Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2016, 02:56 PM   #1

50 Amp Power Cord Damage

Long story short - truck and fifth wheel needed a tow this weekend. Tow truck driver hooked up while fifth was still plugged into generator, and ran over cord. He then proceed to tug at it to get it from underneath the tire as I watched from afar in horror. Didn't work, and I had to get it when it pulled forward after everything got hooked up.

I briefly looked at the cord and it looked a little flattened at the time.. I haven't seen it again to check for any rips or tears on the outside. Should I be concerned that the internals of the cord are damaged in someway I can't see and sacrifice my brand new extension cord to the round file? Any way (or thing?) to test it other than plugging it in?

Thoughts?
datx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:05 PM   #2

On my cord I can unplug it from both ends it is not permanently attached to trailer, If yours is same I would plug into power and use a meter to make sure it seems ok. Just running over it shouldn't be a big deal. Him yanking the heck out of it may be different. however my cord is pretty stout so unless he was pulling on just the cord cap it is probably fine
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:33 PM   #3

I doubt you'd have any issues using the cord. Those cords are pretty stout, and I suspect many folks have ran over their cords at some point and still used them afterwards. As far as testing, you can test for continuity using a multi-meter. Otherwise, you can plug it in and see if anything sparks!

Seriously, If you don't see any physical damage (other than being a little flatter), it should be fine.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:06 AM   #4
BCK

The only real way to test it is by doing an insulation resistance test. We use a megger and run either 500VDC or 1000VDC depending on the cable rating. This tests the integrity of the insulation on the individual conductors. A continuity test with a volt meter won't tell you anything unless there is a complete break.

That being said the cords are rated for extra hard usage and designed to withstand things like being run over without failing. Unless it was sitting on a rock or similar it's likely ok.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCK View Post
The only real way to test it is by doing an insulation resistance test. We use a megger and run either 500VDC or 1000VDC depending on the cable rating. This tests the integrity of the insulation on the individual conductors. A continuity test with a volt meter won't tell you anything unless there is a complete break.

That being said the cords are rated for extra hard usage and designed to withstand things like being run over without failing. Unless it was sitting on a rock or similar it's likely ok.
If you can find a megger, that's the route I'd take too, and if not, I'd at least ohm it out with a meter. It takes quite a bit to flatten a 50amp cord, and your guy just may have split the insulation open. I'd certainly check it first without power. I have seen large power cords destroyed by driving over them before, but they've been laying on a concrete floor and it was a pretty heavy tug that did the damage.
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:22 PM   #6

If you are worried enough, cut the cord off and replace it.

Add the detachable connector to the trailer and you're all set!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:26 PM   #7

It will be just fine. I am bad about leaving my drop light laying on the floor and have run over it a 100 times and thats just a pos cord with very light weight wire. No problem to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:27 AM   #8

Thanks for all the comments! As always, love this forum!
datx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx22f/c View Post
It will be just fine. I am bad about leaving my drop light laying on the floor and have run over it a 100 times and thats just a pos cord with very light weight wire. No problem to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is not the attitude to take. No cord should ever be run over. A megger check of the cable will tell you if the insulation in the cable has been damaged enough to cause issues/shorting. Using a multimeter set to ohms doesn't put out enough Volts to effectively tell you IR (insulation resistance)

If you want to chance it and use it, I hope you at least have an EMS.