Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2018, 12:57 PM   #1

377RLBH whirlpool refrigerator issue

We just finished our first camping season with our new 2018 Northpoint 377RLBH. We kept the camper set up at a seasonal site. On 3 separate occasions over the course of the season the whirlpool residential refrigerator froze up and we lost food in the refrigerator. All 3 times this happened during hot weather in July and August. Spring and fall I had no issues. I don't leave the a/c on in the camper during the week when we are not there. I'm sure temps in the camper could get well into the 90's when we are not there during the week. I'm thinking this could possibly be my issue but I wanted to see if anyone else with this set up has experienced this. I did have a Whirlpool appliance rep recently come out and take a look. He agreed it could be the hot temps inside the camper and recommended leaving a/c on during the week. He did say there could be a issue with the defrost cycle and said they could replace the board. Problem is, the board is in the back of the refrigerator and I can't get the refrigerator out without removing the center island! Not something I want done to my brand new camper!
I won't know if leaving the a/c on will due the trick until i try next summer. Problem is, I will be out of warranty next summer. What to do?
taudino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:10 PM   #2

We have a seasonal site, too, which means we leave lots of "stuff" in the camper all summer long, including food in the pantry. We set the AC to 85F when we're not there just to keep all that "stuff" from melting down in the summer heat. I think that's best to do, even for your fridge. Small price to pay (I assume you pay for electric).

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old Faithful: 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel Dually
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:59 PM   #3

Based on some other posts I have read, you may not have to remove the island. Removing the doors from the refrigerator may provide enough room to pull the fridge out and slide it away from the island.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:35 PM   #4

I have a 2019 377 with the whirlpool. I leave it on all the time (it’s plugged into my house) and have not noticed any time when it had frozen up. I do not leave the AC on and it has gotten into the high 90s in there. Sorry this isn’t much help.

Tow Rig: 2015 Ford F-450 Platinum, airbags, B&W Companion hitch for factory puck system.
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:12 PM   #5

We have a GE residential fridge in our 38FDDS. I’m sure the temp in the trailer exceeds 90 degrees during the week when we’re not there. We don’t leave the AC on, but open the roof vents. This was our 3rd season and haven’t had any fridge issues.
The trailer has a 2 year warranty, but what’s the warranty on the fridge? It may be longer than 2 years, so if you wait, the fridge repair may be covered, but moving the island would be on you.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:19 AM   #6

We have a 377 and the whirlpool. Ours froze once and the cause was that the freezer was packed. Items were pushed to the rear causing airflow issues for the refrigerated portion.
dhornauer67 is offline   Reply With Quote