Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2020, 04:46 PM   #1

50amp Surge Guard

My trusty Southwire 50amp Surge Guard 34850 has worked great for about 7 years, but the seal has failed and moisture is getting in. Looks like there are several options now, that didn't exist when I bought mine. There is a product by EMS-PT50X and Camco has one now (Power Defender). Generally I like the Camco products. Anybody have any opinions on these newer options? I have no problem going with another Southwire product. It saved our rig many times from electrical issues.
SoonerCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:57 PM   #2

https://hughesautoformers.com/power-...ge-protectors/
https://www.progressiveindustries.net/
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:23 PM   #3

While I have some issues with Southwire's slow response on an issue I was having (they did eventually work with me on resolving the issue) as far as features go their newer 50A unit (34950) matches up well with the Progressive unit. The newer Surge Guard unit also provides protection on the line and load side so if you develope an open neutral or some type of grounding issue in the RV it will detect those issues. The Surge Guard unit also has a higher Joule rating (ability to absorb energy) than the Progressive unit (4,200J versus 3,580 for the Progressive 50A EMS-PT50X) and issues are displayed in plain text rather than codes.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:50 PM   #4

I use the surge guard 3451 with wireless remote display. I got it from Eric at TechnoRV
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:54 PM   #5

Hughes Watch Dog with Bluetooth.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:55 PM   #6

I’ve had a Surge Guard brand hard wired unit with a wired display that has been awesome since 2006. On second fifth wheel. Still works perfect.
Would definitely buy again.

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:44 PM   #7

I had a hardwired Progressive in our previous fifth wheel. Worked very well but did have to replace the circuit board once. This time I bought the portable Watch Dog by Hughes. It is really nifty being able to see what is happening with its blue tooth connection. I can also reset from my phone if need be. Very pleased so far.
F350guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:00 AM   #8

I got the plug and play Progressive Industries unit and am very happy with it. Cut power to my RV at 3 different campgrounds so far. At one it happened a few times so the voltage drop to my site must have been bad.
Last one it was a real low voltage level at each phase, I think that time it may have saved me some components. Been using almost 2 years so it is not really to old.
Jayco 19XUD 2016 (traded-in)
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffur View Post
I use the surge guard 3451 with wireless remote display. I got it from Eric at TechnoRV

There is a good article at Techno RV here....
https://www.technorv.com/articles/do...rge-protector/

It is biased towards Surge Guard but they are fully transparent about it, as it is their business model to do research and choose one product in a given category to sell and support.

We have the remote as well. With it I could convince Joan that she did not have to worry about her hair drier when running the A/C's and the microwave and the....

We actually have two of them with one as a hot spare.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:46 PM   #10

Hughes Watch Dog with the Bluetooth. You can monitor power usage and voltage on each leg on a 50 A device.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:59 PM   #11

Hughes Autoformers PWD50-EPO Power Watchdog Smart Bluetooth Surge Protector Plus EPO with Auto Shutoff - 50 Amp Portable Version
81greer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81greer View Post
Hughes Autoformers PWD50-EPO Power Watchdog Smart Bluetooth Surge Protector Plus EPO with Auto Shutoff - 50 Amp Portable Version
Banned in RV parks by the National Electric Code
Old 10-26-2020, 07:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
Banned in RV parks by the National Electric Code
First I've heard of that but I think maybe you are referring to the auto transformer/conditioner Hughes makes, not the Watchdog. Two different products with two different functions. I didn't think the transformer is actually banned but some parks don't like explaining why everyone has low voltage except for the guy who has one. It may also affect the availability of power to those who don't have one from what I've read. The Watchdog does not do that. It just shuts you down if there is a bad power situation, like the other brands do.
F350guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
First I've heard of that but I think maybe you are referring to the auto transformer/conditioner Hughes makes, not the Watchdog. Two different products with two different functions. I didn't think the transformer is actually banned but some parks don't like explaining why everyone has low voltage except for the guy who has one. It may also affect the availability of power to those who don't have one from what I've read. The Watchdog does not do that. It just shuts you down if there is a bad power situation, like the other brands do.

You are probably right about the Watchdog model; I reacted to the "Hughes Autoformers" part of the post. Autoformers/ Autotransformers are forbidden by the 2020 NEC according to electricians on another well known forum that focuses on RV Electricity.

Some will argue that "Autoformers" are not the same as autotransformers, but many use the terms interchangeably.

Normally I would cite my source, but I have already been admonished by moderators here for referencing other forums, even when it is a matter of public safety.
Angus
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
Old 10-28-2020, 01:36 PM   #15

Quote:
You are probably right about the Watchdog model; I reacted to the "Hughes Autoformers" part of the post. Autoformers/ Autotransformers are forbidden by the 2020 NEC according to electricians on another well known forum that focuses on RV Electricity.

Some will argue that "Autoformers" are not the same as autotransformers, but many use the terms interchangeably.

Normally I would cite my source, but I have already been admonished by moderators here for referencing other forums, even when it is a matter of public safety.
Angus
there are no Autotrans former police.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:41 PM   #16

I switched to the Hughes Watchdog after my sure guard had a melted end from a overheated, bad connection.

10 days with the watchdog now, no issues, it caught an over draw before it tripped the parks breaker and I was able to reset it from the App,I love the app! I’ve been calculating all my loads to design a good solar system!
Attached Thumbnails
2E29CC84-2B17-475F-9F76-9868A675FE60.jpg  
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:07 PM   #17

We've had a Southwire Surge guard 30 Amp model 34931 since February and it's already saved us from open-ground problems at two different campgrounds and once with a low-power situation. Paid for itself already and I won't hesitate to get another Southwire when, or if, it needs replacing.
Bugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
I switched to the Hughes Watchdog after my sure guard had a melted end from a overheated, bad connection.

10 days with the watchdog now, no issues, it caught an over draw before it tripped the parks breaker and I was able to reset it from the App,I love the app! I’ve been calculating all my loads to design a good solar system!

I forgot to mention, the watchdog has a replaceable surge module that will take numerous hits before it needs to be replaced, which can be preformed by the owner.
Old 11-01-2020, 12:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post

That was likely dirty/ poor connection at the pedestal. Following a recommendation from RV Electricity author and expert Mike Sokol, I use DeOxit D5, a contact spray cleaner. A 5 oz can cost $15 on Amazon but the can I bought a year ago is still going. I spray it it the pedestal socket, the SugeGuard and my 7-wire trailer plug at every set-up. It also makes inserting and disconnecting easier so Joan and I don't fall on our butts following a tug of war pulling the Surge Guard off the plug.

Angus
Attached Thumbnails
DeoxitD5.jpg  
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
Old 11-01-2020, 03:49 PM   #20

Quote:
That was likely dirty/ poor connection at the pedestal. Following a recommendation from RV Electricity author and expert Mike Sokol, I use DeOxit D5, a contact spray cleaner. A 5 oz can cost $15 on Amazon but the can I bought a year ago is still going. I spray it it the pedestal socket, the SugeGuard and my 7-wire trailer plug at every set-up. It also makes inserting and disconnecting easier so Joan and I don't fall on our butts following a tug of war pulling the Surge Guard off the plug.

Angus
Yes, piss poor connection caused the issue. And Thank you! I will try it.