Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-11-2018, 11:09 PM   #1

377 Roof Cleaning / Treating Tips?

One of the annual items our dealer said we need to do is clean and treat the roof on our 2018 377 RLBH. I've never performed this so appreciate any help. What product do folks prefer for the roof? Any tips or tricks? Thanks
Slurugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:05 AM   #2

Slurugger, no big mystery here. Dawn dish soap is what I use along with a medium bristle brush. I don not scrub very hard. Just enough to clean the area. Take caution that you only do a small section at a time. Rinse thoroughly with clean water. Look for nay cracking around your all your caulking. Watch that you do not drag your garden hose on the side of the RV roof. A lot of folks use Simple Green. That works well too. Hope this helps. Skidawg
Skidawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:48 PM   #3

Thanks, Appreciate that.

I thought my dealer said the rubber roof needs an annual treatment so it doesn't dry out and start cracking? Were they just trying to sell me some product?
Old 03-13-2018, 04:04 PM   #4

Rubber anything needs protection from UV rays, especially a roof in the sun. Kind of like Armor-All...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
WarrenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:36 PM   #5

I use Murphy soap to clean and 303 AeroSpace Protectant as protectant. Everything that I have read warns against any petroleum-based cleaner. Dawn does have a petroleum footprint in its formulation. I would keep it simple.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:43 PM   #6

Dawn is used to clean the oil off of wildlife that gets caught in oil spills, so I take that to mean it's excellent at dissolving/removing oil without being too harsh. All of the "Murphy Soap" I see on Amazon is actually called "Murphy's Oil Soap", so I take that to mean it contains oil.
WarrenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:52 AM   #7

The oil in Murphy Oil Soap is not derived from petroleum. That is why it is an excellent (benign) choice for roof membranes that have cleaning recommendations against using petroleum based products. There is a reason that Dawn is used to remove oil and grease - It is a petroleum based cleaner.
Use what you want. It is your RV, your investment, your call. I prefer to error on the side of caution and take the road that offers the least risk for harming the membrane. It is a significant structure on the unit.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:13 PM   #8

I ended up going with the below as it's what they dealer recommended. I was surprised at how dirty the roof was since it's stored inside. Made a big difference.

I also washed the outside and was impressed with how well she cleaned up on all sides. The amazon link is what I ustilzed on all sides and I'm impressed.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RV-Rubber...&wl13=&veh=sem

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1