Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #1

5th Wheel Hitch

I don't know if i am in the right section of the forum, so feel free to move the thread if needed.

I have a Husky 16k sliding 5th wheel hitch. Lately when I have tried to pull the lever that releases the pin it won't budge. I have tried to move the TV up or back a bit to see if the pin is bound, but this usually doesn't work. The dealer told me to try lifting the 5er a little more off the hitch. I already lift it until the weight is off of the TV like they said during the day i picked up the unit. I wait unil I can begin to see daylight. Maybe a quarter of an inch or so. I have tried less and more but it doesn't help. Usually after i fiddle around with this for a while it finally comes loose. I have the hitch thoroughly lubed with graphite spray per the dealer. I use the fiber doughnut as well. Thoughts? Is anyone else with a Husky hitch having this problem? BTW this only started with the last 2 or 3 unhitchings.

Dealer says it could be wearing out but I have only had it since August 2011 and we have only been camping with it five times.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #2

I have the 16K Husky Hitch also, when we had our 05 Eagle 5th Wheel we never had any problems unhooking.

Now with our Pinnacle that has the Mor/Ryde Pin Box, it seems to be more challanging to get unhitched sometimes.

Do not know if you have the Mor/Ryde Pin Box.

Robert

Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #3

I don't think I have a Mor/Ride pin box unless that is what comes standard on 2011 Eagles. I think the pin box is by Dexter, the same as the frame. What do you mean by "challenging"? Are you experiencing the same problems with unhitching as I am? My dad has a Reese and has never had a problem.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #4

The Mor/Ryde Pin Box is optional, it is a Rubber Isolated Pin Box, it is a little more challanging to get unhooked because of the Rubber Pin Box.

If there is any side or front to rear load on the pin box, the hitch does not want to unlatch. I am getting better at it, just different from our Eagle.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #5

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:09 AM   #6

I can't help but think this issue is hitch related. I have the B&W Companion hitch and also the MorRyde pin box and have never had a problem with unhitching.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #7

Be sure the trailer is level side to side. I have had this problem also with the husky!
Old 03-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #8

I have the Mor-Ryde pin box and Reese sliding hitch, and have no problems if ,when ready to release the hitch, I put the truck in reverse and remove all forward pressure from the hitch prior to pulling the handle. Hope this helps!
JT Strongarms
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #9

Took our new FW for a little ride yesterday and had a problem getting it unhitched when leaving it to get a hitch welded on. When looking at it, I wasn't level and it just wouldn't let me pull the rod to un-hitch it. Finally, just took the pins out of the sides and lifted up the whole top plate. Once it got level, it just dropped off. Today, when un-hitching, it was just a piece of cake, no binding or anything like that. However, it was quite level. That may be your problem. I have a Reese sliding hitch, 3,750 hitch weight and 15,000 total weight.
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #10

Thanks everyone. I am going over to the storage yard this weekend,which is pretty level and give it another try. If it isn't performing to my liking, I am going to take the hitch back to thee dealer for an inspection. By the way, my dealer is Richardson's RV in Riveerside, CA. great people. Very paaatieent and helpful.