Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2019, 07:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
I think you can make hitching a 5th wheel much easier than hitching a TT. Get a V tailgate and an in bed plug receptacle.
My new Ram has the 5th wheel prep package so it came with the in bed 7 pin plug connector. I added a V tailgate as well. Hitching up is super easy.
No messing with a WDH and spring bars.
As far a losing you trucks bed for gear? Nonsense. I have a LB truck and have 4' between the cab and 5th hitch. I carry a lot of stuff in that area.

I've had two TT's and one 5th wheel. They all wiggled the same when setup at a CG. The front tongue jack offers zero stability. If you don't believe me after you setup your TT go push sideways on a rear corner. You can make the tongue wiggle. Too much play in tongue jacks to consider them solid.

Backing up is tougher with a 5th wheel. TT's are easier to correct during backup because they react quicker. Going slow with a 5er is the key.
I'm sure I could change to a V tailgate but I have a F350 with the ladder in the tailgate. I don't really want to loose that either so it's still a tradeoff. My 5th also has this steal cable I have to tie to the hitch that triggers the brakes if the hitch fails. I don't have anywhere else to tie it so I'm stuck getting in the box to tie it around the back of the hitch. Maybe someone has a better solution?

Not saying I loose all the box but you can't tell me you have as much space. Without a 5th I could load my 8' box 5 feet high. With the 5th I get some space around the hitch but I can't go above the box except for a section in the front. Still leaves a fair bit of space just not as much. It's a common comment I've heard by others also when I was shopping for a trailer. For most of my trip it's fine since I don't need that much space.
mlcote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Hardly ever have someone come on an RV forum and complain about swaying and white knuckle towing.
With that being said I wish I could tow a 5er to the CG then convert it to a TT for backing in. But considering I may spend anywhere from 2-8 hours on the road and only 5-10 mins backing in, it's a no brain'r trade off.
Not sure if you are referring to my post. I didn't like the feel of the sway but I wouldn't say I was white knuckle towing. Just didn't like especially compared to the smooth towing of my 5th.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:50 PM   #23

Quote:
I think you can make hitching a 5th wheel much easier than hitching a TT. Get a V tailgate and an in bed plug receptacle.
My new Ram has the 5th wheel prep package so it came with the in bed 7 pin plug connector. I added a V tailgate as well. Hitching up is super easy.
No messing with a WDH and spring bars.
As far a losing you trucks bed for gear? Nonsense. I have a LB truck and have 4' between the cab and 5th hitch. I carry a lot of stuff in that area.

I've had two TT's and one 5th wheel. They all wiggled the same when setup at a CG. The front tongue jack offers zero stability. If you don't believe me after you setup your TT go push sideways on a rear corner. You can make the tongue wiggle. Too much play in tongue jacks to consider them solid.

Backing up is tougher with a 5th wheel. TT's are easier to correct during backup because they react quicker. Going slow with a 5er is the key.
I did find the movement of the 5th worst then the TT I rented. Both do move of course. My 5th has larger tires which makes it a bit higher and those two jacks in the front are often extended quite a bit cause them to wiggle more. The movement was pretty bad. The rentals where a bit shorter (28 vs 35) to begin with and while the front lift is not great it is generally closer to the ground (shorter) and further way from the wheels which will naturally help. Not that they were great but when I pushed the from of the trailer I definitely notice more on the 5th. Then again it might be the specific models I tried it on given my great sample of 3!
Old 01-19-2019, 08:26 PM   #24

I find chalking is really the key to less movement. I recently purchased some Andersen leveler knockoffs and after one trip the 5er was a solid as ever. They really stop the fore-aft motion. JT Strogarms help as well.

Yeah the tailgate is a trade off. I got one on my truck last summer and have not put the OEM tailgate back on.

I attach my steel cable to the locking pin for the hitch handle. It's a bit of climb to reach though. I just climb up on the rear tire and reach in. would be all but impossible for me to do that with a DRW though.

mlcote, no I wasn't directing the sway issue towards you. Just speaking in general terms.

Yeah 5ers aren't for everyone. If we ever get another it probably won't be a 5er. TT's are cheaper and not as tall. Getting tired of the bigness. Would probably down size a bit too.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:28 PM   #25

Fifth wheel vs travel trailer

Just a couple of things: a 36 ft fifth wheel gives up approximately 5 feet of living space to the stairs, given the same length and age, a fifth wheel will cost nearly 20 percent more and, again given the same length and age, the fifth wheel will weigh as much as double what the travel trailer will. If you're pulling and have trouble with trailer sway on the travel trailer, you have hitch problems. I'm keeping my travel trailer, thank you very much.
fitzrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:05 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzrade View Post
Just a couple of things: a 36 ft fifth wheel gives up approximately 5 feet of living space to the stairs, given the same length and age, a fifth wheel will cost nearly 20 percent more and, again given the same length and age, the fifth wheel will weigh as much as double what the travel trailer will. If you're pulling and have trouble with trailer sway on the travel trailer, you have hitch problems. I'm keeping my travel trailer, thank you very much.
how do you figure loosing 5 feet of Living Space??? I'm sitting here looking down my 5th wheel coach and see my three step stairs (more like 2.5 feet) which basically is a hallway to the bedroom. On the other side is my full bathroom and below is a cow turd ton of storage. Now given the same floor plan on a hitch trailer,, you would loose the same amount of living space due to the hallway, however you would also loose the giagantic storage space below the stairs.. I'm keeping my 5th Wheel, thank you very much. :-)
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Apples to apples a 36' TT gives up 4' of living space vs a 36' 5th wheel.
There's zero loss of living space because of the stairs in a 5th wheel. Most TT floor plans that have a hallway are the same as a 5th wheels stair location.
As far as sway goes, it's virtually non existent in a 5th wheel. Thats why you don't need sway control. Even with sway control a TT can get out of control.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:42 AM   #28

Okay, I'll give you the stairway thing.

I'll concede the stairway part, what about the extra expense to buy and the extra weight to pull? Not wanting to start an argument here, we're all entitled to our opinions. I also note another poster spoke of the pickup box which is largely taken up with the hitch.
fitzrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:58 AM   #29

Quote:
I attach my steel cable to the locking pin for the hitch handle. It's a bit of climb to reach though. I just climb up on the rear tire and reach in. would be all but impossible for me to do that with a DRW though. too.
I have a DRW and I had to buy one of those ladders that straddle the tire. Works great. Replaced the breakaway cable with this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:15 PM   #30

Towing a fifth wheel is going to feel different in a positive way. Its the length of the trailer or distance back to the trailer axles that dictate how wide you need to make your turns etc.. Also the wheelbase of the towing vehicle affect the turning radius. I have towed everything from small snowmobile trailers to semis and everyone had their own characteristics. No matter the hookup they all demand respect and a careful driver.
Jacotim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:26 PM   #31

Quote:
I'll concede the stairway part, what about the extra expense to buy and the extra weight to pull? Not wanting to start an argument here, we're all entitled to our opinions. I also note another poster spoke of the pickup box which is largely taken up with the hitch.
Yes,, 5th wheel hitch does take up most of the pickup bed real-estate. But one needs to consider the amount of weight added back there when towing either way. I tow 5th wheel and never have been disappointed not having enough space. I manage to get a pretty good load of fire wood, inverter generator, spare propane bottle and few other items. I have had a few occasion when i wished my 200 lb 5th wheel hitch was not there, reason i am thinking of getting an Anderson Hitch, they weigh less then 50 lbs. i've towed both bumper pull and 5th Wheel and i think most will say, "once you pull 5th wheel, you'll never want to go back to bumper pull".
Old 01-21-2019, 08:44 PM   #32

If we are strictly talking about towing...I've towed a pop-up with a '92 Chevy Camaro, a TT with an Infiniti QX56 and a Ram 2500 Diesel, and now a 5th wheel with the 2500 and my current Ram 3500 diesel dually. If I had to tow...it would definitely be a 5th wheel with a diesel dually. If money was no object...I would be driving a Class A diesel pusher with a toad!!

That's just my experience...have fun with whatever you decide and enjoy the journey!
Old 01-21-2019, 09:10 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
If we are strictly talking about towing...I've towed a pop-up with a '92 Chevy Camaro, a TT with an Infiniti QX56 and a Ram 2500 Diesel, and now a 5th wheel with the 2500 and my current Ram 3500 diesel dually. If I had to tow...it would definitely be a 5th wheel with a diesel dually. If money was no object...I would be driving a Class A diesel pusher with a toad!!

That's just my experience...have fun with whatever you decide and enjoy the journey!
I'm 100% with you on the Class A Pusher.. Saw a mega 55' 5th Wheel on Destination America last night.. That beiest is towed with a full blown Semi Truck that had room to stow away and small get around car. Now if money was no object,, em,,,,, i still might stick with the Mega 5th Wheel. :-)
Old 01-22-2019, 08:20 AM   #34

I'll second or third the above statements. A DP is above my pay grade so I have to tow. So long as I tow, it'll be a FW.
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:40 PM   #35

What RV is best

Its up to the owner what RV will be there best choice. They're all good and if set up correctly they can travel nicely to your next destination. Its good to get input from others but ultimately its comes down to what fits your needs and budget.

Happy trails!
Jacotim is offline   Reply With Quote