Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-25-2020, 06:34 PM   #1

A/C cooling expectations

Hi there. We own a 2018 Jayco Pinnacle (5th wheel). What can we expect for cooling? We have the air set at 84, and a fan going, which makes it tolerable. However, upstairs in the bedroom the air unit for that room actually cycles. The air unit downstairs only cycles in the evening. That thing runs literally all day. This is the first summer with this rig and we are in inland in Southern California, which gets the hot, hot sun in the summers. Today it is 90 degrees outside. I was thinking of perhaps foam insulating the underneath, and in the future putting an awning over the rig itself. We are in a 55+ mobile home park community. Thanks for any help you can give.
MKHaikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:41 PM   #2

My 17 Northpoint 375 has dual A/C units. Yes, it actually gets hot here in Michigan. Most summers normal temps are in the 90's and we've had them even in the low 100's before. The humidity around here is what makes it even more unbearable. Anyway, we've been camping when it's been in the low 90's and the main A/C unit will run all day long where the master A/C will kick on and off. If it's 95* outside about the best we would see in the trailer is low 80's in the main area and upper 70's in the master room and that's with the master door open. If we closed the door that room could become a meat locker. I have found that having awnings installed on the slides really helps along with keeping the window shades closed on the sun side and the outside awning fully extended to keep as much sun off the side of the trailer as possible.
My house on the other hand, if its 90* outside I can get it down in the 60's if I want. Lol!
Old 04-25-2020, 07:54 PM   #3

You might start running the units lower earlier in the morning.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:33 PM   #4

You house has much thicker walls and much more insulation. Much more insulation in the roof. Use a temp gun or a meat thermometer and see if you get a 20 degree differential between supply and return air on both units. Place a fan on the steps and blow that excess air downstairs. Install a ceiling fan in the ceiling downstairs. be sure it does not hang down below the slide ceiling.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:00 PM   #5

I need to run both units in my Greyhawk to keep it cool enough. My sons each have a 5th wheel with dual airs and they have your problem. I recommended to them to put a tower fan at the doorway in the upper area and have it blow that room's cool air down into the main area.

From what I've heard, the bedroom AC is not vented into the main area which is a waste. All that cool air up there and no one to enjoy it.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:31 PM   #6

Thanks everyone for all of your input, it sounds like our unit is pretty typical, since we live in it full time stationary, it may be a decent option to go for a full length carport type cover, it would help with cooling I believe if at of you have ever been to So Cal in the summer the sun intensity is very extreme and just cooks everything, i grew up in Oklahoma and the humidity is bad but didn't have the burning intensity of the sun like here. Thanks again.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:46 AM   #7

May need to install a 3rd AC unit.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKHaikey View Post
Hi there. We own a 2018 Jayco Pinnacle (5th wheel). What can we expect for cooling? We have the air set at 84, and a fan going, which makes it tolerable.
As other's have reported check all the ceiling vents to be sure they are sealed properly. Remove each one and use foil tape to seal any gaps. You may have air leaking into the roof area.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
My 17 Northpoint 375 has dual A/C units. Yes, it actually gets hot here in Michigan. Most summers normal temps are in the 90's and we've had them even in the low 100's before. The humidity around here is what makes it even more unbearable. Anyway, we've been camping when it's been in the low 90's and the main A/C unit will run all day long where the master A/C will kick on and off. If it's 95* outside about the best we would see in the trailer is low 80's in the main area and upper 70's in the master room and that's with the master door open. If we closed the door that room could become a meat locker. I have found that having awnings installed on the slides really helps along with keeping the window shades closed on the sun side and the outside awning fully extended to keep as much sun off the side of the trailer as possible.
My house on the other hand, if its 90* outside I can get it down in the 60's if I want. Lol!
Lake I found that if you put a floor fan at the bedroom entry blowing towards the living room it helps distribute the cool air faster to the rest of the rig. I helps A LOT!
Old 04-26-2020, 10:53 AM   #10

Thanks
Old 04-26-2020, 11:40 AM   #11

Does the HVAC system not have the "racetrack" duct work like some other manufacturers are providing? The idea that the 2nd AC (master) would combine with the main AC to provide further cooling?
Old 04-26-2020, 11:57 AM   #12

Couple more things to try....
Get some Reflectix insulation. Comes in rolls. Cut to fit the windows. Even if you have dual pane. It helps.
On our eagle I found the insulation in the front cap was incomplete. Bottom foot of cap had nothing! Access was by removing the shelf unit in back of closet. I added an entire bundle of fiberglass batting. That helped stop heat and cold coming into the front closet.
Other thing we did was bought closable heat registers and reworked the cold air return so it was connected to the furnace. Original was grate under the steps and wide open to front basement and under the trailer via the wide open access behind the basement wall down to corroplast. Cold air falls. When it could go thru the grate into basement and fall onto the corroplast. Ugh what am I doing cooling under the trailer?
I also added a batt of fiberglass and reflectix insulation directly above the corroplast from basement to rear wall.
Sealed up all around the holes in frame and sealed edge of corroplast.
Now the A/C cycles front and back on 90*F days in Florida. I set the front bedroom two degrees colder than the main living room. Furnace now cycles a lot less when its cool/ cold out. In fact the fireplace covers us for heat most nights! Yeh it was a bunch of work and expense but better half and I are comfortable.

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
<snip>

From what I've heard, the bedroom AC is not vented into the main area which is a waste. All that cool air up there and no one to enjoy it.
We recently installed a 2nd AC in the bedroom and ours had AC prep. When we were testing it, it was blowing through all the vents including the living area without the main AC on.
Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
As other's have reported check all the ceiling vents to be sure they are sealed properly. Remove each one and use foil tape to seal any gaps. You may have air leaking into the roof area.
x2, it really helps and be sure to remove the black flange that sticks up into the duct and blocks air flow. I also checked my floor registers for the furnace and there were huge gaps between the duct and flooring that were half a__ed covered from the factory.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII View Post
Couple more things to try....
Get some Reflectix insulation. Comes in rolls. Cut to fit the windows. Even if you have dual pane. It helps.

RoadrunnerII
This right here. Granted my 2008 30.5 BHS Super Lite 5'er rig is much older and smaller with only one A/C unit but it was struggling here in Michigan with some of the heat and humidity that we can get in the summer. I purchased a couple rolls of that Reflectix stuff, cut it to fit all my windows and wow did it makes a huge difference! The A/C was able to keep up and even cycle on and off during the day.
skidoomatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 02:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Does the HVAC system not have the "racetrack" duct work like some other manufacturers are providing? The idea that the 2nd AC (master) would combine with the main AC to provide further cooling?

The Pinnacle should - my North Point is ducted together.

I shut off the exhaust on the 2nd (master) unit so it exhausts into the A/C duct system and it makes a big difference in air flow from all of the vents.

As others mentioned, I also highly recommend pulling off the vents (simple 4 screws) and be sure you are not cooling the attic. Use aluminum duct tape to seal the duct work to the ceiling.

2020 North Point 387RDFS
modern farmhouse
2018 GMC Denali HD CC SRW Duramax L5P
Curt A20
Airlift 5000
Michelin Defender LTX M/S
Zs387RDFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 02:40 PM   #17

Thanks again everyone, those are great ideas to look into.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:00 PM   #18

Exclamation

Well sitting in 100+ temps and my bedroom AC just stopped blowing cold air. Anything that I should be looking for before calling a mobile tech?
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 04-28-2020, 11:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Well sitting in 100+ temps and my bedroom AC just stopped blowing cold air. Anything that I should be looking for before calling a mobile tech?
Tried the bedroom AC this morning and after a few minutes smelled an electrical odor............shut it down immediately. Doesn't sound good.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 04-28-2020, 12:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKHaikey View Post
Hi there. We own a 2018 Jayco Pinnacle (5th wheel). What can we expect for cooling? We have the air set at 84, and a fan going, which makes it tolerable. However, upstairs in the bedroom the air unit for that room actually cycles. The air unit downstairs only cycles in the evening. That thing runs literally all day. This is the first summer with this rig and we are in inland in Southern California, which gets the hot, hot sun in the summers. Today it is 90 degrees outside. I was thinking of perhaps foam insulating the underneath, and in the future putting an awning over the rig itself. We are in a 55+ mobile home park community. Thanks for any help you can give.
pull your vents down and you will notice a gap between ceiling and AC duct where you are losing a lot of cool air. Tape that gap up with metal AC tape. Trust me it makes a world of difference. Also open up your AC from the inside and tape up any holes, and make sure that the divider between supply and return is taped in place. You will be surprised that it will shift and the return will suck the cold air out before it makes it to the vents.
Chris Wendt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c, air conditioner, jayco, pinnacle