Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-18-2014, 05:28 PM   #21

I used to park my trailer in some fairly deep gravel. 4-lo made backing the trailer in a breeze.
E rated Michelin LTX M/S2s

"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bansai
frieed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:54 PM   #22

Thanks everyone for your comments and opinions, they helped me sort through all I was thinking about.

After reading everyone's thoughts, I realized I should have looked at what my DW put on our walls at home. We have two stencils she put up.

The first reads:

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." St. Augustine.

The second reads:
"Two roads diverged in the wood and I took the one less traveled by and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost

Realizing we like to take the road less traveled (and the note about the driving on the beach hit home = tried it in Honda Van, almost got stuck), a 4wd is our best option. We could also do some off roading our west (saw some folks doing that in AZ back in 2007) which a 4wd would be a must.
Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:05 PM   #23

Of course the other aspect to this is ..

"Those without 4 wheel drive will get stuck when those with it will not. Those with 4 wheel drive will get stuck so far in that no one can get them out"

Then you start down the rabbit hole of winches, pull-pal, hi-lift jacks, snatch straps and shackles. Been there a few times myself, alone, and needed all to get home. It was a glorious adventure, but not with trailer in tow.
E rated Michelin LTX M/S2s

"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bansai
frieed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:13 PM   #24
Site Team

One poster said to get what meets your needs. Sounds like that is what you did. I have had a 2wd dually and 2wd SRW. For our needs and where we go, it is perfect.
Never have been anywhere but once that I could have used a 4wd and I was able to avoid getting stuck with better judgement.

I don't see how anyone could wear out 3 HD trucks in a lifetime so I'm content to wear out my 06 SRW 2wd. Just turned 95K.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by frieed View Post
Of course the other aspect to this is ..

"Those without 4 wheel drive will get stuck when those with it will not. Those with 4 wheel drive will get stuck so far in that no one can get them out"

Then you start down the rabbit hole of winches, pull-pal, hi-lift jacks, snatch straps and shackles. Been there a few times myself, alone, and needed all to get home. It was a glorious adventure, but not with trailer in tow.

+1, big time. Never got a 2wd truck stuck as bad as I got a 4x4 stuck! 1988 Suburban, sunk in the East Texas mud up to the rocker panels, that thing was a *****, when it got stuck, it really meant it! LOVED that truck though!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #26

As far as driving on the beach or sand goes, it doesn't matter if you have 4WD. You will get stuck if the sand is too deep (> a few inches). I found this out several times. My truck does NOT drive in the sand. It shakes and shutters and the sand gets thrown around. I don't think it matters what brand or size truck, it's a tire thing I believe.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:16 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPCamper View Post
As far as driving on the beach or sand goes, it doesn't matter if you have 4WD. You will get stuck if the sand is too deep (> a few inches). I found this out several times. My truck does NOT drive in the sand. It shakes and shutters and the sand gets thrown around. I don't think it matters what brand or size truck, it's a tire thing I believe.
Yep dune buggies are 2wd. To drive on the beach you need big tires, not tall but big fat wide tires. It's a PSI thing.

The problem with 2wd pickups it they don't weight much over the driven wheels. Weight and tire surface area = traction.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:50 AM   #28

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
Yep dune buggies are 2wd. To drive on the beach you need big tires, not tall but big fat wide tires. It's a PSI thing.

The problem with 2wd pickups it they don't weight much over the driven wheels. Weight and tire surface area = traction.
I'll buy the pickup-weight-in-the-back thing when driving on sand, but I'm not buying the 4wd gets stuck just as easy in sand. Can you get a 4wd truck stuck? You bet! See my post above (I ONLY get 4x4s stuck, never been stuck in a 2wd, but that's because 4wd gives me a false confidence).

DW's X-Terra is 4WD and it drives through the softest sand on the beach like a CHAMP while everything else is getting stuck or spinning tires...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 11-19-2014, 10:04 AM   #29

This thread started out good but is certainly 'straying' lately.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I'll buy the pickup-weight-in-the-back thing when driving on sand, but I'm not buying the 4wd gets stuck just as easy in sand. Can you get a 4wd truck stuck? You bet! See my post above (I ONLY get 4x4s stuck, never been stuck in a 2wd, but that's because 4wd gives me a false confidence).

DW's X-Terra is 4WD and it drives through the softest sand on the beach like a CHAMP while everything else is getting stuck or spinning tires...
I have a 4WD F350 and the only two times it's been stuck are... Once in a deep sand campsite, and once in a sand pit motocross area that I inadvertantly found while trying to turn around in a 2 track. I also have electronic locking differential. Doesn't matter how many wheel drive you have, certain tires are made for sand. Stock tires are not. Come visit Silver Lake sand dunes in MI and see how many people are in stock 1 tons driving around the sand. You won't find any.

