Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2022, 04:20 PM   #21

Question. Does the battery get overcharged when the rig is plugged in 24/7? I would like to leave ours plugged in all the time too.
pattyk7joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 04:24 PM   #22

Overcharge

I have a question. Does the battery get overcharged if you leave it plugged in 24/7. We check the battery regularly. If it’s plugged in 24/ 7 we would not need the battery maintainer?
Old 04-02-2022, 06:38 PM   #23
Site Team

If your RV is newer than our 2012, the onboard battery charger that's part of the power converter is a smart charger, like a battery maintainer, so an additional one isn't needed. You can leave it plugged in all the time, just check the battery acid level periodically. If a cell or two gets low, add distilled water to it. I'm not sure what year they started to install 3 stage chargers.

Wear protective gear like safety glasses and gloves when checking it, and no open flames or ignition sources near it. Sulfuric acid isn't good to get on you, and the vapors around it are highly flammable.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 09:18 PM   #24

Thanks for the info. We have a 2012 Jayco Melbourne.
Old 04-03-2022, 11:14 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81greer View Post
Do most of you leave your camper plugged in when not in use? 50 Amp
What harm can it do ???? We have our unit parked at a seasonal camp. it stays there overwinter. It gets plugged in to 110V AC 30 amp power last week of April and unplugged in first week of October. Fridge is on 110 volt for summer. Batteries are maintained by the converter and always ready. I don't know of anyone that unplugs while they are not in camp.
CBCOCRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 11:18 AM   #26

Further to my reply. We spend 3 to 4 nites per week at camp as do most of our fellow campers. TT is always left plugged in. Years ago when not at seasonal camp we would plug our RV in at home when not in use. Cheers
Old 04-03-2022, 11:29 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyk7joe View Post
I have a question. Does the battery get overcharged if you leave it plugged in 24/7. We check the battery regularly. If it’s plugged in 24/ 7 we would not need the battery maintainer?
My belief is that it is better for the batteries. Your converter maintains them to full power. Additionally I keep my TT batteries (2) and boat batteries (3) on a Deltran bench top charger/maintainer system in my garage over winter. My boat batteries are 10 years old and no problems. Our TT batteries are 3 years old. Original from factory. Cheers
Old 04-03-2022, 12:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
If your RV is newer than our 2012, the onboard battery charger that's part of the power converter is a smart charger, like a battery maintainer, so an additional one isn't needed. You can leave it plugged in all the time, just check the battery acid level periodically. If a cell or two gets low, add distilled water to it. I'm not sure what year they started to install 3 stage chargers.

Wear protective gear like safety glasses and gloves when checking it, and no open flames or ignition sources near it. Sulfuric acid isn't good to get on you, and the vapors around it are highly flammable.
I wanted to add to what JFlightRisk stated as I have had a battery explode in my face years back. While a spark or ignition source along with a gassing battery is the most common reason for a battery to explode, however in my case the battery was completely disconnected and had been off of the charger for at least 15 minutes or more.

My point to add and that I credit for me not having any serious issues when this happened is that I had glasses on but I also had the water hose running and laid on the ground next to me in preparations to wash out the battery tray. The running water applied to my eyes, face, and neck within seconds after the battery exploded prevented any issues. Therefore, I highly recommend to have a hose with running water ready to go when dealing with suspect batteries as you only have a few seconds to react if you get acid in your eyes before permanent damage occurs, and you have a little more time for acid on the skin so flush the eyes first.

BTW, the explosion was not loud or like a big bomb but was enough to rupture the battery case and spray acid, the plastic battery case pieces did not have a lot of force behind them, but the acid sure did. ~CA
Old 04-03-2022, 09:09 PM   #29

Thank you
Old 04-04-2022, 08:02 PM   #30

Always plugged in wherever shore power is available, and I have 400 watts of solar, too, which works great if the panels aren't burried under a foot of snow.

I check the electrolyte about once every 2 months, and I have to actually top off about twice or three times a year.

Battery bank is very happy.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 12:17 AM   #31

Although my 2017 Eagle HT has a 50amp service. I've found that a 15/50amp adapter works well to power the 15amp circuits. Specifically the converter to keep a charge on the batteries. I installed a 2 battery switch that allows me to disconnect both batteries from the system. This way I top charge then disconnect them during non-use/storage.