Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-11-2019, 08:41 PM   #1

5th Wheel vs Pull Trailer

We have a friend who has suddenly become disabled. They have a newer 5th wheel travel trailer and P/U. I would like to driver their 5th Wheel and P/U to a campground for them. I have towed a lot of travel trailers and boats, but never a 5th wheel. Is their a significance difference on their towing, any guidance would be appreciated.

Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:07 PM   #2

Two thoughts:

1. In general, 5th wheel trailers are more roadable than a bumper pull, you will like the way it goes down the road. Due to being attached further forward on the tow vehicle, they tend to track inside a bumper pull. When I was pulling our first 5er home I put the trailer over the inside curb of a corner. So turn a bit wider than you would with a bumper pull.

2. If the truck is a short-box then be careful when backing. If you turn sharply you can hit the trailer on the cab of the P/U.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:35 PM   #3

What DavidJay said, but I'd say it with more emphasis '... turn ... wider than you would with a bumper pull.' You'll find it especially noticeable/troublesome for right turns.

5th wheels back SIGNIFICANTLY different than travel trailers and boat trailers! Does the friend have the option of a pull-thru site? If so, TAKE IT! If not, I suggest you take the rig to an empty parking lot and practice backing. Personally, I backed a few 5th wheels and LOTS of travel trailers; I never mastered backing 5th wheels and never attempted to back one into a camp site.

You didn't mention how far you'd have to tow their trailer. I'd suggest that you try not to tow into a fuel stop; maneuvering through them is where most incidents occur.

And be aware of the added height of 5th wheels. That can present problems in some situations.

Be careful and be safe.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:07 PM   #4

A trailer, is a trailer, is a trailer. There are a few SLIGHT differences. If you are comfortable towing a trailer it really doesn’t matter if it’s bumper pull or 5th wheel. 5th wheel turns sharper than bumper pull due to the hitch point. If you are used to bumper pull the big thing is turn sooner when backing, and wider when driving. Eazy peezy.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #5

5th wheel vs Pull Trailer

Thank you very much for your valuable input. I believe the P/U is a 3/4 ton and the distance less than 2 hours. I appreciate all of the comments.
Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:19 PM   #6

I’ve pulled both a travel trailer and now a 5th wheel. It takes a wider turn as the 5th wheel will track closer to the inside of the turn. Overall height is a consideration for trees, power lines, overpasses, etc. I found it harder initially to back the 5th wheel as you can over correct when backing. It’s comparable to backing a short trailer vs a long trailer as the pivot point is over the rear axle (in most cases). Smaller inputs are needed on the 5th wheel. You need to watch the turns as it possible to contact the back of the cab and 5th wheel or pin box and side rails especially if you are not on a level surface. Traveling down the road is a piece of cake as the 5th wheel tracks very nicely. A lot of it is also dependent on the type of hitch as well as the type of pin box. Good luck and hope all the posts help.
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:29 PM   #7

Don't do it. It will spoil you and you'll come home and go 5th wheel shopping. That could be $$$$$.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #8

goducks is correct if you pull one you will want one
albirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Don't do it. It will spoil you and you'll come home and go 5th wheel shopping. That could be $$$$$.
Hahaha... it's TRUE. I have pulled many bumper pulls from travel to equipment to enclosed to livestock... I am on my 2nd 5th wheel camper and I have no interested in going back to a bumper pull for the camper. Love the 5th wheels...
Chiggins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:04 PM   #10

Since the topic has strayed...

I have pulled many bumper pulls and 5th wheels and I have no interest in going to a 5th wheel trailer. Love my travel trailer, the 5th wheels - not so much.

oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote