Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-01-2017, 06:49 PM   #1

365bhs 3rd A/C

Hey, anybody on here have a 365bhs Eagle 5er that has installed an A/C in the bunk house? Gonna do it in a couple months and was wondering if it will tie into the existing duct work. They run back there close just not sure how close.
kreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:05 PM   #2

Our last model and the rear bunkhouse gets hot in the summer and cold in cooler months. Very difficult for us to control the temp back there so if the AC has the thermostat in the bunkhouse I highly recommend that you get it so the kids don't cook and freeze!
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #3

We had to add a third unit to our Jayco Pinnacle. We were able to petition for Jayco to pay for it after some deliberating. To answer your question, our third AC could not be plumbed through the duct work. The only option was a drop in, non'ducted unit. Also realize with 50 amp service, you will not be able to run all three at once. Typical install allows you to pick any 2 at a time. We went an extra step and had the 3rd unit directly wired for a seperate 30 amp plug so we can run all three without stress on the RV. My configuration allows me to plug into a 50 amp for the RV for 2 AC and a seperate 30 amp plug powers the the third unit.

Full timers but still active duty AF, anxiously awaiting retirement travels where I have been told everyday is a Saturday
Old 01-01-2017, 07:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawe View Post
We had to add a third unit to our Jayco Pinnacle. We were able to petition for Jayco to pay for it after some deliberating. To answer your question, our third AC could not be plumbed through the duct work. The only option was a drop in, non'ducted unit. Also realize with 50 amp service, you will not be able to run all three at once. Typical install allows you to pick any 2 at a time. We went an extra step and had the 3rd unit directly wired for a seperate 30 amp plug so we can run all three without stress on the RV. My configuration allows me to plug into a 50 amp for the RV for 2 AC and a seperate 30 amp plug powers the the third unit.

Full timers but still active duty AF, anxiously awaiting retirement travels where I have been told everyday is a Saturday
Yeah,I am installing a 30 amp twistlock and a small breaker panel so I can power the A/C in the summer and an added seperate outlet for a heater in the winter.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:17 PM   #5

Good call. A friend of mine tried rigging all 3 to run on 50 amp and somehow started a fire in the 3rd unit in his almost new toy hauler. In his words, there is no warranty for stupid.

I like the 30 amp twist lock and separate panel, 2 years running and never a power issue. Good luck and enjoy your mod!

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2017, 07:25 PM   #6

You can run 3 acs on 50 amp. If you doubt, just look at how many diesel pushers have 3 acs on 50 amp. It's all about power management. It can be done safely. A 50 amp service is 50 amps on each leg, since it's wired at 220-240 volts, NOT 50 amps total. Each AC draws around 16 plus or minus amps or so with compressor running. Do the math. 32 amps on one leg, 16 on the other. A ton of fifth wheels are offering this, so don't think it can't be done.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
You can run 3 acs on 50 amp. If you doubt, just look at how many diesel pushers have 3 acs on 50 amp. It's all about power management. It can be done safely. A 50 amp service is 50 amps on each leg, since it's wired at 220-240 volts, NOT 50 amps total. Each AC draws around 16 plus or minus amps or so with compressor running. Do the math. 32 amps on one leg, 16 on the other. A ton of fifth wheels are offering this, so don't think it can't be done.
Yeah,it can be done if I want to upgrade my distribution center and run wire under the camper all the way back to the bunk room, way easier and way cheaper to just put a twistlock on rear wall With a small panel in the wardrobe.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:08 PM   #8

That can be done too, easily. Been done numerous times. Probably the way I'd do it if wiring runs were a little too crazy. Just trying to clarify to those that think a 50 amp service won't handle it. Tends to be an argument every now and then.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:02 PM   #9

Yeah, people tend to think 50 amps total service instead of 50 amps per leg. Kinda like trying to explain it isn't 240 volt service but rather 2- 120 volt legs of service. Loose the nuetral or ground and it turns to 240 and fries everything. Saw it happen several times as a service advisor. That's why it's best to check the voltage at the poles in campgrounds before plugging in,most people wiggle their cords loose from the pole and I've seen it break wires in the box and when someone plugs in , zap! I had one customer who had the local power company install a plug and they fried everything in their diesel pusher twice until they figured out that the ground and nuetral had to be seperated. They did that and Installed a dedicated ground and no more problems.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:52 PM   #10

If you do pursue making the 3rd AC happen, please post a thread on your install. I've seen a few done like you mentioned with the separate inlet / twist lock 30 amp Marinco or furion and distribution / breaker box in a closet, but somebody's always got a different take on it or idea, so I'd love to see what you have in mind. I live for mod threads.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:51 AM   #11

Will do Big John