Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2016, 07:18 AM   #1

5th wheel hitch

Not sure how to ask. I purchased a new Jayco 31.5 FBHS back in 2012. It is my first experience at towing a 5th wheel thus I have no experience to compare too. I have the Reese Revolution on the 5er and a Reese hitch (nothing fancy just what the dealer sold me) in the bed of my truck. What I’ve learned is: The ride is smooth when on a smooth road. When on a “wavy” road, I get beat up. (By wavy, I don’t mean rough, or potholes, etc just not smooth and level) One twenty mile stretch of county blacktop road near my home that I did travel on, I now travel six miles out of the way to avoid.

My question is: Is there a different type of hitch I can install in my tow vehicle to absorb some of the shock?

Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:23 AM   #2

What is the tow vehicle?

2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:37 AM   #3

It is a Duramax.
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
Not sure how to ask. I purchased a new Jayco 31.5 FBHS back in 2012. It is my first experience at towing a 5th wheel thus I have no experience to compare too. I have the Reese Revolution on the 5er and a Reese hitch (nothing fancy just what the dealer sold me) in the bed of my truck. What I’ve learned is: The ride is smooth when on a smooth road. When on a “wavy” road, I get beat up. (By wavy, I don’t mean rough, or potholes, etc just not smooth and level) One twenty mile stretch of county blacktop road near my home that I did travel on, I now travel six miles out of the way to avoid.

My question is: Is there a different type of hitch I can install in my tow vehicle to absorb some of the shock?
The Revolution by itself will not help reduce any bouncing or chucking. Reese makes a 5th Airborne Pin Box that works with the Revolution that could help. May I presume you have a short bed truck? I recommend you contact Reese Tech Support, they are very helpful -- Reese
I do not have the Revolution but have been towing with a 5th Airborne Pin Box for almost 7 years and love it so much that I plan on transferring it to my 377RLBH that is on order.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post

Shorty, I recently bough the Reese Titan and the MOR/Ryde pin. I went with those to avoid an uncomfortable ride. The combination is great on the road! Un-hitching has not been easy, but I think it is just my inexperience. I hope this helps.
gemib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:03 PM   #6

I have the Curt Q20 with a MOR/Ryde pin. Very nice ride indeed.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:09 PM   #7

The Mor/ryde pin hitch is the way to go in my opinion. They have a rubber shock absorber that greatly reduced the pitching on rough roads. An air bag pin hitch would probably be get the job done but personally I would want to steer clear of air bag hitches.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
The Mor/ryde pin hitch is the way to go in my opinion. They have a rubber shock absorber that greatly reduced the pitching on rough roads. An air bag pin hitch would probably be get the job done but personally I would want to steer clear of air bag hitches.
Very interested your comment about "air bag hitches" (pin boxes?). Have you had a bad experience with one? Both the shock absorber and air bag on my 5th Airborne Pin Box are enclosed -- inside the pin box frame and not exposed for damage like some other brands are. Almost 7 years and going strong.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:55 PM   #9

My opinion on air bags are not directed solely at pin boxes. In my experience, there is a finite life span on air bags in general. Sooner or later they are going to leak or blow. I have had several on vehicles, both add ons and built in. They have always needed replacing before the life of the vehicle had ended. The construction of the mor/ryde pin hitch has no bladder to leak but effectively reduces road shock to the TV and trailer frame.
I certainly was not condemning any product. Just stating a inherent possible issue for that type of pin box down the road.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
My opinion on air bags are not directed solely at pin boxes. In my experience, there is a finite life span on air bags in general. Sooner or later they are going to leak or blow. I have had several on vehicles, both add ons and built in. They have always needed replacing before the life of the vehicle had ended. The construction of the mor/ryde pin hitch has no bladder to leak but effectively reduces road shock to the TV and trailer frame.
I certainly was not condemning any product. Just stating a inherent possible issue for that type of pin box down the road.
I can understand your explanation and certainly respect your opinion. Air Bag Suspensions are exposed to all sorts of dirt, grime and road debris. In my case we store our RV indoors and only use it once a month. Based upon that and the fact that the air bag/bladder is small and enclosed -- not exposed to the sun or directly to the elements, I am hoping for a continued long life for it -- and it will most likely outlast me!! I have never towed with the MOR/Ryde pin box but have heard nothing but positive reports. Thanks for sharing.