You don't have to believe me but I'm just throwing it out there as caution. It takes snow like a champ though.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:23 PM   #31

Quote:
I have a 4WD F350 and the only two times it's been stuck are... Once in a deep sand campsite, and once in a sand pit motocross area that I inadvertantly found while trying to turn around in a 2 track. I also have electronic locking differential. Doesn't matter how many wheel drive you have, certain tires are made for sand. Stock tires are not. Come visit Silver Lake sand dunes in MI and see how many people are in stock 1 tons driving around the sand. You won't find any.

You don't have to believe me but I'm just throwing it out there as caution. It takes snow like a champ though.
Good point. And it's not that I don't believe you, it's just that my experience differs from yours. No right, no wrong, just different.

I have to wonder for pickups if it has more to do with weight than tires though...?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 11-19-2014, 01:37 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Good point. And it's not that I don't believe you, it's just that my experience differs from yours. No right, no wrong, just different.

I have to wonder for pickups if it has more to do with weight than tires though...?
Honestly, it took me by suprise. Wierd thing about the big trucks is that they weigh a lot but don't seem to on ice or sand for instance. Could have something to do with 65 PSI in the tires? Don't really know. But it's very hard on the truck and it shakes like crazy while digging holes.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #33

I've got 4X4 on my truck. It has come in handy getting the TT out of places after heavy rains and the ground got soft. But, whether you need 4X4, basically boils down to determining where you are going and the conditions you may be facing. We often camp, so we canoe or hike. Some of the put-ins or take-outs, we couldn't have gotten to without the 4X4 (not towing the TT into those places). I hear there can be a lot of mud to contend with in Alaska
16 ft.Nova Craft Prospector Canoe
2 12’ Old Town Loon angler kayaks
okraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:27 PM   #34

I like the option of having the low 4x4 gear. I have parked in some tight spots with soft ground and it is nice to be able to creep along.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:37 AM   #35

I think it depends a lot on your driving habits. I have 4 wheel drive and actually got stuck in my own yard on the first day out of a two week trip. It had rained the night before and I was in the habit of driving around my house to get out. Did not work. I did not spin the tires much though to dig a hole. Had to get a local farmer with a big tractor to pull the truck and trailer out. Won't do that again. Have a different way out at my homestead now! I have been in several campsites where after a rain, I could have probably gotten out with 2 wheel drive, but would have made a mess of the campsite. I prefer to leave as few tracks and damage as possible. I also agree about when you get a 4 wheel stuck, it can be bad. That being said, need to know the limitations. Getting a two wheel drive stuck and getting it towed out by wrecker can almost pay for the 4 wheel drive addition at purchase. I think the original poster has made up his mind by now and some interesting tid bits posted here. Good reading. Myself, I will always go for the 4 wheel drive unit.
Safe camping to all.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:46 AM   #36

Same as most others. I had 2WD and got stuck just pulling out of a grass spot after a rain. I bought 4WD when I traded and am glad I did. Yes, it still has limitations but I haven't been stuck yet in my 4WD.
2 spoiled rotten Scotties
skymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:51 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
I think it depends a lot on your driving habits. I have 4 wheel drive and actually got stuck in my own yard on the first day out of a two week trip. It had rained the night before and I was in the habit of driving around my house to get out. Did not work. I did not spin the tires much though to dig a hole. Had to get a local farmer with a big tractor to pull the truck and trailer out. Won't do that again. Have a different way out at my homestead now! I have been in several campsites where after a rain, I could have probably gotten out with 2 wheel drive, but would have made a mess of the campsite. I prefer to leave as few tracks and damage as possible. I also agree about when you get a 4 wheel stuck, it can be bad. That being said, need to know the limitations. Getting a two wheel drive stuck and getting it towed out by wrecker can almost pay for the 4 wheel drive addition at purchase. I think the original poster has made up his mind by now and some interesting tid bits posted here. Good reading. Myself, I will always go for the 4 wheel drive unit.
Safe camping to all.

You can get stuck, so to speak, with a 4 wheel drive, the trick to easily getting unstuck is to turn off the VSC so you can get all 4wheels turning at once. It's a good thing when driving down an icy road but not when your in deep snow or mud.

You didn't have to worry about this issue with older 4 wheel trucks cause they didn't have VSC which i'm not really fond of.

Same goes for new cars, spinning in a bit of snow, can't go anywhere, turn off VSC.
teevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:44 PM   #38

Sand driving is largely a psi game. When we drive on East coast beach, we drop psi to 5-8 and go on out. Out in Washington, we don't drop pressures much and stay on the hard pack. If you go to the beach and watch, locals run around in whatever they are in. They don't care about what tires they have much. They just know the terrain they are in.

Back to the subject, I suppose I am a bit old school, but I like a 4WD with manual hubs. I too use 4LO in many spots and having the hubs out makes it easier on the components and me.
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:28 AM   #39

Where is the volvo you had
Old 11-27-2014, 12:50 AM   #40

I have always towed with a 4x4. I have always lived in areas where snow comes in the winter. My theory is use it once and it's worth it. Kind of like having a 1 ton over a 3/4 ton truck. Might not really need it but sometimes worth it.