Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2016, 10:34 AM   #21

I much prefer my old 5th Airbourne pin than the MorRyde that's on my NorthPoint now. I should have swapped during the trade.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:52 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
We have the Mor-Ryde pin box and I think it works very well. Are the M-R box and Revolution compatible?
I'm not sure if we understand your question.

You can't have a Mor-Ryde pin box and a Revolution as they are both pin boxes.

The Mor-Ryde will help the ride and reduce the bucking and chucking. The Revolution moves the piviot point back for short box trucks instead of using a slider.
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
Thanks to all. If I'm understanding correct. I have to change both the in bed hitch and the pin on the RV to achieve a smother ride? Not just the hitch in the bed? I was hoping I could just make a change to the in bed hitch and leave the RV as is.

I will have to do some homework.
You can get cushioned hitches instead of changing the whole king pin. The issue is usually in the cost of going to one, but it can be bought. Here is one example.

TS3 Air-Ride Hitch - Trailer Saver

But in order to keep your sidewinder type pin you will need to go with an Elite Airborne Sidewinder, and they are north of $1500.00.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebra View Post
I'm not sure if we understand your question.

You can't have a Mor-Ryde pin box and a Revolution as they are both pin boxes.

The Mor-Ryde will help the ride and reduce the bucking and chucking. The Revolution moves the piviot point back for short box trucks instead of using a slider.
That was kinda what I thought but the thread drifted to several recommendations for the M-R box and in Shorty's original post he mentioned having the Revolution.
I'm easy to confuse.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:01 PM   #25

I may have missed something along the way, but if he has a cheap fifth wheel hitch, it's it possible that it doesn't have a pivot allowing tilting side to side which causes the rough ride? I know about chucking and such, but that seems to be more concrete roads and he mentioned asphalt, which makes me think it may be locked side to side that is causing the issue.

Just a different thought...
Old 02-23-2016, 08:54 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
I much prefer my old 5th Airbourne pin than the MorRyde that's on my NorthPoint now. I should have swapped during the trade.
klassic,

That is what I will be doing -- already made arrangements with the dealer to do the swap for me; my current 5th Airborne goes on my new 377 and the MORryde that comes on the 377 goes on my trade-in. They will be charging me 2 hours labor which I think is fair and I will be there when they do it so I can make certain that the proper measurements are taken and it is mounted correctly.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:37 PM   #27

After reading all the input on this thread, I emailed Jayco. The following is their answer.

"Sorry but with the OEM Revolution pin box we do not have a method to reduce "chucking"."

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:51 PM   #28

After reading all the input on this thread, I emailed Jayco. The following is their answer.

"Sorry but with the OEM Revolution pin box we do not have a method to reduce "chucking"."

Shorty
Old 02-24-2016, 06:44 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post

Shorty
Pretty much why I went with the Mor-Ryde Pin Box and a Pullrite SuperGlide hitch. I would have liked the Revolution but I can't stand the bucking and chucking. I would get sick.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:58 AM   #30

I have to apologize, I had a senior moment, the response I received was not from Jayco, but from Reese Towing Tech Support.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:57 AM   #31

Similar questions about hitch/pin box combos

Totally new 5er here and I have similar questions but a. I don't want to hijack the thread and b.) I don't want to start a new one with the same questions and get chastised!

So, my tow vehicle is a 2015 Ram 2500 4X4, 6.4 bed with the OEM gooseneck/5th wheel tow package. We're getting ready to order a 2016 Eagle 317RLOK and we're in the same situation regarding hitches/pin boxes etc. We want to do it right from the start and everything I'm reading about sliders is: they're a pain, people forget and do some cab damage, they're never used, and so on. So Jayco has the Reese Revolution 90 as an option to avoid the short box issues but after reading this thread I'm starting to rethink that because of all the chucking issues mentioned with that pinbox. I also have issues with getting sick with too much bouncing around so I'm looking for some advice.

I've looked at pairing the revolution with the B&W Companion which basically drops into the factory pucks or the Reese RP30160, which again, drops right in. This combo looks like it's less hassle although more expensive. So, any help with some combo recommendations for a short box that would reduce chucking/shaking etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Inthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:39 PM   #32

Okay now I'm confused! I have a 2012 Chevy 2500 Duramax with a B&M gooseneck ball. We are looking at the Jayco Eagle 325BHQS. I was thinking about getting a B&M companion for the hitch. Am I hearing correctly that the ride will be rough unless you change out the pin box with an Mor-Ryd or an Airborne. That seems to be an added expense after paying around a $1,000 for the Companion. Am I missing something?
LesBevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:40 PM   #33

If you order your 325BHQS, the Mor-Ryde pin box MSRP option is $637.00 IMO you should pay about $450 + tax. You will need to be the judge if it's worth the money or not.

This video although biased because it was produced by Mor-Ryde was the convincing factor for me to order my 323LKTS with the Mor-Ryde Pin Box.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:13 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthewind View Post
Totally new 5er here and I have similar questions but a. I don't want to hijack the thread and b.) I don't want to start a new one with the same questions and get chastised!

So, my tow vehicle is a 2015 Ram 2500 4X4, 6.4 bed with the OEM gooseneck/5th wheel tow package. We're getting ready to order a 2016 Eagle 317RLOK and we're in the same situation regarding hitches/pin boxes etc. We want to do it right from the start and everything I'm reading about sliders is: they're a pain, people forget and do some cab damage, they're never used, and so on. So Jayco has the Reese Revolution 90 as an option to avoid the short box issues but after reading this thread I'm starting to rethink that because of all the chucking issues mentioned with that pinbox. I also have issues with getting sick with too much bouncing around so I'm looking for some advice.

I've looked at pairing the revolution with the B&W Companion which basically drops into the factory pucks or the Reese RP30160, which again, drops right in. This combo looks like it's less hassle although more expensive. So, any help with some combo recommendations for a short box that would reduce chucking/shaking etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
You should look into the Sidewinder/5th Airbourne combo pin if you don't want a slider.
I rarely use my slider, but one day I'm going to forget and I won't have a back window.

The money you save not getting the slider and not getting the MorRyde will probably come close to the Sidewinder. Plus your hitch will be much lighter too.

I had the just the 5th Airbourne on my previous unit and there was very little chucking.
I have the MorRyde on my current unit and if its reducing the chucking, then driving with out it would be near impossible.
I don't understand the hype of the MorRyde. Maybe mines broken. It stinks
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:19 PM   #35

Quote:

Thanks!
Make sure it's the Ram setup for starters on the hitch or get the frame adapter and you will have more options. I would also look at the Reese Elite Airborne Sidewinder which will give you cushion against chucking.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:07 PM   #36

We pull our 5th with a SB 350 using a B&W Companion non-slide. My insurance co spent $500 for me to learn that I shoulda got a slider. I haven't ,but am cautious when turning. That said, the 5ths I saw at the show this year seemed to have more rounded caps that "maybe" would allow tight turns with short beds and non sliders. Last I looked a pin like the Sidewinder was discouraged by B&W. I still have the B&W and plan to keep it. If I were to start over I'd get a slider, prolly manual.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:02 PM   #37

Quote:

Thanks!

I have a 2014 ram 3500 with b&w Rock 3600 hitch (for the ram pucks). I use a sidewinder (revolution) with it and it works good. I get some chucking on concrete expansion joints but otherwise I don't get much. I had to take my mor ryde pinbox off to do this. I love the b&w hitch as it is of the highest quality with great jaws. I could not get a 5th airborne revolution as the biggest they had was 16k and I needed more. However, if u had a dually (more payload capacity) I would seriously look at the ts3 hitch. It's awfully heavy and pricey but from all accounts it works fantastic. And it would work with any camper since the hitch stays with the truck and is not specific to a camper like a pinbox can be
Old 02-25-2016, 10:04 PM   #38

Also, b&w does not recommend using their companion hitch with a sidewinder/revolution but they are ok with using their puck hitch (rvk 3600) with a sidewinder:revolution because there is no way the puck hitch can twist or turn due to the four locking tabs (vs being attached via a single point on the turnover ball)
Old 02-26-2016, 04:09 PM   #39

Thanks everyone for all the helpful comments.

Its looking more and more like it will be the B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Hitch for Ram Towing Prep Package - Dual Jaw - 25,000 lbs, BWRVK3600, and the 5th Airborne Premium 5th Wheel Air Ride King Pin w/ Sidewinder and Turret - 16,000 lbs, RP61422.
I'm still waiting on an answer about compatibility because on the Etrailer website it says:

Note: Do not use the 5th Airborne Sidewinder with any of the following:
  • Curt Q5 5th-wheel trailer hitch
  • PullRite SuperGlide 5th-wheel trailer hitch
  • Reese Trail Boss 5th-wheel trailer hitch
  • B&W 5th-wheel trailer hitch

So, does that comment about the B&W 5th-wheel trailer hitch mean the B&W Companion RVK3600? Theres a special specific wedge sold: SWW-06, 5th Airborne Custom Wedge for B&W Fifth Wheels, so it's somewhat confusing. Hey, but this is a challenge so I'm loving it!
Inthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:25 PM   #40

Quote:
Thanks everyone for all the helpful comments.

Its looking more and more like it will be the B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Hitch for Ram Towing Prep Package - Dual Jaw - 25,000 lbs, BWRVK3600, and the 5th Airborne Premium 5th Wheel Air Ride King Pin w/ Sidewinder and Turret - 16,000 lbs, RP61422.
I'm still waiting on an answer about compatibility because on the Etrailer website it says:

Note: Do not use the 5th Airborne Sidewinder with any of the following:
  • Curt Q5 5th-wheel trailer hitch
  • PullRite SuperGlide 5th-wheel trailer hitch
  • Reese Trail Boss 5th-wheel trailer hitch
  • B&W 5th-wheel trailer hitch

So, does that comment about the B&W 5th-wheel trailer hitch mean the B&W Companion RVK3600? Theres a special specific wedge sold: SWW-06, 5th Airborne Custom Wedge for B&W Fifth Wheels, so it's somewhat confusing. Hey, but this is a challenge so I'm loving it!
Contact b&w or ettailer directly. You CAN use the ram puck b&w with the sidewinder/revolution. B&w website has a thing about this also. I spoke with both before I chose mine and it's all good
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote