RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-23-2020, 07:21 AM   #1

5th wheel hitch options

We just ordered a 2021 Eagle 321RSTS. We will be towing with a 2020 Chevrolet 3500 SRW standard bed 4 x 4 diesel with the factory installed puck system. There are quite a few new options in terms of hitches and rotating pin boxes since we last had a fifth wheel several years ago when I had a Reese sliding hitch. The manual sliders are a PITA and I’d like to avoid if possible.

I have been looking around at the current hitches and rotating pen boxes and would like to get feedback ideally from people with a truck and camper like mine. The options that I have looked at and my thoughts are below. Please give me your thoughts on these and whether you agree or disagree with my assumptions and other considerations.

PullRite super glide – this seems like a well respected hitch my concern is that you have to back perfectly straight onto it to connect.

Rotating pin boxes. – these seem like the ultimate solution since it put you back 8 inches or so farther than even the sliding hitch does. What am I missing on these? Still have the same concern whether reasonable or not about having to back in perfectly straight to get connected.

PullRite Superlite - I have seen some discussions about the super light where if I mount the ball in front of the king pin that may give me enough to make tight turns. I’m not sure that would put the front of the trailer far enough back?

Manual sliders - the B&W companion and the Blue Ox Super ride look like good options.

Thanks
WV Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:43 AM   #2

Have you considered Andersen Ultimate?

2017 Northpoint 377RLBH
2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually, 4x4
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:06 AM   #3

I just watched some videos, looks like a nice setup. I wonder how tight I could turn? We have a very tight area where park at home and this is a consideration for us.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV Camper View Post
I just watched some videos, looks like a nice setup. I wonder how tight I could turn? We have a very tight area where park at home and this is a consideration for us.
If you have a short bed (6.5), you can turn the Anderson Ultimate hitch 180 degrees so the ball is towards the rear of the truck. You can also turn the pin attachment 180 degrees.

https://andersenhitches.com/uploads/...d%20trucks.pdf

2017 Northpoint 377RLBH
2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually, 4x4
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:20 AM   #5

I like my B&W but it’s the only 5th hutch I’ve owned. It’s a non-slider and I understand they now offer a slider that uses the pucks (wasn’t available when I bought mine) and the puck-Mount is great.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Uneven ground will get you closer to the cab than on flat ground. So while it may look good on flat ground, you could be off. A guy posted recently that he hit his cab with an anderson hitch on unlevel ground.

If I went short bed, I'd get an automatic slider hitch and never worry about it. I only buy long bed trucks, so fortunately I don't have to worry about it.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:31 AM   #7

The new Chevy standard beds are 6í10Ē. It doesnít seem like much, but those 5-6Ē make itís possible to tow almost any modern radius capped fifth wheel with a normal hitch.

Iím towing with an Andersen Ultimate in my short bed Ram. No contact with the cab, and I have taken it past 90į in a parking lot just to test. The problem Iím having is the pin box taking chunks out of the plastic cap on my tailgate. Having the ball turned around puts it back just a little too far.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:51 AM   #8

I am a huge fan of the B&W hitch. I have the companion slider with the factory puck system on a 2019 F-250. I like that the B&W offers two positions for the location of the centerline of the pin-box relative to the axle centerline (1" forward of the axle and 3" forward of the axle.) I have mine set at 3" forward, which puts more weight on the front and reduces the rear suspension sag: keeping my low-beam headlights out of oncoming driver's eyes! The Ford shortbed box is about 6'9" and would be quite similar to your Chevy. I never have to slide my hitch back, and get very close to 90 degrees.
I also like the option of using the slide if I am in a very uneven approach - it can help with bedrail clearance on steep approaches.
I have several acquaintances that have had problems with the rotating pin-box, so I chose to stay away from that design. There isn't a need for it to turn at all most of the time - so why put wear and tear / stress on it unnecessarily. The Andersen hitch is appealing because it is light, but I know of two of them that bent under stress with a trailer well under it's weight rating.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:02 AM   #9

I have almost the same setup as the op. Using BM non sliding hitch. Works great, I get about 88 degrees of turn, no need for slider, ever. Going to 90 degrees is probably going to damage the cheap axel setup anyway.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:19 AM   #10

Which hitch do you have? I just talked to B&W and they told me the puck system on the 2020 is actually a couple of inches behind the axel now ( I looked a sure enough, it is) and that with an 8' wide trailer I should be able to go with the companion non slider and be able to do a very sharp turn.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:23 AM   #11

I spoke with B&W and learned something interesting about the 2020 chevy. The whole puck system was move a couple of inches behind the axel, presumably to get more turning capability with a 5th wheel hitch. The problem is they have had customer tell them that when using the slider, they are hitting the tailgate with the pin box. That raises concerns in my mind about any slider in this truck.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Which hitch do you have? I just talked to B&W and they told me the puck system on the 2020 is actually a couple of inches behind the axel now ( I looked a sure enough, it is) and that with an 8' wide trailer I should be able to go with the companion non slider and be able to do a very sharp turn.
That seems to be your answer then! My only objection to the pin being behind the axle C/L is the weight is all on the rear axle. If you are close to your rear axle GAWR it can make like difficult. Another good thing about the B&W being adjustable. I seriously doubt you will have a problem with turning radius with the non-slider
Old 11-23-2020, 12:09 PM   #13

Until we get it and can get to a scale, I don't think I can really know this. The door sticker does say the max pin weight is 3180 lbs, the specs say the dry pin weight on the 321RSTS is 1965 lbs. so even loaded up I should be well under my pin weight. Thank you for your input!
Old 11-23-2020, 12:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Until we get it and can get to a scale, I don't think I can really know this. The door sticker does say the max pin weight is 3180 lbs, the specs say the dry pin weight on the 321RSTS is 1965 lbs. so even loaded up I should be well under my pin weight. Thank you for your input!
You have to keep in mind that Jayco posts "dry pin weight", but we all travel with plenty of cargo! That pin weight spec is showing about 18.1% of your total weight is on the hitch...so at a GVWR on the fifth wheel your pin weight will be about 2290 lbs when loaded at max. I would agree you will be within your limits when you count your hitch, cargo and passengers etc. It's not unusual to find yourself near the max on the truck capacity after we load all our toys!
Your next calculation will be figuring out if your camper will ride level. I think your Chevy has a lower bedrail above ground than my F-250. I had to make some adjustments to get mine to ride level and have the minimum bedrail to underside clearance near the tailgate.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:33 PM   #15

The B&W non slider I have is using the gooseneck system, 2017 2500 duramax Silverado. It can be adjust a few inches up/down and front/rear. I think Iím 2Ē behind the axel, which actually reduces my front tire weight by about 15 pounds. With the heavy diesel up front already, I donít need more weight up front. My setup tows like thereís nothing behind me. Itís perfect.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:21 PM   #16

I used the OEM puck system as well, but changed the 5th wheel hitch to a Reese GooseBox. Towed over 7000 miles so far and have been pleased. I still have my stock Morryde RPB that I will put back on the 5th wheel if need be when trading or selling.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:33 AM   #17

Does your puck system also accept a goose neck ball? If so take a look at the Blue Ox Super Ride. It is a manual slider (actually pivots back 11” so no rails to maintain) so would address your tight parking issue, but also has vertical that really improves the ride. Really like ours.
1975 IH Travelall
1979 IH Scout II
bstannard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:03 AM   #18

My uncle has a pullrite and I've seen first hand how it will not couple OR uncouple unless its level and pretty close to dead on. You can be off a couple degrees and that's about it, and a couple degrees isn't much. The pro side of it is it's a fully automatic sliding hitch which is nice and works very well.
I have 2 friends with B&W sliders and blithe are in 16 Silverado's. One pulls a Cedar Creek and has only used it a couple times backing into a site, otherwise normal driving has no issues. The other 16 pulls a jayco 29.5 and about the same thing, used it a couple times. That truck got totaled recently and he bought a 20 Silverado and put a B&W slider in it using the puck system. It does seem it has a little more cap to cab clearance and having the puck system putting the hitch point back a little more would make sense.
I think a lot depends on how much cutback there is on the corners of your trailer as to how often you're going to need to slide it back.
IMO, for the amount of times you'll have to slide it back, I'll take the ease of coupling and uncoupling.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:39 AM   #19

I have a 2020 Silverado 2500HD with standard bed, a curt non-sliding hitch and Jayco 27RS Eagle HT. I didn't set up the turning point because I heard it is harder to hook up. I dont think I can get trailer 90 degrees but I am just going to be careful.
Jayco-owner1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:39 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to drwjudd Send a message via MSN to drwjudd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco-owner1979 View Post
I have a 2020 Silverado 2500HD with standard bed, a curt non-sliding hitch and Jayco 27RS Eagle HT. I didn't set up the turning point because I heard it is harder to hook up. I dont think I can get trailer 90 degrees but I am just going to be careful.
I’ve got the same 2020 2500 HD and 2016 Eagle HT 26.5 ft using (eventually) my Husky 16T hitch. Previously towed with 2016 1/2 Ton
Curious if you’ve had any issues with the bed depth being deeper... specifically with clearance between the bed rails and the overhang on the 5er? Haven’t been able to get my hitch installed yet so don’t know if it will be an issue. Can your hitch be adjusted higher? Don’t believe mine can!
drwjudd is offline   Reply With Quote