old 07-04-2018, 08:19 AM   #12

I know one thing I will never park kitchen slide side down when traveling. Since I usually never unhook for stops I do not level and live with a slight angle for a night. Just being off a little I could not believe how much it struggled to bring in kitchen slide. It was raining out and the slide topper had water on it adding to the weight.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:55 AM   #13

The really weird thing is the slide came in with no real trouble any more or less than usual work. The next trim I put it out and put it in after I think they bent, No difference, in noise or effort.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:10 PM   #14

So far mine haven't bent. That means that the next tie I check them, without even putting the slides out, they'll be bent.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:32 AM   #15

So just put the plates on. Even if the outriggers don’t look bent they are bent.
Ran the slide in and out coming in a lot smoother when it’s out checking level off the floor maybe a 1/16” to 3/32 deflection around fridge which could be from the build. For future the length is about 9.25”
Attached Thumbnails
071997C8-F6EA-4968-9CC7-C115B8A4C8E3.jpg   C45E893F-F49E-4B11-B57B-8847D12EE55C.jpg  
Old 07-07-2018, 06:43 PM   #16

We’re picking up our new 317 RLOK this Friday. It too has a large kitchen slide with the large residential fridge. I plan to do some preventative maintenance to reduce the chance of slide issues. This thread and the pictures of hymanykd’s mods are very informative.

Am I understanding this potential problem correctly that if I reinforce the outriggers and possibly add hard plastic for the rollers this will greatly minimize the chances of shwintek issues on this large slide?

Thanks for the helpful information.
Dascro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:54 AM   #17

I think the late 2016 and beyond had the z profile outrigger. Have heard they bend as well just not as bad. If I had them on mine I would still put the plates. As for the plates goon do that eventually.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:27 AM   #18

Does anyone have a picture of the bracket bent?
Old 07-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-Phyllis View Post
Does anyone have a picture of the bracket bent?
Here:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...lse-35795.html
Old 07-08-2018, 07:48 PM   #20

Here is a picture of a bent one. Had two that bent.
Attached Thumbnails
7CC7A7BE-7186-4654-804E-6A3DB40A8AB0.jpg