Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2019, 07:51 PM   #21

Fourteen months into ownership and the front cap began to fade. I found holes in the cap around the area of the clearance lights while inspecting it. The local Jayco dealer took pics and Jayco authorized a sand and repaint. Numerous cracks were found when sanding commenced. Dealer sent more pics to Jayco and was able to get them to replace the cap with a new one under warranty. I haven't inspected it closely in recent months but it was ok the last time I looked at it. I haven't sealed it and never will and I will never wax it either. Jayco dealer always had my back during the warranty...even though I did not it from them. Gotta give it to them, this unit has had it's share of birth marks and they stood by me.

2020 Ram Longhorn 6.7 Cummins Aisin CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 371FLFS
JaycoAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:17 AM   #22

My buddy had his repainted (out of warranty) and new decals and his cost was $1000 total. $1500 to me seems pretty reasonable.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
My buddy had his repainted (out of warranty) and new decals and his cost was $1000 total. $1500 to me seems pretty reasonable.
If it were not brand spanking new, I might allow them to cheap out a bit. His was obviously was not 4 months off the dealers new lot when it got in line for warranty work. Did they just scuff and paint like Maaco? Did they sand his down and start over? Did they do his with single stage or paint and clear coat? Is it warrantied from happening again?

My dealership tells me the going rate in this area is 2 grand and they will have to try to find someone who will do it for 3/4 of that cost. So you think the dealer (that I did not buy this from) should eat the 500 dollars? Frankly, I am not willing to accept some half arshe job, because your buddy did. I bought a brand new trailer with a 2 year warranty that has failed paint in literally 90 days from purchase.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoAl View Post
Fourteen months into ownership and the front cap began to fade. I found holes in the cap around the area of the clearance lights while inspecting it. The local Jayco dealer took pics and Jayco authorized a sand and repaint. Numerous cracks were found when sanding commenced. Dealer sent more pics to Jayco and was able to get them to replace the cap with a new one under warranty. I haven't inspected it closely in recent months but it was ok the last time I looked at it. I haven't sealed it and never will and I will never wax it either. Jayco dealer always had my back during the warranty...even though I did not it from them. Gotta give it to them, this unit has had it's share of birth marks and they stood by me.
I agree the local dealership seems to be taking care of this, eating the price themselves. I didn't buy it there, so they must be banking on me getting it serviced there in the future.

I am curious why you don't want to seal or wax your RV?
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
If it were not brand spanking new, I might allow them to cheap out a bit. His was obviously was not 4 months off the dealers new lot when it got in line for warranty work. Did they just scuff and paint like Maaco? Did they sand his down and start over? Did they do his with single stage or paint and clear coat? Is it warrantied from happening again?

My dealership tells me the going rate in this area is 2 grand and they will have to try to find someone who will do it for 3/4 of that cost. So you think the dealer (that I did not buy this from) should eat the 500 dollars? Frankly, I am not willing to accept some half arshe job, because your buddy did. I bought a brand new trailer with a 2 year warranty that has failed paint in literally 90 days from purchase.
I agree this issue shouldnt be happening at all let alone 90 days after purchase. Why the trailer manufacterors still use gel coat is beyond me. You would think cost and agervation would force them to do it the right way. The point I was trying to make is maybe the guy your getting the 2K price from is out of line.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:00 PM   #26

I am starting to go through the same thing with my local CW dealer on an '18 Eagle bought new last April. It was my first 5'er and was naive enough to purchase the "extra" protection coating for the paint. We camped a total of 6 times from end of April to end of October. 5'er was washed after every trip and waxed twice. Front cap is oxidized and has cracks on both sides of the accent lights. Spoke to Service dept. today and they are submitting pics to Jayco. Fingers crossed. Is there a way to contact Jayco directly and use the VIN to get a status update of claim? Thanks,
Afrnd2all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:21 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrnd2all View Post
I am starting to go through the same thing with my local CW dealer on an '18 Eagle bought new last April. It was my first 5'er and was naive enough to purchase the "extra" protection coating for the paint. We camped a total of 6 times from end of April to end of October. 5'er was washed after every trip and waxed twice. Front cap is oxidized and has cracks on both sides of the accent lights. Spoke to Service dept. today and they are submitting pics to Jayco. Fingers crossed. Is there a way to contact Jayco directly and use the VIN to get a status update of claim? Thanks,
Jayco requires the last 8 digits of the VIN when inquiring about your coach. Ask for someone in customer service towable division. They should be able to help. (574)825-5861

Old 04-26-2019, 03:46 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
I agree the local dealership seems to be taking care of this, eating the price themselves. I didn't buy it there, so they must be banking on me getting it serviced there in the future.

I am curious why you don't want to seal or wax your RV?
A multitude of reasons why I don't. In the 90's, I had a travel trailer that I babied with wax myself as well as paying to have it waxed and it still faded. Never again. I don't have the time, desire, or energy (and glad of it) to wax anything now. I wash it twice or maybe three times a year inside the building using a silicone based car wash soap made at a local chemical co. Put it on. Rinse it off. It's due a wash now. Maybe I'll drag it out and wash it outside for a change.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:49 PM   #29

I have a advertisement from Jayco at location.

https://www.jayco.com/lfw-lp/pdf/fro...2RWGTlLbX7T_CI

that states : Most fifth wheels in the industry use paint-infused fiberglass front caps—which are can fade in the sun and develop a chalky feel months after purchase. We’ve eliminated these concerns on our Luxury Fifth Wheels with fully painted and clear-coated front caps. In fact, we’re one of the few companies in the industry that takes both of these extra steps to ensure that your caps look great for years to come.

Here is an article in The National Law Review stating that Express warranties such as the advertisement below are affirmative promises about the quality and features of the goods being sold. Illinois courts have found that brochures and advertisements may constitute express warranties.

https://www.natlawreview.com/article...ential-damages
Attached Thumbnails
Front cap.png  
and
2 Zuchons or ( Beesh&*s) named Maggie and Bullet
silveradoboomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5erl front cap fading