Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-31-2021, 08:32 PM   #1

36’ vs 40’ fifth wheel

Has anyone gone from a 36’ to 40plus’ fifth wheel and if so...what are your thoughts on pros and cons... pulling and backing in to a spot
cdjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:44 PM   #2

We went from a tent to a 34' 5th wheel, then to a 40' and a season and a half later to our 44' Northpoint. The 34' I could whip into any site pretty much anywhere. The 40' was a little more of a challenge but not too bad. At that length we started to get a little bit limited on sites we could fit on. The 40' sat up high enough we didnt have to worry about ground clearance issues on uneven sites in most of our state parks. The 44' we got now, yeah, forget it. Since it is a luxury unit it sits much lower, is also taller so I'm constantly watching overhead clearances (tree branches, etc in the parks and even going down the roads). The length, you're basically a tractor trailer going down the road, so turning corners and such become WAY more wide turns and then there is the tail swing that you have to watch. To make matters worse I have a bike rack on the back that's another 3'-11". So the trailer is just under 48' plus the truck, crew cab long bed.
The 40' we had was taller than the 34' so I was watching overhead clearances there too. As far as turning corners, it was a little tight in some parks but not too bad and roads were not too bad either. You still had to hang wide.
All three were rear bunk house, the 40 and the Northpoint have 2 bathrooms and 2 entry doors and outdoor kitchen. The 40 seemed to be a BIG upgrade in size from the 34. You wouldn't think 6' is that much, but it is. Then adding another 4' on the Northpoint, at 44' it's a monster.
I will say when we had the 34' people seemed more friendly and talkative. The 40' we got more looks and fewer hi's and conversation. The Northpoint, it's like we are snobs or something. Hardly anyone says anything to us, but we get a lot of looks and turning heads. I can make friends with anyone. I work in a face to face customer service industry, so I know people and adapt quickly. I dont even dress like a snob. I wear camo shorts, a t shirt, sometimes, and running shoes. I also found we get even more of an audience when it's time to put it on the site, so you have to have your A game on. My show is short and some are disappointed and others are impressed.
Here's the trailer models we had;
04 Montana Mountaineer 318BHS. 6/11 to 6/15
15 Sierra Select 375TRIP. 5/15 to 8/16
17 Northpoint 375BHFS. 8/16 to current
Old 02-01-2021, 02:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjenn View Post
Has anyone gone from a 36’ to 40plus’ fifth wheel and if so...what are your thoughts on pros and cons... pulling and backing in to a spot
I had a 36’ travel trailer and now I have a 42’ fifth wheel. It is a big difference just getting it in and out of my driveway is a lot harder but I have gotten used to it and I can’t say I have been unable to get it on any sites yet though this summer it took about a half hour to get into one site.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:03 AM   #4

We are having the same debate on length. We are looking at the 321RSTS and 355MBQS. Debating if we need the mid bunk with a kid in college, and the other a senior in high school. Then we’ve got my mother in law living with us. Also we both work from home, so thinking the desk in the mid bunk would be nice is we worked from the camper sometimes.
But looks like in Georgia and Florida state parks about 40-50% of the sites are to small for it.
Wowens79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:42 AM   #5

Our previous trailer was a 35'. If you have a desire to visit state parks, national forests, county parks etc... you will be excluded from many due to length. At private parks I find we are typically in the higher end sites because of our length.

Didn't really have much impact for me on driving. Just had to re-adjust my mental pivot points for the tires in relation to the location.

I think the 43' takes more abuse from flex because of its length but we also enjoy the extra room for sure.
2018 North Point 377RLBH, Roadmaster Comfort Ride, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Flexair 21k Pinbox, Victron MultiPlus II 2x120v 12v, power distribution, solar controller, smart shunt, 1000w of solar panels, 4 Lifepo4 200ah batteries
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC DRW LB 6.7, Air Lift 7500XL with Air Lift dual channel wireless
bill3kirk is offline   Reply With Quote