Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2019, 10:40 AM   #1

5th Wheel Build Standards

Are Eagle, North Point, and Pinnacle fivers chassis, walls, and roofs built in the exact same manner? If not what are the differences? Is one line built more solidly?
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunafulltime View Post
Are Eagle, North Point, and Pinnacle fivers chassis, walls, and roofs built in the exact same manner? If not what are the differences? Is one line built more solidly?

I understand that Northpoints and Pinnacles are built similarly with the big difference being the width. Pinnacles are 6" wider, up to the the maximum street legal. They are both in about the same weight range and are heavier than the Eagles. Both are now warranted for full-time living.

The Eagles are a lighter build, but i do not mean that in the pejorative. Different design objectives. But I'll let others add more, maybe some of those who have owned both.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:12 PM   #3

When shopping for our new RV the salesman told us there's a separation between the Eagle's and the NP/Pinnacle models. Primarily it's the frame and the flooring. AS stated by Joan5617 the frame are noticeably different. The flooring is a vacuum sealed marine sandwich floor in the Eagle models. NP/Pinnacle models have the traditional 5/8 plywood floor.

the roof on our NP is now called a "De-stressed". In that the roof curves over the top.

If you look at the front you should notice the lines are not at 90 degrees at the bottom. This makes the NP/Pinnacles lower to the ground and provides a larger cargo area.

The test to understand how Jayco has altered the flooring is to call Jayco and talk to a tech as our NP is now 2yrs old and who's knows how many changes have happened.

"Loving our Life"

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:45 PM   #4

Another couple of things I thought of.

NorthPoints and Pinnacles come with something called "5 star handling package". Just means Goodyear tires, some suspension upgrades and a MoRyde pinbox that features rubber motion dampeners. Again, it implies heavier use.

Northpoints and Pinnacles normally require a one-ton truck -something with a "35..." in the name - and often a dual rear wheel configuration for the added pin weight. Eagles can often be towed safely with a smaller truck. You can start a bar fight over required truck sizes and any 5ver so do your own research. But this is where the lighter weight of the Eagle can be an advantage depending on your usage expectations.

Good luck
Angus
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
Old 08-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #5

NP & Pinnacles also have the "Z" frame. You can tell this by the front corners nearest the ground are at an angle. Same as other manufacturing companies.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
Northpoints and Pinnacles normally require a one-ton truck -something with a "35..." in the name - and often a dual rear wheel configuration for the added pin weight. Eagles can often be towed safely with a smaller truck. You can start a bar fight over required truck sizes and any 5ver so do your own research. But this is where the lighter weight of the Eagle can be an advantage depending on your usage expectations. Good luck,Angus
I have to agree that a DRW is what should be used to tow a NP or Pinnacle. But it depends on your "comfort range". While traveling for the last 3 months, I've seen 5th wheels and toy haulers the size of Godzilla being pulled with a SRW. If you're comfortable with the "tail wagging the dog" then go for it. I've been in some very strong side winds with my Pinnacle and my TV is as solid as a rock............that's my comfort sound!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:06 PM   #7

What are your thoughts about full-timing with one of these models? We like the Pinnacle 36kpts.

Also, I understand that Jayco does not "precrack" the walls at the joint where the frame makes an "L" in the front. Why so most "precrack" the walls and Jayco does not?
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:58 PM   #8

Never heard of "pre-cracking. Don't even like the sound of it.

We live full time in our Pinnacle with four small dogs and four cats. Our living area and Kitchen is the same as what you are looking at and our bed and bath are configured a little differently. We gave up the front hanging closets in favor of a couch with a bay window in front, giving us a seperate lounge area if one of us wants to chill out. We have plenty of room.

When friends come to look at "our little camper" they are are quite surprised. A buddy who has had a Jayco travel trailer for years for vacations walked in to our place and said "I get it. This is really a home".

As far as practical living matters, it works well. The gas oven is flakey and hard to hold a temperature and we are still figuring out the micro-convection. The Fridge is nice like the old house. I use the 18" Weber tabletop charcoal grill a lot.

Two 15k Heat pumps keep us cool when it's triple digits outside in the sun with no shade and high humidity.

Washer and dryer are smallish but work well. We do a small load every day. I had low expectations for the central vacuum system but it works well. With eight pets we use it a lot and the little "mail slot" inlet at floor level is awesome. The hose can reach the truck if I park it right and use the vacuum connection in the basement.

Storage space is plenty and we are about 700 lbs under max gross without a generator.

The TV's are adequate.

Good luck with your deliberations!

Angus
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
Old 08-13-2019, 01:58 PM   #9

The Eagle still has a plywood floor also. The sales person may have been talking about a lighter version.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote