Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2018, 12:02 PM   #1

5er sags on driver side

Installed new tires a month ago and was notified the driver side of 5th wheel sags 1".
Loaded up 5er for our trip to Washington state. The driver side seems to sag more mow. At rest stop noticed 3 1/2" bed clearance on driver side and 6" on passenger side.
The 5er is max weight 14 ,995#. It is 40' north point. Thinking of putting 2 new springs on driver side rated for 4,000 or more. Thinking this would help level.unit better for driver side weight since there are two slides on that side.
Thoughts please. Thanks.
hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:22 PM   #2

I would definitely check your springs. Visual observation should reveal something like flat to negative arch or worse yet cracked leaf. I lost a spring 2 seasons ago and replaced all 4 with 7 leaf and have been happy since. While there I put on shocks as well.

Also you cannot change by side, must be by axle or you will have alignment issues.

I would not tow it until you confirm what's causing the issue. The last thing you want is to be stranded with a cracked spring. Trust me I know the feeling as I limped home when mine broke.

Springs are only about $65.00 each.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:24 AM   #3

Thank you 3'senough. Tried to get in shop but couldn't wait for parts. Maybe at next stop.
Springs arn't flat or negative yet, but I did notice one looks weaker than others. My plan is to get 4 new 7 leaf installed as soon as I can. Hope all is ok till then.
hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #4

I doubt you have any suspension problem. We have a 2017 Eagle 355MBQS, it has 3 slides on the drivers side, including the large kitchen slide with a residential fridge. I have noticed that it sets lower on that side when towing. I got to thinking about it and almost all storage inside the camper is on that side. Even the storage in the bathroom is on that side. I know everyone says the camper needs to be loaded equally, but I have no idea how you could do that. In the kitchen, the pantry is on the same side as the fridge also. All of the cabinets in the kitchen are on the drivers side also, I think the only fix you would have would be heavier springs on the drivers side, not sure it will help though.
oh355mbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:06 PM   #5

Add 2 leaf springs driver side, amazing Jayco can make such a serious design flaw! Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:06 PM   #6

On our 2007 Cameo, it sagged too. Turns out the axles were bent after wife went over railroad tracks doing 85 MPH (just kidding but that is what I keep telling her!). We blew a tire & think the tow driver lifted by the axle to change the tire. Just a thought.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote