Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-07-2017, 02:51 PM   #1

377 RLBH Furnace / Thermostat Issue

We shouldn't have to use a furnace in Florida, but que sera...it'll be warm again next week.

Anyway, we've been travelling for the last few days and it's been cold cold, so we've been running the propone furnace. No issues.

We pulled into our campground last night and after hooking up, I turned on the heat pump since it was in the 50's. It kicked on fine - but so did the propane furnace. Very weird. I turned the thermostat on and off a few times but still the same thing - both furnaces kicked on simultaneously. I turned everything off, came back from dinner and kicked on the propane furnace and we had heat; went to bed.

Woke up early morning very cold - the furnace had shut off. I figured we're out of propane, but that wasn't it. (I switched to a full tank just to be sure, but still no furnace). I can hear the thermostat 'clicking' to turn on the furnace (and I wait a bit for the fan to fire up, etc.) but no fan, and no furnace.
So I tried the heat pump as the temps increased outside. This time the heat pump turned on and right back off. Did this several times over the course of a couple hours. Sometimes it stayed on for 3-4 seconds or so, but mostly just a second or two and then right off again. So now I'm thinking the thermostat is to blame...

I pulled the fuse on the thermostat in the power center and after reconnecting the fuse, the heat pump now starts up fine and heats us up to temp. But still no furnace. Again, I can hear the 'click' but the fan or furnace never starts.

The way they mount the furnace in these makes it about impossible to access/troubleshoot. I've removed the internal fake walls in the pass-thru, but I can only see the back of the unit so unless I'm missing something, I can't see the diagnostics LED or access any real wiring.

Any ideas?
TIA
freddirkse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:14 PM   #2

Heat pump and furnace run together if you have it on elec heat and you have the thermostat set for more than 5 degrees above inside temp.(ex: thermo set for 70 inside temp 65 or lower)Once the temp differential gets below 5 degrees heat pump will run by itself.

Flipping the thermo on and off you may have tripped the breaker that is on the back of the furnace.

Does the heat pump fan run or does everything shut down?
Old 01-07-2017, 11:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Heat pump and furnace run together if you have it on elec heat and you have the thermostat set for more than 5 degrees above inside temp.
Ah - good to know, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Flipping the thermo on and off you may have tripped the breaker that is on the back of the furnace. Does the heat pump fan run or does everything shut down?
The heat pump runs fine when I have it set to electric.
When set to gas though, the furnace fan never kicks on pre-ignition like it should.

Where is the breaker...should I be able to see it on the back of the unit from the basement? I have the walls removed but didn't see anything obvious...not sure what/where to look either though.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:51 AM   #4

377 RLBH Furnace / Thermostat Issue

There is also a hidden reset switch that mdiwade discovered when troubleshooting his rig. I think the thread is under "atwood furnace reset".

Atwood furnace reset.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...8&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
There is also a hidden reset switch that mdiwade discovered when troubleshooting his rig. I think the thread is under "atwood furnace reset".
...and that did the trick.

I still give Jayco a solid 8/9 rating, but they would gain a point in my book with some solid documentation. Even better of course to have that switch mounted in an easy to access area, but just some docs on it would be most helpful.
Their manuals are so generic - just producing an insert to include for each model that notates the variety of specifics like this on the unit would go a long, LONG way.

Thanks everyone, we are warm again!
Old 01-08-2017, 10:57 AM   #6

Glad you got it working.

You're right about the manuals...too generic to be useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote