Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-29-2016, 06:45 PM   #1

40' er owners

Hey er'body, I purchased a 2010 365bhs 5er back at the end of July, needs tires and I'm not putting El cheapos' on it so having to wait a little while to save up the $1400.00 for the G614s'. That being said,I haven't taken it anywhere yet but just want a little feed back from those of you that tow 40 footers. How much problems and what kind of problems have any of you guys had at campgrounds getting into your site. My last camper was a Fleetwood TT 32bh that was about 35' long. No real problems getting in any spots with it but did get tight from time to time.
kreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:49 PM   #2

well I don't have a 40 ft fifth but I do have I 39 foot tt and if I have room for the slides I don't have too many problems putting it in most spots. I camp mostly in state parks but I also do my diligence when scoping sites
Old 10-29-2016, 06:56 PM   #3

I can tell you that with a 44'er you have to be selective, many spots are adequate for the 5er but leave no room for the tow vehicle, I camp mostly in state parks, thankfully they have been pretty spot on the the "max size equipment" on the reservation website.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:00 PM   #4

Sometimes the road getting into the site has been challenging, but other than that we have found that we usually can't park in the site but have to park in the parking lot.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:09 PM   #5
Dan

The length has not been an issue, but the height (compared to my previous tt) is what I have to watch. I scrubbed some tree limbs in a state park in Maryland this summer and chaffed the roof pretty good in one spot.

2013 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L CTD DRW CCLB
2015 White Hawk 28DSBH (trade-in)
2015 Eagle 355MBQS (trade-in)
2019 Jay Flight 29BHDB
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:10 PM   #6

I had the G614's on our last 40' full time rig, so I can relate to the cost of those. Excellent tires though. Only thing we had to worry about, as previously mentioned, is the height. Several parks we dealt with like to keep their "nature", which included low hanging trees. I like nature, but not when it damages my investments. I didn't mind getting on top of our rig to cut a branch or two. They didn't like it at all. BUT, they didn't want to fork over the $$$ for a new roof either, so usually backed off after a bit of conversation. I like to keep my rigs looking pristine, so nature loses on that one.

You would think parks would recognize this and respect the height of rigs huh?
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:03 AM   #7

Here is what I find a challenge. Having owned your rig and now my current 43' setup one of the main challenges is in a back in site. If you get into a narrow road type setup where the site may be plenty long but the road is not, turning the rig into the site can sometimes be a challenge. Especially when you have a neighbor who might have several vehicles lining the road across from you. We have all been there regardless of setup, but your going to need to get them out of the way in this case. These are usually the 90* to the road sites. The angled ones are easy.

While I have not had to abandon any chosen sites to date, I have had some close calls. Agree that sometimes the TV will be off on it's own due to length of the pad.

Another thing you will need to consider is that your back end will swing several feet on a turn so make sure that picnic table is clear and any trees as you exit. The dynamic is greater the longer you get.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 04:52 PM   #8

Like 3'senough said....most of the time it's the road for me. For some reason parks like to put the post to the opposite site in a not so good location.
I don't know if they like me pulling it out or not but most of the time that's the difference of me backing in or leaving.
That's one of the main reasons I went with solar. If I can't get in, then I can go to a non electric spot, or the parking lot.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:27 PM   #9

I can get mine into some pretty tight spots and it's ~40', the long and wide tow vehicle doesn't help though. Last winter I had to put it thru between a couple of palm trees and the road was barely 16' wide with a rock wall on the opposite side. Took some back and forth work to get the truck front end over. All the neighbors were watching but luckily no one came over to guide me, I'd rather get in and out myself than trust someone else.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
I can get mine into some pretty tight spots and it's ~40', the long and wide tow vehicle doesn't help though. Last winter I had to put it thru between a couple of palm trees and the road was barely 16' wide with a rock wall on the opposite side. Took some back and forth work to get the truck front end over. All the neighbors were watching but luckily no one came over to guide me, I'd rather get in and out myself than trust someone else.
I totally understand that,you never know which neighbor actually knows how to help or will make it harder on you.
kreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreid View Post
Hey er'body, I purchased a 2010 365bhs 5er back at the end of July, needs tires and I'm not putting El cheapos' on it so having to wait a little while to save up the $1400.00 for the G614s'. That being said,I haven't taken it anywhere yet but just want a little feed back from those of you that tow 40 footers. How much problems and what kind of problems have any of you guys had at campgrounds getting into your site. My last camper was a Fleetwood TT 32bh that was about 35' long. No real problems getting in any spots with it but did get tight from time to time.

Our previous fiver was just a tick under 40' long, and our new one (Jayco Eagle HT, 28.5BHXB) is about 35'.

We downsized a bit, for exactly the reasons you cited; Also, With our old rig, often we would have trouble finding spots at RV campgrounds when calling ahead and trying to make reservations. "Sorry, All of our big spaces are taken..."

It was also a heavy beast to tow with our SRW F250 diesel truck (it was 12,500 pounds, dry).

Our new Eagle HT fiver is under 10K dry, and the truck pulls it like its not even back there.

As to tires, go with LT tires, there are numerous threads on the subject.

On our old rig, I never had one tire failure or issue whatsoever, after switching to LTs. Had plenty of them, with ST trailer tires, despite methodical maintenance of tire pressures.

I will be putting LTs on the new fifth wheel, I only plan to keep the stock ST "china bombs" on there for one season.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:11 PM   #12

Sailun tires will save some money and are all steel with great reviews. make sure your wheels can handle the 110psi pressure.
As far as campsites, I only go where my 5er will fit....so far so good.
Mule: 2016 RAM Mega Cab Dually, 4X4, Demco HiJacker 21K Autoslide on RAM Puck, Laramie, 6.7, Aisin, 4:10's, 51 Gallon Titan fuel tank, Superhitch 30K lb receiver, Jack Rabbit bed cover.
Wagon: 2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA, Sailun G's, Center Point Air Suspension, 572 Watts Solar w/4 T-145s, Solid Step, 1 ton mini split HVAC, Back up cam.
Tote: Custom built swivel wheel tote (one torsion axle w/dual tires) with a Rampage lift.
Drifter1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:23 AM   #13

There are a few places I would be very leery about trying to get into. With a little over 43' certain roads and sites get pretty tight very quickly. my buddy went to one particular State Park near me with his 35 footer and had a lot of trouble. He told me there was no way he would even think about bringing mine through there. He said he was having trouble taking turns in the campground itself with trees. I play it safe and just stay away from there.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:32 AM   #14

After I got into the only available site in a CG in northern Kentucky I quit worrying about it. After all the cars around me were moved I did about 50 forward/backward full cranking on the front tires and go it. I had to park my truck in the road. But we got it.

Height is a bigger issue. Stay on truck routes even the 2 lane ones because the trucks trim the trees for you. I suggest you purchase a truck atlas. It will show you low bridges and 2 lane roads you should not be on. If a sign says no trucks, that sign is for you also.

most sites are deep enough for your camper, your truck once unhooked will be the issue on short sites.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:27 AM   #15

Are we legal

Here is food for thought.

http://www.goodsamcamping.com/plan/sizelimits.aspx

Just read a thead on here about width so it got me to nosing around a bit and found this chart. How can Jayco, or any other manufacturer sell us fifthwheels that are over 40'? Looks like 80% of the state's have a maximum 40' trailer length. Is there something that I am missing? Pin box to bumper (advertised length) is 42' 1" on mine, over all 43' 7". Although well under the 65' max combined length, I'm about 58' bumper to bumper. Surely trailer length isn't measured from tow vehicle rear bumper is it?
Hoppy220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:01 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
That's interesting, my advertised length of 37' 9" is non existing on my trailer, the lower box is 39 from front to bumper, and it's right at 45 pin to bumper, where do they get their specs, again, only height and width are accurate on my spec sheet

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk