Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-15-2019, 04:12 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Mopar_Earl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Saint Thomas, PA
Posts: 1,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
So you are indicating that in Tow/Haul mode it prevents the transmission from shifting into 6th gear? Everything that I read on the Tow/Haul feature is that it keeps the transmission in each gear longer, which makes sense. Nothing I've read speaks to keeping it out of 6th gear.
Old school tow/haul would lock out overdrive. Not anymore. Especially when you have double overdrives. You're correct, on late model Ram's it changes shift points and causes progressive downshifting. I run in tow/haul all the time cause I prefer the shift points it offers. Also it makes the exhaust brake a lot more aggressive. On Rams you can lock out gears down to 1st. But you have to manually do it.


Earl
__________________

Mopar_Earl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:16 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
rkymntsno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Schertz
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Old school tow/haul would lock out overdrive. Not anymore. Especially when you have double overdrives. You're correct, on late model Ram's it changes shift points and causes progressive downshifting. I run in tow/haul all the time cause I prefer the shift points it offers. Also it makes the exhaust brake a lot more aggressive. On Rams you can lock out gears down to 1st. But you have to manually do it.


Earl
Exactly. That's what I did, I locked out 6th gear cuz we were running hills. Just kept it from downshifting on the hills cuz in 6th at 65 we're at about 1700 rpms.
__________________

__________________
2018 Ram 3500 CC Longhorn LB SRW w/timbrens
2019 Jayco Eagle 355MBQS
Pullrite 2600 Superlite
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:31 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Gallatin, Tn.
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Your 3500 truck with 3.42 gears has the Chrysler trans, not the Aisin? Did a quick look. The 3.42 was an option on the 68 trans. First I've heard of it. Only seen 3.73. Aisin you only have the 3.42, no other option unless you go dually with Max tow group.

So you have the lesser rated engine with the 68 trans. Does that change your gvwr and gcwr compared to the Aisin?


Earl
Having the 68RFE instead of the Aisin drastically reduces your capability numbers. Problem is, most guys just look at generic numbers for their truck, and think they're ok. Most of the time, they're not. Ram has bodybuilder sheets that show every number with all truck options. Most people don't have a clue.
__________________
2016 Octane 273(traded)
2018 377RLBH(traded)
2020 Seismic 4113
2010 Ram 3500 4x4 long bed crew cab
2003 Royal Star Venture 1300cc
MontyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:39 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Gallatin, Tn.
Posts: 104
His truck, if it's 2wd, has a payload of 5,790LBS
MAX TOWING 20,620LBS


If 4wd,
Payload 4,120LBS
MAX TOWING 16,650LBS


That's from the Ram website.
__________________
2016 Octane 273(traded)
2018 377RLBH(traded)
2020 Seismic 4113
2010 Ram 3500 4x4 long bed crew cab
2003 Royal Star Venture 1300cc
MontyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:40 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Mopar_Earl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Saint Thomas, PA
Posts: 1,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyRV View Post
Having the 68RFE instead of the Aisin drastically reduces your capability numbers. Problem is, most guys just look at generic numbers for their truck, and think they're ok. Most of the time, they're not. Ram has bodybuilder sheets that show every number with all truck options. Most people don't have a clue.
Yep. Also pays to look at the door sticker when you're looking at the truck at the very least. I've used the bodybuilder several times for various reasons. Lots of very detailed info provided. When I bought my 07 2500 I wanted regular cab to get the highest payload I could. Needed a 4 door truck so went to a 18 3500 SRW long bed to get the highest payload. Also went tradesman for less options for less weight. I'm no where near dually weights. Maybe 10 years down the road.


Earl
Mopar_Earl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:09 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
rkymntsno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Schertz
Posts: 157
My 2018 Ram 3500 CC Longbed SRW 4x4 has a payload of 4200. That is backed up by my weights at the CAT scales. Of course two fuel tanks filled at 92 gallons, along with the auxiliary tank itself, and a hard tonneau cover over a long bed. took up some of that payload. Trust me. I know my numbers. I got burned with the Ram 1500 and just skipped over the 2500 altogether. A lot of 2500 owners are over their payload pulling a fifth wheel. So many deny it until they go to the CAT scales and find out.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 CC Longhorn LB SRW w/timbrens
2019 Jayco Eagle 355MBQS
Pullrite 2600 Superlite
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:20 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: OKC
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
So am I right in towing around 2000 rpms in 5th gear?
I tow at about 16-17,000 loaded and lock out of 6th gear as well. I like 65mph towing and I'm around 2,000 RPM's too. I'd like to go to 6th gear on flat land have have done it in the past. I did read (online of course) that towing heavy in 6th gear with the 68rfe is not good. I don't know why but I did believe that.

I haven't towed heavy in 6th gear much, but did just let Chrysler replace my 68RFE. I don't know if it could be related at all, but I was having a high pitch whine in 6th gear when driving. Most noticeable at highway speed when taking my foot off the accelerator. She would whine in 6th gear as I was coasting. Dealer said the planetary gear(s) had failed with some metal shavings in the tranny.

So for me, after that i'm gonna keep it locked out of 6th. Again, I don't know if towing heavy in 6th had anything to do with the failure, but locking out of 6th doesn't seem like a bad idea. When I tow lighter (5K lb boat) i'll use 6th.
__________________
2016 Road Warrior 355
2015 Ram 3500 Cummins SRW 4x4 MegaCab ShortBed
2011 F150 ecoboost - Traded
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:28 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
rkymntsno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Schertz
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by hboy View Post
I tow at about 16-17,000 loaded and lock out of 6th gear as well. I like 65mph towing and I'm around 2,000 RPM's too. I'd like to go to 6th gear on flat land have have done it in the past. I did read (online of course) that towing heavy in 6th gear with the 68rfe is not good. I don't know why but I did believe that.

I haven't towed heavy in 6th gear much, but did just let Chrysler replace my 68RFE. I don't know if it could be related at all, but I was having a high pitch whine in 6th gear when driving. Most noticeable at highway speed when taking my foot off the accelerator. She would whine in 6th gear as I was coasting. Dealer said the planetary gear(s) had failed with some metal shavings in the tranny.

So for me, after that i'm gonna keep it locked out of 6th. Again, I don't know if towing heavy in 6th had anything to do with the failure, but locking out of 6th doesn't seem like a bad idea. When I tow lighter (5K lb boat) i'll use 6th.
Same here. The only thing I pull is my 5'er, and that's a heavy pull. But if I've got straight flat land, I'll keep it in 6th. But if hills are coming up and I know it's gonna shift anyway, I'll lock out 6th and keep it in 5th.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 CC Longhorn LB SRW w/timbrens
2019 Jayco Eagle 355MBQS
Pullrite 2600 Superlite
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:40 PM   #39
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Rossville TN
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyRV View Post
Having the 68RFE instead of the Aisin drastically reduces your capability numbers. Problem is, most guys just look at generic numbers for their truck, and think they're ok. Most of the time, they're not. Ram has bodybuilder sheets that show every number with all truck options. Most people don't have a clue.
That would be only in a dually, in which the Aisin gives you around 30k max trailer,verses 22k with the 68 trans.
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle HT 26.5RLS
2018 Ram 2500 CC SB 4x4 diesel
garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:21 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
AKRUEBBE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Sequim, WA until April 30th
Posts: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyp4951 View Post
That would be only in a dually, in which the Aisin gives you around 30k max trailer,verses 22k with the 68 trans.
x2 love the Aisin!!
__________________

__________________
AL & JANET KRUEBBE
2019 PINNACLE 37RLWS
2018 NORTH POINT 315RLTS (TRADED)
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.