Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-28-2016, 06:32 PM   #1

5th Wheel Leveling

How level is level? I'm about a quarter inch to a half inch off. Will that be a problem? Thanks.
richie t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:05 PM   #2

If it's not a problem to you, it is not a problem. I usually level side to side before unhooking and then level front to back after I'm unhooked.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:13 PM   #3

What is level? What I have found is where do you check for level. I usually use the stove as a level point, makes mom happy, but if I check other places I find there not level. So find what " Level" works best for you. Good luck.

Dave
Ultratravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:31 PM   #4

IMO, there are 2 critical reasons to level: the refrigerator and a good night's sleep.

Depending on the length of the level you are using, 1/4" or 1/2" may or may not be OK.

Our process:
We put a 'bullseye' level in the fridge the first time out and leveled the trailer to the center of the bullseye. Then we moved the bubble level to different locations and to see if those positions agreed.

Later, from experience when things weren't perfect, we found our fridge was fine if the edge of the bubble did not touch the center circle. (NOTE: Depending upon the bubble level, 'inside the center circle' may or may not be OK.)

So now we level from side-to-side keeping the bubble within the center circle.

Then, keeping the bubble within the center circle, we level the trailer front-to-rear with the front slightly higher than the rear. We sleep better that way. Also, water on the top of the trailer drains to the rear which is nice when accessing the pass-thru storage area.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:52 PM   #5

Like oldmanAZ side to side and then front to back. Final check open doors inside and see if they stay, it not adjust accordingly. Normally a little front to back change and I'm good. The large level on the front is really good side to side if I center the ball in the dead center.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:00 PM   #6

Leveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie t View Post
How level is level? I'm about a quarter inch to a half inch off. Will that be a problem? Thanks.
I think most important leveling spot is the refrigerator freezer. I level the side to side then front to back ( freezer) then install (2) levels to the exterior. I always level exactly( bubble centered)- using the Anderson levelers makes life a lot easier. There are off level allowances for the refrigerator but I prefer exact- bedding and living room floor in our fifth wheel are level also.
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:58 AM   #7

I have been camping for almost 40 years in various popups, travel trailers, and now 5th wheelers and have been in all stages of being "level". I have never in all these years had a refrigerator not work like it should because of not being exactly level. Seems to me you would have to really be seriously out of level for a refrigerator not to work properly.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
I have been camping for almost 40 years in various popups, travel trailers, and now 5th wheelers and have been in all stages of being "level". I have never in all these years had a refrigerator not work like it should because of not being exactly level. Seems to me you would have to really be seriously out of level for a refrigerator not to work properly.
X2
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
In our experience it is not an all or nothing situation. We have medication for our dog that must be kept near zero deg F. Our fridge has never had a problem doing that.

Even with the stabilizers down, the slide on our TT tips the slide side down a bit. We were in a hurry to set up at one site and the slide side was already a bit low before we ran out the slide. It was a stop for only one night so we ignored the side-to-side angle. The fridge sounded fine so we put up with the swinging doors and the sloped floor.

The next morning the meds were still frozen, but the freezer temp had risen considerably. We broke camp and headed down the road. The freezer temp dropped. We were relieved. Now we watch the level a bit closer than before.

The fridge angle is the only explanation we have for the temp difference. We don't have numbers for the angle or the temp difference. We haven't experimented or tried duplicating the situation.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote