Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2016, 07:18 AM   #1

5th wheel hitch

Not sure how to ask. I purchased a new Jayco 31.5 FBHS back in 2012. It is my first experience at towing a 5th wheel thus I have no experience to compare too. I have the Reese Revolution on the 5er and a Reese hitch (nothing fancy just what the dealer sold me) in the bed of my truck. What I’ve learned is: The ride is smooth when on a smooth road. When on a “wavy” road, I get beat up. (By wavy, I don’t mean rough, or potholes, etc just not smooth and level) One twenty mile stretch of county blacktop road near my home that I did travel on, I now travel six miles out of the way to avoid.

My question is: Is there a different type of hitch I can install in my tow vehicle to absorb some of the shock?
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:23 AM   #2

What is the tow vehicle?
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:37 AM   #3

It is a Duramax.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
Not sure how to ask. I purchased a new Jayco 31.5 FBHS back in 2012. It is my first experience at towing a 5th wheel thus I have no experience to compare too. I have the Reese Revolution on the 5er and a Reese hitch (nothing fancy just what the dealer sold me) in the bed of my truck. What I’ve learned is: The ride is smooth when on a smooth road. When on a “wavy” road, I get beat up. (By wavy, I don’t mean rough, or potholes, etc just not smooth and level) One twenty mile stretch of county blacktop road near my home that I did travel on, I now travel six miles out of the way to avoid.

My question is: Is there a different type of hitch I can install in my tow vehicle to absorb some of the shock?
The Revolution by itself will not help reduce any bouncing or chucking. Reese makes a 5th Airborne Pin Box that works with the Revolution that could help. May I presume you have a short bed truck? I recommend you contact Reese Tech Support, they are very helpful -- Reese
I do not have the Revolution but have been towing with a 5th Airborne Pin Box for almost 7 years and love it so much that I plan on transferring it to my 377RLBH that is on order.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:47 PM   #5

Quote:

Shorty, I recently bough the Reese Titan and the MOR/Ryde pin. I went with those to avoid an uncomfortable ride. The combination is great on the road! Un-hitching has not been easy, but I think it is just my inexperience. I hope this helps.
gemib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:03 PM   #6

I have the Curt Q20 with a MOR/Ryde pin. Very nice ride indeed.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:09 PM   #7

The Mor/ryde pin hitch is the way to go in my opinion. They have a rubber shock absorber that greatly reduced the pitching on rough roads. An air bag pin hitch would probably be get the job done but personally I would want to steer clear of air bag hitches.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
The Mor/ryde pin hitch is the way to go in my opinion. They have a rubber shock absorber that greatly reduced the pitching on rough roads. An air bag pin hitch would probably be get the job done but personally I would want to steer clear of air bag hitches.
Very interested your comment about "air bag hitches" (pin boxes?). Have you had a bad experience with one? Both the shock absorber and air bag on my 5th Airborne Pin Box are enclosed -- inside the pin box frame and not exposed for damage like some other brands are. Almost 7 years and going strong.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:55 PM   #9

My opinion on air bags are not directed solely at pin boxes. In my experience, there is a finite life span on air bags in general. Sooner or later they are going to leak or blow. I have had several on vehicles, both add ons and built in. They have always needed replacing before the life of the vehicle had ended. The construction of the mor/ryde pin hitch has no bladder to leak but effectively reduces road shock to the TV and trailer frame.
I certainly was not condemning any product. Just stating a inherent possible issue for that type of pin box down the road.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
My opinion on air bags are not directed solely at pin boxes. In my experience, there is a finite life span on air bags in general. Sooner or later they are going to leak or blow. I have had several on vehicles, both add ons and built in. They have always needed replacing before the life of the vehicle had ended. The construction of the mor/ryde pin hitch has no bladder to leak but effectively reduces road shock to the TV and trailer frame.
I certainly was not condemning any product. Just stating a inherent possible issue for that type of pin box down the road.
I can understand your explanation and certainly respect your opinion. Air Bag Suspensions are exposed to all sorts of dirt, grime and road debris. In my case we store our RV indoors and only use it once a month. Based upon that and the fact that the air bag/bladder is small and enclosed -- not exposed to the sun or directly to the elements, I am hoping for a continued long life for it -- and it will most likely outlast me!! I have never towed with the MOR/Ryde pin box but have heard nothing but positive reports. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:21 PM   #11

In my younger years, everything I owned had a life span of 20 to 25 years. Rubber or butyl air bags deteriorate over time. because I am a farmer and kept everything until it couldn't be patched up any longer, I got to experience air bags under extreme conditions. Thats why I said what I did. I would think you would never experience the extremes that I subjected equipment to.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:05 PM   #12

Quote:
It is a Duramax.
Does that have sufficient suspension for you pin weight?

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:34 AM   #13

Shorty,

I have had experience with 2 different models of Trail Air pin boxes. The original L05 model and most resently, with the Tri-glide. The Tri-glide gave us a much nicer ride because, it had the air bag for up and down and the king pin which moved back and forth.

They are not cheap! But, the Mor/ryde pin box is currently on the Pinnacle. I'm going to give it a chance to prove itself. If I don't like the ride it gives us in a few weeks when we head 950 miles south, it is getting replaced with the Trail Air tri-glide.
dalengail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:18 PM   #14

I have an air ride hitch and it works very well when set up correctly.
Tim&paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
I have the Curt Q20 with a MOR/Ryde pin. Very nice ride indeed.
X2

2020 Ram Longhorn 6.7 Cummins Aisin CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 371FLFS
JaycoAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:28 AM   #16

You need a cushioned pin, by way of either Mor Ryde which I would endorse or the Airborne.

My first 5th I did not purchase with and would up changing it out on my own. Second unit I ordered with the Mor Ryde knowing better.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:59 AM   #17

Thanks to all. If I'm understanding correct. I have to change both the in bed hitch and the pin on the RV to achieve a smother ride? Not just the hitch in the bed? I was hoping I could just make a change to the in bed hitch and leave the RV as is.

I will have to do some homework.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:42 AM   #18

No! Only the pin box on the trailer, normally!
dalengail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:48 AM   #19

Rubber Pin Box - MORryde Products
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:59 AM   #20

We have the Mor-Ryde pin box and I think it works very well. Are the M-R box and Revolution compatible?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote