Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2015, 06:16 AM   #41
Site Team

I would call your dealer and get a claim started. This forum is not associated with Jayco.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:20 AM   #42

Spoke to my dealer again yesterday and taking the rig into him this morning. He called his Jayco rep and they confirmed that there is a cooling issue in the FLSA. Jayco will begin offering a third AC unit, as an option, in the current 2016 model. Before I could raise the question, my delaer was already asking what about the current owners. No confirmed response yet. My local dealer did offer go install one in place of the kitchen exhaust fan with a remote and seperate wiring to plug into to a seperate 30 amp connection. Obviously this wouodntwork everywherebut most sites have a 30 and 50 plus together. This complete package woupd be in the $1200 range if he cannot get Jayco to throw some money in the pot. I almost bought from an online dealer but WOW has my dealer impressed me over my first 8 months of ownership! If you are ever in West Texas, swing through Jerrys Campers in Abilene, TX; small but amazing team! I will keep all posted on any feedback from Jayco.
Grawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:29 PM   #43

Back for update. Went to dealer last Wednesday to run some airflow test. The duct in the unit is big enough to flow more air. The problem with this is in order to do so you have to shut off the bedroom and bathroom vents forcing all the air from both units to the front. Doing this cuts the total cfm's down which actually reduces the amount of "treated air" entering the coach. The other option is woody woodpeckering the ceiling with vents. And there is no way, at least for me to know if that will work. So bottom line, and this is what the service manager told me when I brought it in, is 3rd unit. I am going with the same unit that the other 2 are. Actually it is the unit we replaced with a new one to try. Only problem with this is a height issue. Trailer stands at 13' 4" which is way tall for rv'ers to be pulling already. (my opinion) With 3rd unit looks like it will stand at 13'7". Have to be really careful for overhead obstructions. Electrical will be in the existing loop. Will have a selector for which 2 you want to run. Will not be on a thermostat. Not hooked up to duct. Just old style controls on bottom of unit and just dumps air out in room. Its all on Jayco. They told dealer to do whatever makes me happy. If you have any trouble get problem solved, mention the climate control that they advertise.
Heard today a man bought a Jayco unit, don't know model, 3 months ago and one of the slides fell out of it. Had to send truck and trailer to put slide in and another truck to wrap up hole and carry back to dealer. When it got there dealer told him thats the 8th one that has come back. I will keep up with the outcome and post under new thread. Let me know if anybody else has had this problem.
L L Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:59 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawe View Post
Spoke to my dealer again yesterday and taking the rig into him this morning. He called his Jayco rep and they confirmed that there is a cooling issue in the FLSA. Jayco will begin offering a third AC unit, as an option, in the current 2016 model. Before I could raise the question, my delaer was already asking what about the current owners. No confirmed response yet. My local dealer did offer go install one in place of the kitchen exhaust fan with a remote and seperate wiring to plug into to a seperate 30 amp connection. Obviously this wouodntwork everywherebut most sites have a 30 and 50 plus together. This complete package woupd be in the $1200 range if he cannot get Jayco to throw some money in the pot. I almost bought from an online dealer but WOW has my dealer impressed me over my first 8 months of ownership! If you are ever in West Texas, swing through Jerrys Campers in Abilene, TX; small but amazing team! I will keep all posted on any feedback from Jayco.
Grawe
This is unrelated to your a/c issue, but we also bought from Jerry's and were extremely impressed with them. We drove 6hrs from Houston for the deal and they are great. If you remember, tell Randy that Ron & Delores from Houston said hi. I have no doubt they will take care of your issue.
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:20 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRT View Post
Grawe
This is unrelated to your a/c issue, but we also bought from Jerry's and were extremely impressed with them. We drove 6hrs from Houston for the deal and they are great. If you remember, tell Randy that Ron & Delores from Houston said hi. I have no doubt they will take care of your issue.
Absolutely, I will pass your kind words -amazing customer service!
Old 08-13-2015, 08:08 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
When I was hanging thermometers around, it was very apparent that the slides with there thinner walls and windows were the biggest problems. I am really surprised that if you are truly in the shade with two AC's working that you would have that much of a problem. If you are in 100+ degree temps, air conditioners will only drop ambient temperatures roughly 20 degrees. Meaning that 80 degree temperatures would be expected if its 100 outside. Certainly hope that you can find a solution that you can live with.
I would have to disagree with this. We have had 100+ degree days recently and our two a/c units will easily keep our coach at the set point which has been as low as 72. The units do not run constantly, and cycle as they should. The 20 degree temperature difference you mentioned isn't the outside temp compared to the inside. It is the air temp difference from the discharge vent to the actual room temp (usually measured at the return air vent) and 15-20 degrees is typically acceptable. So if the ambient room temp is 76, the discharge temp should ideally be a (minimum of 61) but hopefully closer to 56. This also applies to residential a/c units.

I should also mention we have the double pane insulated windows (best add-on we made) and slide-out awnings. The insulated windows make a huge difference and I feel like the awnings also help alot by keeping the direct heat off the slide roofs. We had no awnings on our old unit and regular tinted windows, and there is no comparision in how easy it is to keep this unit cool.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:18 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRT View Post
I would have to disagree with this. We have had 100+ degree days recently and our two a/c units will easily keep our coach at the set point which has been as low as 72. The units do not run constantly, and cycle as they should. The 20 degree temperature difference you mentioned isn't the outside temp compared to the inside. It is the air temp difference from the discharge vent to the actual room temp (usually measured at the return air vent) and 15-20 degrees is typically acceptable. So if the ambient room temp is 76, the discharge temp should ideally be a (minimum of 61) but hopefully closer to 56. This also applies to residential a/c units.

I should also mention we have the double pane insulated windows (best add-on we made) and slide-out awnings. The insulated windows make a huge difference and I feel like the awnings also help alot by keeping the direct heat off the slide roofs. We had no awnings on our old unit and regular tinted windows, and there is no comparision in how easy it is to keep this unit cool.

According to your signature you don't have a Front Living room. The problem with the AC that most are speaking of is in the Front Living room model. I have the dreaded 365 BHS (Rear Bunkhouse) and I know what these people are going through. Jayco never fixed the problem. I have found fans one in our bedroom blowing to the main cabin and one in the bunk house blowing into the bunk room from main cabin is the best you can do. I have on order a NP 377 and it is disheartening that 4 years later Jayco can't figure out how to cool these units.

A few things I do want to point out. The celling fan is your best friend. With the height of the ceilings the fan has to be used to pull the cool air off of the floor. You can not compare your tt cooling experience to a 5ver. The cubic volume of air to cooled down has to be darn near double. If I owned a FL I would definitely have a fan sitting in the bedroom door blowing cold air into the main cabin. I know these are not acceptable solutions. Jayco really screwed up when they did not put the Central return unit in the front and rear. On mine I keep the bedroom unit set 4 degrees below desired set point to insure it never shuts off. Also Coleman Mach thermostats are junk junk junk.

This all comes from 4 years of fighting cooling in Missouri heat and humidity. I have awnings and double pane windows also. I see no benefit from these. Shades pulled, stupid window above dining slide crammed full of paper bags.
B & W Companion

Central MO
MOCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:47 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCamper View Post
According to your signature you don't have a Front Living room. The problem with the AC that most are speaking of is in the Front Living room model. I have the dreaded 365 BHS (Rear Bunkhouse) and I know what these people are going through. Jayco never fixed the problem. I have found fans one in our bedroom blowing to the main cabin and one in the bunk house blowing into the bunk room from main cabin is the best you can do. I have on order a NP 377 and it is disheartening that 4 years later Jayco can't figure out how to cool these units.

A few things I do want to point out. The celling fan is your best friend. With the height of the ceilings the fan has to be used to pull the cool air off of the floor. You can not compare your tt cooling experience to a 5ver. The cubic volume of air to cooled down has to be darn near double. If I owned a FL I would definitely have a fan sitting in the bedroom door blowing cold air into the main cabin. I know these are not acceptable solutions. Jayco really screwed up when they did not put the Central return unit in the front and rear. On mine I keep the bedroom unit set 4 degrees below desired set point to insure it never shuts off. Also Coleman Mach thermostats are junk junk junk.

This all comes from 4 years of fighting cooling in Missouri heat and humidity. I have awnings and double pane windows also. I see no benefit from these. Shades pulled, stupid window above dining slide crammed full of paper bags.
I understand the frustration everyone is talking about and hopefullly Jayco will do whatever is needed to make it right.

To clarify:
* I was not comparing my unit to a front living I clearly know the difference. I was merely pointing that the description given on how the ambient air temps are measured and/or calculated were not correct.
* Although we have a ceiling fan in ours, it never gets used.
* You can not compare your tt cooling experience to a 5ver. This statement doesn't make any sense to me. The unit in my signature (Pinnacle 36FBTS) is clearly a "5ver" and a good sized one at that. You can verify this on Jayco's website if need be. It might not be the exact square footage as the others mentioned, but it's pretty darn close.
* When I can go outside and put my hand on a window that has been in direct sunlight for a few hours and it feels like a frying pan and I go inside and it is BARELY warm to the touch. That tells me the windows are doing their job. Sorry you didn't have the same luck with yours.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:30 PM   #49

UPDATE WITH ACTION FROM JAYCO: Our third AC was installed last week and life is good again in the best RV fllorplan out there. We are in the extreme heat of West Texas, everyday 100F+ or very close, and our rig is now staying cool. Granted, those AC units are working hard but with 3, we are able to shut one down every once in a while for a reprieve. Our coach stays comfortably abou 72-74 on the worst of the hottest of days and doesnt struggle at all if the outside temp stays around 90F. Now be prepared to get aggressive with the manufacturer; their first offer to my dealer was capped at $800 and only covered parts, leaving me a 600 labor bill. It took a week for them to call me back after I initiated a ticket 3 times but when I finally got that call. Their initial reponse was that it was a customer mod and they can't/won't pay for those. Once I was able to confirm I was talking to someone who could make the decision to pay the bill, I laid into the advertising, floorplan failures and of course the forum discussion that was sure to crucify future sales. Finally, the rep agreed to pay the entire install. My dealer modified the wiring to run the 2 originals off the 50 amp and the 3rd off a separate 30 amp cord so all three could operate simutaniously (works well for us but may not for others, depending on plug availability). So in the end Jayco came through to support their product; although it should not have been such a battle and they would have impressed us all if they didn't act like they didn't know of the issue. Ultimatley, we love our FLSA and they did the right thing so hats off to a wonderful product, customer service resolution and an awesome dealer. Of you find yourself in the same predicament, pls address quickly and feel free to hit me with any questions.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:54 PM   #50

Not sure it was mentioned and if anybody has looked at the 2016 specs, but the 3rd a/c in the Living room is a mandatory option. The bedroom is still a regular option.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:45 PM   #51

Yea Grumpy, I noticed that spec changed too. Initially Jayco added it as an (customer paid) option. Now it has become mandatory... good cal Jayco! Curious what they will do with the 2016s sitting on the lot?
Old 08-29-2015, 06:57 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawe View Post
Yea Grumpy, I noticed that spec changed too. Initially Jayco added it as an (customer paid) option. Now it has become mandatory... good cal Jayco! Curious what they will do with the 2016s sitting on the lot?
What I don't understand with many of their units and with other manuf. as well, why the "Mandatory option"? Just put it in the base specs and price.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:44 PM   #53

Graw we could use some info as to the rep that you used on getting the 3rd ac installed. We have the early 2016 fsla and even tho now they have changed the specs for the third ac we are still having trouble getting them to do it. Any help you can give will be appreciated. It's a shame you buy a 90thousand msrp unit and gotta have these kind of issues. Thanks
pgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:11 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgraves View Post
Graw we could use some info as to the rep that you used on getting the 3rd ac installed. We have the early 2016 fsla and even tho now they have changed the specs for the third ac we are still having trouble getting them to do it. Any help you can give will be appreciated. It's a shame you buy a 90thousand msrp unit and gotta have these kind of issues. Thanks
Part of the problem is two fold. It wasn't figured in the cost when you bought the unit and it is now(the mandatory option). Secondly the roof is not framed or wired for the 3rd unit so it could cause issues down the road after the warranty runs out.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:56 PM   #55

Pgraves, get what help you can from your dealer first but then you will lilkley have to contact Jayco directly. Call the customer service line and expect 3-5 days for someone to finally call you. When they do, ensure the rep you are talking to has the authority to authorize the install (parts and labor). Push hard on te Jayco advertisenent bragging about temp control and the fact they are selling a floorppan that they cannot regulate. Grumpy also brings up some good issues. While I believe the roof construction on the Pinnacle is strong enough for the third AC, there is no wiring plan so ensure you take it to someone that you trust can do a custom install. Mine is direct wired to an independent fuse box and dropped to a separate 30 Amp plug. I have received several private messages about this post. Feel free to share your progress and ask additional questions on this feed. GRAWE
Old 09-22-2015, 05:09 PM   #56

Grawe, can you post a pic or two of the new ac?
Old 09-22-2015, 07:51 PM   #57

Sure, it's dark and raining here in Colorado but I will take some tomorrow. The third unit is mounted in the kitchen fan opening, just in front of the kitchen light fixture. It is not wired to the thermostat or plumbed into the duct work. It is remove control with built in temp controls/speeds and dumps in between the living room and kitchen.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:42 AM   #58

We would like to see the pics also. I understand about the money situation on the msrp and such but with the advertising that they have pushed with the temp was one of the reasons we went ahead with the new pinnacle. Getting anything out of our dealer other than screwed around some more is out of the ?. They didn't even get the pree inspection done with us. Just checking stuff off and out the door. I have talked to Randy I believe it was there in service at Jerry's rvs about how your ac was installed and they have said they would do ours upon approval. My wife talks to Larry at jayco about all our issues and they have always been good about doing our work while we are on the road. Larry is going to call Richard tomorrow and we will see where we are at then. They also put the wrong awning on our rv so you can't open the main door with the awning out. We appreciate all the advice as to helping us along the way. Patrick
Old 09-30-2015, 10:08 PM   #59

In my opinion, I think these Coleman low profile AC units are just crap. 4 months ago my fan broke off from its hinges on the front unit. It was replaced free of charge. Just recently the whole front AC unit was replaced because the lines kept freezing up. Something was wrong with the sensor supposedly. So the unit was replaced. And yesterday, the back unit fan broke off. The repair man said they have been having this issue lately with the Coleman AC units. Im a bit disappointed. But, the problem is easily fixed, just takes a bit of time and patience.
Christo360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:35 AM   #60

Update on our fsla failed cooling.

My first is a compliment to Randy and his staff at Jerry's campers in Abilene TX. We just dropped our fsla pinnacle off to them and they will have our third ac installed this week. Jayco is only wanting to pay a partial bill on this but Randy has said he is going to push getting full amount. Jayco is trying to say we fell into a slot period where it is not covered. Anything they can say to try and not pay. Our 2016 was o e of the first to come off the lot and we got all the bugs lol. Our awning was mounted wrong and Randy has pushed Larry at jayco to fix it so it will be mounted in correct spot and the body shop will have the side fixed. We are full time in ours and Randy has went above and beyond to get us fixed up in less than a week. Also did I mention we bad a tire bubble up on the way down from Illinois. God bless me with finding it before the blow out. So we will be replacing our tires with the marathon. We wanted the 14 ply but of course got the wheels that aren't rated for the tire pressure. Yes this is long but if you do have anyone looking for a new camper send them to Jerry campers in Abilene. You will not regret it. Tell them Patrick sent you. And grawe they said hello. Thanks Patrick