Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-04-2018, 08:31 AM   #1

3rd AC unit or not???

We have a 2016 Pinnacle 38FLSA with 2 AC units. With the front living floorplan, the ceiling is high for the entire unit except the rear bedroom. The bedroom cools fine to the point we seldom run the AC in the bedroom. However, the unit at mid-ship cannot keep the temp the area that includes the kitchen and front living area between 70 and 72. As the temp rises outside during the day, the temp inside will rise to 80 or more with the AC running non-stop. We are concerned this will never be livable when the outside temps are 90 and higher. Should we consider adding a third AC over the front living area or should we be running both AC units with the vents in the bedroom closed? The other consideration is the mid-ship AC unit is low on freon or just not performing correctly. I would like to hear from you with similar 42' FWs and how well your AC keeps the space comfortable.
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:06 AM   #2

I would first remove all the vents and remove the black plastic collar. Then use aluminum AC tape to seal the gap between the main ducting and the ceiling. You get a lot of air loss into the “attic” space from those collars and they protrude up into the main duct too high, blocking air flow.

Next, close off the vents in the bedroom and run both units.

If that doesn’t get you where you want to be, then you can add a third AC.

I did all of the above.

Mods to 377 RLBH?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...4&share_type=t

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:21 PM   #3

We have the 2016 38FLSA as well... with 3 AC units. It works really well. The center is the primary and the front/rear alternate as needed. You can only run 2 at a time, a little noisy up front, but... nice to have full cooling up there (where the heat rises to).
Old 12-19-2018, 09:13 PM   #4

X2 with shagensicker, power management (30amp for 1 AC / 50amp for 2ACs) is limited for all of us.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaandDon View Post
X2 with shagensicker, power management (30amp for 1 AC / 50amp for 2ACs) is limited for all of us.

Not true. I added a third AC on my north point and I can run all three at the same time on 50 amp. You can also run 2 on 30 amp as long as you’re not using any other high draw appliances like the electric water heater or microwave.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Not true. I added a third AC on my north point and I can run all three at the same time on 50 amp. You can also run 2 on 30 amp as long as you’re not using any other high draw appliances like the electric water heater or microwave.

Edit: when running all three, you need to stagger the startup

Old 12-19-2018, 10:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Mine also has breaker and prewired for 3rd a/c.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Yep, I run both my 15k units on 30 amp lots of times. Just need to load shed is all. Also the voltage needs to be good. If the voltage is low, then you shouldn't attempt it.

I wouldn't see any reason why you couldn't run 3 on 50 amp service provided the voltage is good and you load shed. Especially on the leg that the two units are on.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:08 AM   #9

You can never have too much AC! Definitely add the 3rd unit.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Old 12-20-2018, 08:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETCrockett View Post
Should we consider adding a third AC over the front living area or should we be running both AC units with the vents in the bedroom closed?
I don't have your floor plan but I do have 3 a/c's. Not sure if you have already answered your question, but here is my thoughts if you are still considering.

90 degrees will be hot inside no matter what you do. I would definitely run both a/c's and place a fan in the bedroom to help blow some of that cold air around.

I you have the means, I would add a 3rd a/c if it is feasible. I would probably add it on a separate circuit with it's own 30 amp plug. Now you have 2 power cords with 2 a/c running off 50 amps. And the 3rd a/c running off 30 amps. This is of course if you frequent locations with 30 amp and 50 amp service. Now you are freezing inside when it's 100 outside.

Earl is right, you can never have too much a/c. Plus you never know when one of your a/c units will fail. It would sure be nice to have that 3rd a/c if one of the other two fail.... Generally a/c units only fail when you need them the most!
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:53 AM   #11

As usual I get the best advice on this forum. I’m going to make the mods to the duct work that Tom suggested and consider the options for a 3rd AC unit. My FW is already prepped for 3rd unit.

I would like to understand more about this “staggering” that will allow me to run 2 units on 30 amp service. I have a good surge protector that ensures I’m getting good juice from the campground box before it lets any power go to the FW. How ever, if someone tries to turn the 2nd AC while the other is running, it always pops the breaker at the site power box. I have only been able to run both when on 50 amp whether it is shore power or generator.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #12

Quote:
As usual I get the best advice on this forum. I’m going to make the mods to the duct work that Tom suggested and consider the options for a 3rd AC unit. My FW is already prepped for 3rd unit.

I would like to understand more about this “staggering” that will allow me to run 2 units on 30 amp service. I have a good surge protector that ensures I’m getting good juice from the campground box before it lets any power go to the FW. How ever, if someone tries to turn the 2nd AC while the other is running, it always pops the breaker at the site power box. I have only been able to run both when on 50 amp whether it is shore power or generator.
No need to stagger the startup. If you have 30 amp service with good voltage and you load shed you can run both at the same time. Sounds like you're not load shedding. Is your water heater on LP? Is your fridge on LP? Those two will pull too much power on electric to have on when running two ac units on 30 amp service.

Earl
Old 12-20-2018, 02:56 PM   #13

I have the North Point version 383flfa front living with the 3rd a/c unit. I love it. As you know the high point is also the warmest it cools the area super well. I also keep a fan running in the bedroom just to keep air circulating. Wouldn't want to go with out the front a/c
Old 12-20-2018, 02:56 PM   #14

I probably had water heater on electric. I can switch to LP easy enough. It is the fridge that will be the problem! The 38FLSA comes with a residential fridge. I thought several who commented about running 2 AC units had FWs that would also have the resi fridge. Is my fate sealed to requiring 50 amps to run 2 AC units with resi-fridge? Makes since now the person who had the 38FLSA with 3 AC units but commented they could only run 2 at a time.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:20 PM   #15

I think there is a controller of some sort on factory installed 3rd ac units. On mine, the main (center) unit is on one leg the other two are on the same brake on the other leg. No matter what my thermostats are set on only one unit (of the front and rear) runs at a time. When one kicks off the other one kicks on. I dont have any idea how, but in the 2 years I've had it both front and rear have never ran at the same time
Old 12-20-2018, 04:07 PM   #16

Quote:
I probably had water heater on electric. I can switch to LP easy enough. It is the fridge that will be the problem! The 38FLSA comes with a residential fridge. I thought several who commented about running 2 AC units had FWs that would also have the resi fridge. Is my fate sealed to requiring 50 amps to run 2 AC units with resi-fridge? Makes since now the person who had the 38FLSA with 3 AC units but commented they could only run 2 at a time.
I have the residential fridge and during my testing before my 3rd AC install at my home (i have a 30 amp plug), two ACs can run along with the fridge. As stated before, you're going to have to not use much else in the way of electrical appliances.

When on 50amps and running all three units, I don't start them all at once. I stagger the start ups to allow each one to get up and running before turning on the next. On 50 amps, you can pretty much run everything as you normally would. With 3 units, you will find that it is rare that they all run at the same time once the rig has cooled down. At least that has been my experience this summer. The nice thing is you can get the rig down to 70 when its 100 outside if you like.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:00 PM   #17

Jayco Pinnacle 2016 FLSA

I have the same camper as you do with 3 AC units factory installed. As per the design, the front and back units alternate and can't run at the same time. Recently, the front unit won't come on and I have to "trick" it into coming on. The way I trick it is I turn the rear unit on, let it cool 1 degree and then when it reaches the temperature and kicks off, the front unit will come on. It's like the front unit sometimes gets stuck into thinking the back unit is on so it won't come on. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Just this past weekend I took the covers off all three units and cleaned them up really good making sure there was no debris or anything and all the wires/connections were in great shape.

Thanks any advance for any suggestions or advice.
rlw1210 is offline   Reply With Quote