Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-14-2021, 06:43 PM   #1

5th wheel/8' bed/Lab/Carrying Crate OMY!

What is the best dog box/crate that is suitable for a Labrador? (85lbs) I have a 5th wheel and a 8ft bed. With our dog being on the bigger side of dogs. He will need to go into the truck bed, if at all possible. If anybody has any suggestions or recommendations on what they are using or have seen, that would be helpful. Thank you.

David
DRC2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:02 PM   #2

We would never consider putting our Lab in the back of our truck. She always rode in the backseat of our Tundra, from the time she was a young pup up to the time she died 14 years later. Our current 30lb dog has taken her place and loves to ride. If you have no room in the truck, why not let him ride in comfort inside the trailer? Beats the wind, noise and exhaust fumes in the bed of the truck.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:14 PM   #3

I also have a 16 year old and a 10 year old that will be fighting over imaginary borderlines in the backseat. The lab will probably win out anyhow's. Well I'm looking for a crate to load him into, for the back of the truck. I thought that was illegal to put your dog in the trailer your pulling? Thanks for the advice though. For the frequent stops we will be doing, letting him ride inside of a crate shouldn't be a problem. With the RV community that is out there. I just thought someone has come across this before.
DRC2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:19 PM   #4

We travel with 3 felines & a Great Dane. The cats ride in crates (stacked) while the Great Dane is on the back seat next to them. Presuming you have other passengers riding on the back seat which is why you are asking about a crate in the bed of the truck. When we have left the rear window open, the noise from the hitch is too much. This may be very disturbing for the dog. The other item for a dog that large is getting a crate that will fit in the bed & the dog without the trailer hitting it. We have an Extang tri-fold cover which would not allow for anything.

Would we put the animal in a crate in the unit? No. Why not? Because if they get in distress, there is no way for us to know. And with the slides in, there is no room for a crate.

Only other option would find a dog sitter while you are gone.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC2021 View Post
I also have a 16 year old and a 10 year old that will be fighting over imaginary borderlines in the backseat. The lab will probably win out anyhow's. Well I'm looking for a crate to load him into, for the back of the truck. I thought that was illegal to put your dog in the trailer your pulling? Thanks for the advice though. For the frequent stops we will be doing, letting him ride inside of a crate shouldn't be a problem. With the RV community that is out there. I just thought someone has come across this before.
When our children were still at home and we traveled, the dog would sit (or lay) on the backseat in the middle. The dog? At separate times, a Great Dane, then 2 Dalmatians, then another Great Dane. Did the kids fight? Only if they got the dog's rear end!
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote