Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-18-2016, 05:28 PM   #1

50 amp hard wired surge protector

Does anyone know where to look on a Jayco Pinnacle to find where to splice in a surge protector?

Thanks
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:48 PM   #2

Take down the back wall of the storage area and put your surge protector in there.
Do like a lot of guys have done and pull your wires out of the converter panel and wire them into the surge protector then buy a few feet of 6 gauge wire from the Depot and wire those back into the converter. Don't cut your factory wires.
This way when you sell the rig, or something happens you can take your surge protector out and put the wires back like they were. Otherwise they will be too short.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Take down the back wall of the storage area and put your surge protector in there.
Do like a lot of guys have done and pull your wires out of the converter panel and wire them into the surge protector then buy a few feet of 6 gauge wire from the Depot and wire those back into the converter. Don't cut your factory wires.
This way when you sell the rig, or something happens you can take your surge protector out and put the wires back like they were. Otherwise they will be too short.
This is what I did on my previous trailer...and to the one we currently have. Makes changing it out easier too if you have a warranty issue.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:19 PM   #4

Thanks for the info

My surge protector has an incoming shore power side and a coach ( main load ) side.
Just want to make sure I install it properly.
After seeing the crappy job my last RV dealer did installing, I know I can do a much better job with it.
Everything on my Jayco Pinnacle is sooooooo different than the Mobile Suites I had.
Very pleased with the Jayco so far!!
Old 05-18-2016, 07:49 PM   #5

This my installation. You are looking towards the rear beneath the stairway. As Klassic suggests, behind the back wall of the basement.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	24152

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:54 AM   #6

I installed ours next to the transfer switch from the generator. It's located behind the back wall in back of the panel that has the central vac mounted on it (36 FBTS). Easy install and if you have questions call Progressive and they will gladly help you out. I did find that Jayco had swapped the wires as far as the color "code" that is in your directions so I just wired it in to match the way Jayco had wired the coach (wire color on the matching lug) just to keep things the same. I ran the remote wire up behind the converter and mounted the little monitor head below the inverter control panel. I removed the switch plate for the ceiling fan and brought the wire through the corner of that opening and didn't have to drill any holes. Make sure ALL your power is off-A/C & D/C before you mess with any wiring to avoid an oops. Good luck- it really is easy.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:28 PM   #7

I think most Jaycos are going to be similar in the install. No need to get fancy so I just installed mine and put it in the same place everyone else is suggesting. Easy install in under 2 hours and I even had to re-wire my outlet because it came from the factory with some major cuts on all wires.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8234.jpg   IMG_8235.jpg   IMG_8245.jpg   IMG_8246.jpg  
Old 05-19-2016, 04:10 PM   #8

50amp Surge Guard model 40240

Thank all of you for your replies.......
I took the panel off and am totally lost!
Nothing looks like I expected.
Not sure if an 2016 Pinnacle 36KPTS is different or what??
Old 05-19-2016, 04:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
Thank all of you for your replies.......
I took the panel off and am totally lost!
Nothing looks like I expected.
Not sure if an 2016 Pinnacle 36KPTS is different or what??
I believe all Jaycos have the inbound shore power on the drivers side so getting to that behind the panel is all you really need to do to install it.

Did it look like this or similar behind the panel?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8240.jpg   IMG_8241.jpg   IMG_8242.jpg  
Old 05-19-2016, 05:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthewind View Post
I believe all Jaycos have the inbound shore power on the drivers side so getting to that behind the panel is all you really need to do to install it.

Did it look like this or similar behind the panel?
It kind of looks like yours.....but think it is different??
On my old 5th wheel, when the dealer installed the surge protector they cut the cord and spliced into the surge protector.
On this Jayco I am not sure where anything is located.
It has the real on the rear drivers side to wind up the 50 amp cord & I don't see how I could get into that small space to install.
Not sure what I need to do.........
Old 08-01-2016, 10:39 AM   #11

Fingerlakes, I was hoping someone with a Pinnacle with a Generator would respond. I am about to do the hardwire install in mine and just wanted to confirm the incoming electric wasn't going somewhere else first before it gets to the transfer switch. Would have been nice if the power didn't have to run the length of the trailer before getting to the switch. Even if it kicks off there is still that hot feed all the way there.
Did you use 6 gauge wire for the connection from the EMS to the transfer switch?
Spanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:50 AM   #12

My suggestion is don't hard wire a surge protector......I did last year and it failed in Mexico. Progressive Dynamics unit failed on one leg, not the pedestal issue. had to get an electrician to splice the #6 wires together with crimped connectors. Cost a fortune to fix. I will never hard wire again.......pedestal only for me.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:34 AM   #13

No hard wire for us either.

We like portable (moveable) things like our Pathway X2 Sat dish, our Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C and of course our rig among other things.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loboclone View Post
My suggestion is don't hard wire a surge protector......I did last year and it failed in Mexico. Progressive Dynamics unit failed on one leg, not the pedestal issue. had to get an electrician to splice the #6 wires together with crimped connectors. Cost a fortune to fix. I will never hard wire again.......pedestal only for me.

My biggest concern was that the power would still be hot the entire length of the trailer until to the transfer switch in the front cargo area. Would only take 10 minutes to pull the shore power out of the EMS and put it right back into the transfer switch where it's located. Did you have any other damage other than the EMS?
Spanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:06 AM   #15

Spanky!-as far as I could tell the power goes straight to the transfer switch. I used #6/4 wire for the short piece I had to use as a "filler". Like you say- it wouldn't be very hard to jump back over to the original wiring if needed. I didn't want the portable device as they are not waterproof and could possibly be stolen. I ran the wire for the remote read out device up behind the converter (had to pull the converter out a little) and then out of the corner of the switch plate for the ceiling fan. I can see the read out from most anywhere in the lower living area making it very convenient. Also, I turned off ALL power sources before doing any work. No room for oops!
Old 08-02-2016, 12:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerlakes View Post
I didn't want the portable device as they are not waterproof and could possibly be stolen.
Well this from Progressive;

"Weather Resistant: Unit can be exposed to the elements, however, may not be submerged."

We don't plan on "submerging" our unit. Ours has been in all kinds of weather including heavy rain, thunderstorms, snow, strong winds, sand storms....you get the idea.

This also from their website;

"Built-In Locking Bracket:
Allows the user to secure the EMS to power source to prevent theft."

As far as being worried about someone stealing it there are ways we lock it to the pedestal but usually do not worry about it so not a good excuse in our opinion.

Oh...if we ever do decide to move to a new rig no problem bringing our portable EMS along.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loboclone View Post
Why didn't the bypass feature work?
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Why didn't the bypass feature work?

I didn't have a bypass feature
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky1 View Post
My biggest concern was that the power would still be hot the entire length of the trailer until to the transfer switch in the front cargo area. Would only take 10 minutes to pull the shore power out of the EMS and put it right back into the transfer switch where it's located. Did you have any other damage other than the EMS?
No
Old 08-02-2016, 06:35 PM   #20
Site Team

I have a buddy who put 50a plugs on his hardwired unit to allow it to be bypassed just in case.

I like my portable.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote