Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2020, 03:09 PM   #1

5th Wheel Docking Lights

I have a 2015 Eagle H/T 28.5 RSTS 5th wheel with LED lights in the nose presumably to help in hitching. For some reason these lights are always on when my LED awning lights and amber step lights are on. I have searched for a switch to turn them off but there is not a switch under the front of the unit as suggested in other posts. I have tried to find access to the wires so I could either disconnect completely these lights or perhaps install a separate switch. Does anyone else have this problem, and have you found a solution in locating the wires? At this point I just usually leave the lights off so as not to annoy campers nearby.
Scott627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:25 PM   #2

That is how your trailer was wired. I have read many complaints about this.
Not such a good idea by Jayco.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:35 PM   #3

thanks for the reply. I sort of guessed that others have complained about this wiring situation. What I would like to know is how to locate the wires feeding these LED docking lights so that I could modify the circuit. For example, I went into the switch panel and found only one wire that feeds all three lights. I could not find the individual wires for the Docking LEDs. I have checked in areas below the king pin area, but wondered if maybe I could get access to the wires if they are perhaps wired from above the bedroom ceiling. Perhaps if I removed the bedroom light I could find the wires traveling to the nose of the unit. Has anyone solved this problem?
Old 09-09-2020, 09:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott627 View Post
I have a 2015 Eagle H/T 28.5 RSTS 5th wheel with LED lights in the nose presumably to help in hitching. For some reason these lights are always on when my LED awning lights and amber step lights are on. I have searched for a switch to turn them off but there is not a switch under the front of the unit as suggested in other posts. I have tried to find access to the wires so I could either disconnect completely these lights or perhaps install a separate switch. Does anyone else have this problem, and have you found a solution in locating the wires? At this point I just usually leave the lights off so as not to annoy campers nearby.

Our 2018 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS has 3 switches under the nose cap. One for the forward facing amber strip lights, one for the white bed (hookup) lights and one for a single white light used when accessing the front storage area. My thought is Jayco figured out a single switch for everything wasn't a great idea, so they updated it in later models.

I personally love the amber lights and would probably leave them on at night as a site marker or security lighting for my TV... however I suppose it's bright enough to annoy someone parked nearby, so being able to turn them off is preferable.

Suggestions:
* Add a secondary light by the door - maybe something solar powered that comes on with motion?
* Tie into 12v lights (awning) and install a light w/switch that's independent of what you have now.
* park in a spot that faces away from other campers
* attempt to find the amber light wires and install a switch to turn them off while the other lights are on.

Good Luck
Old 09-09-2020, 09:52 AM   #5

I would like to leave the amber light under the door on, but the LED Docking lights at the nose are aimed toward the campers across the street. I do want to change the circuit by adding a switch to turn off the docking lights, but I can't find the wires inside the walls/ceiling/floor of the camper to make changes.
That is where I need help in locating those wires.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott627 View Post
I would like to leave the amber light under the door on, but the LED Docking lights at the nose are aimed toward the campers across the street. I do want to change the circuit by adding a switch to turn off the docking lights, but I can't find the wires inside the walls/ceiling/floor of the camper to make changes.
That is where I need help in locating those wires.

I would contact Jayco customer service for wiring details. You'll have to provide them your rig info - make/model/VIN . I believe you can fill out a form on the website or send them an email requesting the info. Sorry - don't have that info handy but easy enough to find.