Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2024, 05:12 PM   #1

5th wheel thru Yosemite

Late summer trip out west is in final planning stage. RV Life RVSafe directions have us going thru Yosemite NP from west to east on Hwy 120. I guess itís RV safe based on their routing but Iíve been led down some very narrow roads by that app in the past. Does anyone have experience with ~36í 5ver (317RLOK) going thru there? With the amount of traffic during the summer and winding roads & steep grades I just want to get some understanding of what I might be in for while I still have time to adjust routes.
Appreciate any helpful replies
Roadpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 10:01 AM   #2

I've bob-tailed from 395 to 99 in a Semi and rode shot gun into Yosemite with a set of doubles, but pulling a 36' trailer though there might add 15 years to your life my friend. It can be done, but it's a white knuckler.

I've taken my 28' fiver into upper pines and camped a few years back and I don't remember any issues. I may not be the guy to ask though. I drove oversize loads all over California for a living.
Frosty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 01:59 PM   #3

Thanks for the input Frosty22. I was skeptical when the app routed me thru there. Iím a firm believer that just because you can doesnít mean you should and I donít want to be ďthat guyĒ leading a 5 mile parade of angry tourists at 15mph.
Regards,
Old 02-29-2024, 04:17 PM   #4

I've driven it in a car, the decent to 395 is very steep downgrades. Here's what the NPS has to say

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvis...CP_JUMP_177312
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 04:49 PM   #5

Thanks for the comment and the link. Iíd seen that info as well as some info about the tunnel heights from a different forum. Weíve decided to re-route and take the long way around. Figured it was better to spend an extra day and just enjoy the journey.
Safe travelsÖ
Old 02-29-2024, 10:00 PM   #6

I have a trip planned at Pinecrest Lake which is East of Sonora continuing over the Sierras to 395 and headed South to fish along the creeks and rivers. I'm planning on taking highway 88 over the Sierras. I've driven that road before and it's a nice drive and very scenic.

Safe travels
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 08:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicDude View Post
I have a trip planned at Pinecrest Lake which is East of Sonora continuing over the Sierras to 395 and headed South to fish along the creeks and rivers. I'm planning on taking highway 88 over the Sierras. I've driven that road before and it's a nice drive and very scenic.

Safe travels
It is beautiful up there. I always give myself plenty of time, don't hurry, use the turns outs, and enjoy the ride. It's not always about the destination, enjoy the journey too.

The Wife and I want to hit up Silver Lake this year. We do Medicine Lake every year for two weeks.
Frosty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 05:49 PM   #8

Thanks again for your comments. Iím going to have another look to see if we can make that routing work. It will add some miles but agree that one should slow down and enjoy the journey.
Regards
Old 03-06-2024, 01:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadpop View Post
Late summer trip out west is in final planning stage. RV Life RVSafe directions have us going thru Yosemite NP from west to east on Hwy 120. I guess itís RV safe based on their routing but Iíve been led down some very narrow roads by that app in the past. Does anyone have experience with ~36í 5ver (317RLOK) going thru there? With the amount of traffic during the summer and winding roads & steep grades I just want to get some understanding of what I might be in for while I still have time to adjust routes.
Appreciate any helpful replies
Unless you have a diesel donít do 120. That long of a coach I wouldnít recommend either 120 is fine from the west into yosemite. But you go out the other side with the pass, narrow roads. NPS DOESNT RECOMMEND ANYTHING OVER 22í on that road. We go there 2-3 times a year. Either go north up by Sacramento and go over or south of Yosemite/ sequoia to a fwy to go over. Never go into sequoia with that length either. With our 32í we can only go to the first campground the roads arenít made for anything longer than 19í. Really bad. My suggestion: donít go that way. But itís up to youÖ
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 01:34 PM   #10

I absolutely agree with retired mountain folk. The grades up from the east off 395 and the grades west from within the park are STEEP. The road in from 395 is VERY narrow and a LONG way down. Additionally, I do not recall any turnouts or places to pull over until you are on top of the mountain. I wouldn't pull a pop-up through there.
Old 03-06-2024, 03:30 PM   #11

We did Yosemite in 2022 and stayed in Lee Vining, CA. It's a couple of hours drive into the park from there but leaving the 5th wheel behind made it a nice day trip. We choose to do it this way because Lake Tahoe was next on our list, and an easy drive from there.
End of the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 06:56 PM   #12

Thanks for your input. Route has been changed accordingly.
Old 03-06-2024, 10:15 PM   #13

Here is my exact same question on the RV Life forum: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f287/rou...el-636115.html

I drove the Hwy 120 route in google Streetview and believe the only low clearance point is at the curb and the fogline is 14' based on this: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/restrictions.htm

However, if you drive El Portal road on Google Streetview you will find a very precarious point right here

So I plan to drive Hwy 120 this summer and not Hwy 140
jt_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 05:12 PM   #14

We have done that route many times. 40' motorhome, 38' FW. No problems. Take it slow and enjoy the scenery
Betsy is offline   Reply With Quote