Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-12-2022, 05:35 PM   #1
crl

5th Wheel Pin Stand Useful?

Looking for some feedback from the group. My DW and I have a new 2022 Eagle HT 28.5 rsts. We been able to take two short trips in it so far, and love the layout and functionality. Seems to be a definite improvement over our TT, which we were fairly pleased with. We just decided to move to a 5th wheel because we travel longer distances and wanted the towing advantage of the 5th wheel.

My question, does anyone find an advantage to using the tripod pin stand when rigged up? Does it reduce movement in the rig? So far, movement is much less than we saw it hour TT, but you can feel some slight movement when one is in bed and another is moving around.

As far as RV gear goes (lol) they are not that expensive. Just wondered if there was an advantage to using one. Your feedback would be appreciated as always.
crl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 06:26 PM   #2

I dont have one, but our camping friends do. His previous jayco HT 5th wheel, dont exactly remember the model, he used a tripod kingpin stand and it made a HUGE difference in stability on it. His new trailer,.dont exactly remember the model but both trailers were like. 29.5XXXX model, is almost as stable without it vs the old one with a stand. He still uses the stand and it makes a fair amount of difference in increased stability.
Heres why one his new one is more stable than the old one; placement of the front landing gear (jacks).
His old trailer, I'm gonna say was a 2018 year model, had the front gear located INSIDE the main I-beam frame. The new one, a 2021 year model, has the front gear located OUTSIDE the main I-beam frame. Being mounted outside gives it a wider stance. Try this, get into a push up position and place both hands straight down from your shoulders. How side to side stable are you? Now move both your hands one hand width each inside your body. Now how stable are you?? That little more width can make a big difference.
Now comparing his trailer to my Northpoint, we never did check to see if mine has more width, I doubt it does, but mine sits MUCH lower, meaning shorter leg length, more stability. The other thing my Northpoint has that his doesnt is a 6 point leveling system. His only has a 4 point. Yes, mine is like 10' longer but I think the extra leveling points help more.
My $.02 based off my buddy's trailers, if your front gear is mounted INSIDE the frame, I'd definitely get one. If its mounted OUTSIDE the frame it will help but not a HUGE difference vs the inside mounted gear.
If you're looking to get it as stable as your house, it'll never happen.
Old 03-12-2022, 06:36 PM   #3

We had a king pin tripod with our previous 5th wheel and did notice an improvement when installed. The biggest pain about if is just lugging it around. Presently we do not have one. I do not notice much movement but the wife does. There are a few other products out there design to address this issue that I think are more permanently zffixed to the camper.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 06:41 PM   #4

Some will say it doesn’t work some will say it does, I use one alone with my chocks, X-Chocks so to me alone with the others it does a good job, you want take all of the movements but about 80% of it. I also use snap pads and a 2” blocks.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 07:27 PM   #5

When we bought our 2020 28.5rsts I picked up a tripod and never used it. Our first trip we didn't notice a lot of movement in the trailer, specially compared to our TT we upgraded from. But at the starting of the 2020 camping season I put on the Steadyfast stabilizing kit and that took 95% of any movement that we did have out of the 5th wheel. I don't think you'll ever get rid of it 100% but 95% was good enough for us. I think tripods had their place when the upper decks weren't as rigid as they are now but with frames getting stronger and with less and less flex there isn't really a need.

Another thing that I just thought of is we use the Andersen buckets as well so we aren't having to extend the legs which I'm sure helps in keeping the 5th wheel stable.
mavrick0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 07:56 PM   #6

get braces that go between the front legs...they will really help and are easier to operate and no need to carry that silly tripod. I have the JT strong arms...but there are several options.

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 08:06 PM   #7

If you have hydraulic leveling probably won't be much of an improvement. Otherwise one may be worthwhile depending on your motion tolerance.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 04:34 PM   #8

Good for us...
Pappy5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 04:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by crl View Post
Looking for some feedback from the group. My DW and I have a new 2022 Eagle HT 28.5 rsts. We been able to take two short trips in it so far, and love the layout and functionality. Seems to be a definite improvement over our TT, which we were fairly pleased with. We just decided to move to a 5th wheel because we travel longer distances and wanted the towing advantage of the 5th wheel.

My question, does anyone find an advantage to using the tripod pin stand when rigged up? Does it reduce movement in the rig? So far, movement is much less than we saw it hour TT, but you can feel some slight movement when one is in bed and another is moving around.

As far as RV gear goes (lol) they are not that expensive. Just wondered if there was an advantage to using one. Your feedback would be appreciated as always.
I have the same trailer. When leveled with the leveling system and using X-chocks between the tires, It's very stable, really can't feel movement. My last fifth wheel was completely different in stability, but had crank down stabilizers and the tripod did help.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 05:01 PM   #10
crl

Thanks for the comments

Thank you all for the good feedback. I did run x-chocks on or previous TT but they were the over sized set and won’t fit between the 16” tires on the 5th wheel. Definitely saw improvement on the TT. May just get the normal size x-chocks for this one.

Thanks again. Always get good feedback from everyone.
crl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 07:25 AM   #11

We've had several 5th wheel rigs over the years and a friend of mine taught me years ago that the easiest way to eliminate the movement is to shorten the front landing legs. Do this by carring two concrete blocks with you and put one below each foot of the landing legs before you unhook. This shortens the length that the leg is extended and reduces the movement considerably.
mjdcwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 08:49 AM   #12

On my 355, ther front stands are outside the frame. Once all leveled, i use the X-chocks. Movement is very minimal. I keep the front legs as short as possible, also. This helps a great deal with stability. I thought of getting a tripod mount with a ball to use with my Reese Goosebox, but not real sure if it's necessary or will even make that much difference in my situation.
ShotgunZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 10:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdcwo View Post
We've had several 5th wheel rigs over the years and a friend of mine taught me years ago that the easiest way to eliminate the movement is to shorten the front landing legs. Do this by carring two concrete blocks with you and put one below each foot of the landing legs before you unhook. This shortens the length that the leg is extended and reduces the movement considerably.
x2
Old 03-31-2022, 01:39 PM   #14

I've never noticed any movement in my 5'er. If there is...it's unnoticeable.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 02:16 PM   #15

Using the tripod along with x-chocks will certainly make a noticeable difference (at least that was my experience). However the improvement was most noticed during days of higher wind than normal (in particular winds sideways to the 5er). I always carried both the x-chocks and the tripod when traveling however I didn't always use the tripod unless I was going to be in the same place for a few days or longer (or perhaps a night with high winds), and I always used the x-chocks. ~CA
Old 04-01-2022, 05:08 PM   #16

Here’s a different way to look at it: the movement at the front of the rig is usually caused by motion at the back of the rig, which gets amplified via a leverage effect.

Trying to stop the motion up front (pin stand) is less effective than trying stop the motion at the source.

I added electric stabilizers at the very back of my coach, right in front of the rear bumper, and that single mod made more of an impact than the JT Stongarms up front and the x-chocks on the wheels.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old Faithful: 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel Dually
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 06:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmiler View Post
Here’s a different way to look at it: the movement at the front of the rig is usually caused by motion at the back of the rig, which gets amplified via a leverage effect.

Trying to stop the motion up front (pin stand) is less effective than trying stop the motion at the source.

I added electric stabilizers at the very back of my coach, right in front of the rear bumper, and that single mod made more of an impact than the JT Stongarms up front and the x-chocks on the wheels.
X2 here... I do have pin tripod, but still doesn't drastically reduce the back
bedroom "wiggle"....while at MORryde mid April, gonna see about having there x-brace installed and back end stabilizer. I have two slide out jacks that I use on the back bumper...helps some, but not much.
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 07:38 PM   #18

If staying a week or more I use one but I do not think it's a " must have " item.before we added the 6 point levelors the Steadyfast braces I added did wonders on the wiggle.
OP, is that Longview Tx where your at ? . If so we are just up the road.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 06:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotgunZ71 View Post
On my 355, ther front stands are outside the frame. Once all leveled, i use the X-chocks. Movement is very minimal. I keep the front legs as short as possible, also. This helps a great deal with stability. I thought of getting a tripod mount with a ball to use with my Reese Goosebox, but not real sure if it's necessary or will even make that much difference in my situation.
Sorry, meant the front stands are inside, not outside. Can't edit post for some reason.
ShotgunZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 07:25 AM   #20
Site Team

snip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotgunZ71 View Post
Can't edit post for some reason.
The edit feature has a time limit of a few minutes. If you PM any moderator that's logged on, we can override it on the post for you. Just another service provided by your friendly Site Team!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote