Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-16-2019, 05:02 PM   #1

Angry 5th wheel Front cap fading

Have had 39 ft Jayco 2017 5th wheel for one year when we noticed frontcap fading. This was purchased new . Has anyone had luck with warranty covering sanding down, repainting and then clear coat. Two different dealers tried to get this done for us and all Jayco will allow is 10 hrs which doesn’t allow enough for painting. We feel this would just be a temp fix and not resolve the issue of their faulty product.

Thank you.

Twinsjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsjj View Post
Have had 39 ft Jayco 2017 5th wheel for one year when we noticed frontcap fading. This was purchased new . Has anyone had luck with warranty covering sanding down, repainting and then clear coat. Two different dealers tried to get this done for us and all Jayco will allow is 10 hrs which doesn’t allow enough for painting. We feel this would just be a temp fix and not resolve the issue of their faulty product.

Thank you.
Sorry to hear that. Have you kept a good coating of wax or paint sealer on it since you've had it? My North Point is a year old and it still shines like the day I took delivery. However, I've applied paint sealant on the cap when it was four months old.

2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsjj View Post

Thank you.
JAYCO buys caps from a 3rd party as do most RV manufacturers. There are numerous reports on JOF where JAYCO has paid for re-painting when the caps failed. Sounds like the dealers' you've contacted are milking the time based on the fact many have reported that JAYCO covered the work before.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:03 PM   #4

My 2017 Eagle is in the shop now for front cap crack repairs and repaint and new decals under warranty. The cap started fading quickly.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
My 2017 Eagle is in the shop now for front cap crack repairs and repaint and new decals under warranty. The cap started fading quickly.

Earl
My 2018 didn't make it three months before the fading started. It is at the dealership and I should get an answer from Jayco this week.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:19 PM   #6

Our ‘13 faded pretty quickly and Jayco payed to have it repainted. 4 years and counting and it still looks great. I think there’s a bit of work involved (sanding the jell coat off before painting), so 10 hours may not be enough.
Grumpy is probably on to something with his “milking” comment. I’d suggest contacting Jayco directly and explain that your local dealers can’t/won’t perform the work and what should you do. Perhaps they will accept a non-Jayco estimate and cover the work.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:42 AM   #7

I had the same problem. My dealer took pictures of it and sent them to Jayco and they approved repainting the entire front cap and decals. Looks like new again. Hope it lasts this time.
1carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
JAYCO buys caps from a 3rd party as do most RV manufacturers. There are numerous reports on JOF where JAYCO has paid for re-painting when the caps failed. Sounds like the dealers' you've contacted are milking the time based on the fact many have reported that JAYCO covered the work before.
As explained to me by the Jayco Dealer service department that painted our cap, if you do not remove the GEL COAT down to the fiberglass, the oxidation will reappear in due time. I had the service department take pictures of the cap when it was sanded down to fiberglass so that I was positive that they followed the directions. Sanding it down to the fiberglass was the requirement that Jayco gave to the dealer. The dealership also guaranteed the pain job for 5 years, could not go wrong with that.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:28 AM   #9

Warranty warranty!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:51 PM   #10

Not real happy right now! Jayco responded (through the dealership) that my cap fading was not a problem on a brand new trailer. Jayco has "offered $1500 good will" to repair it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	front cap discolored 2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	48535
BS is my answer.

madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5erl front cap fading