Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2022, 05:15 PM   #1

A/C won’t run

Hi everyone… on a trip and getting some hot weather. Tried to run the AC with my Yamaha 3000isi and it goes into overload. I even tried turning off the converter and it still failed 😞. I had no problem running the AC in my old trailer with this generator. Does this 30.5 RLS have a bigger than normal AC unit? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Go-red-car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 06:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-red-car View Post
Hi everyone… on a trip and getting some hot weather. Tried to run the AC with my Yamaha 3000isi and it goes into overload. I even tried turning off the converter and it still failed 😞. I had no problem running the AC in my old trailer with this generator. Does this 30.5 RLS have a bigger than normal AC unit? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Are there other things that you have on, on electical? Like your water heater? Is your fridge a resi fridge? That would consume some 110V as well.

With a 3000 watt genny, you should be making about 25 amps on 110V. I am assuming that you only have one AC, and/or are trying to only use one AC. One AC should pull around 15ish amps, maybe a little more when starting, and a little less when running. You should have plenty of juice with 3000 watts...
Old 08-09-2022, 07:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman_ks View Post
Are there other things that you have on, on electical? Like your water heater? Is your fridge a resi fridge? That would consume some 110V as well.

With a 3000 watt genny, you should be making about 25 amps on 110V. I am assuming that you only have one AC, and/or are trying to only use one AC. One AC should pull around 15ish amps, maybe a little more when starting, and a little less when running. You should have plenty of juice with 3000 watts...
Thanks for your prompt reply! Fridge is on gas as is the water heater. No big consumption items are on. I guess my toothbrush is plugged in but that is all. The only other item that takes some power is the converter charging the batteries and I have solar and lithium batteries so I also have a smart monitor. I killed the breaker on the converter and it helped a little but still failed. And yes, just one AC unit. I have an electrician background and I’m baffled 😕
Old 08-09-2022, 07:32 PM   #4

Could be you AC is in a bad way. If possible, plug into shore power and see how it starts. If you can, get a clamp on meter to see how much it is pulling on shore power.

If the data plate calls for X amps to start and it takes a lot more than that will a clue and may require a repair or replacement to fix it.

There is a soft start system for Rv AC systems but yours may need something else.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:09 PM   #5

What's the altitude where you are camping? High altitude, plus hot air temps will degrade the performance of portable generators. Try starting it in the cool of the morning. Probably nothing wrong with your generator, just its marginal size.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Could be you AC is in a bad way. If possible, plug into shore power and see how it starts. If you can, get a clamp on meter to see how much it is pulling on shore power.

If the data plate calls for X amps to start and it takes a lot more than that will a clue and may require a repair or replacement to fix it.

There is a soft start system for Rv AC systems but yours may need something else.
Thanks Roger… this is a new to us trailer so I have never tried it before. Good idea on the shore power. I do have a clamp around meter but don’t know where I could get just one wire to clamp around.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
What's the altitude where you are camping? High altitude, plus hot air temps will degrade the performance of portable generators. Try starting it in the cool of the morning. Probably nothing wrong with your generator, just its marginal size.
Such a good point, thanks! We are at 4600’ and with the high temps that could be a factor. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2022, 09:26 AM   #8

Try turning on your circulating fan first and then turn on the compressor
Old 08-10-2022, 09:41 AM   #9

Thank you! Tried that ��
Old 08-10-2022, 09:12 PM   #10

Turn the ECO mode off on your generator then try. ECO circuits in some generators do not sense loads quick enough and they’ll Tripp the overload.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 04:21 PM   #11

Thanks kirkelli, I did try that. When I get home I’ll try plugging into shore power and report back.
Old 08-15-2022, 06:43 PM   #12

Install a Soft Start. I run a 13,500 BTU AC on a Champion 2500 duel fuel inverter without any issues. ( I only use Propane, not gasoline)
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 06:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarider View Post
Install a Soft Start. I run a 13,500 BTU AC on a Champion 2500 duel fuel inverter without any issues. ( I only use Propane, not gasoline)
Thanks Ultrarider… I was thinking that would be my recourse. Is this user installable or do I need to go to a shop? I have an electrician background.
Old 08-15-2022, 07:05 PM   #14

I have the Dometic 13,500 btu, and installed the Microair blue tooth easy start. It’s very easy, just follow the well documented instructions for you AC make & model. Took about 30 mins.
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:07 PM   #15

Great, thank you ��
Old 08-25-2022, 03:06 PM   #16

Hello everyone, just a quick follow-up to close the loop on all the good suggestions I was provided. When I got home I plugged into shore power (20 amp circuit) and the AC fired up smoothly with no issues.

I have tried the generator (eco mode off) converter breaker off, hot water heater on gas, fridge on gas, started the fan first, and then the compressor. It runs for about 30 sec and then goes into overload. It does not trip the breaker (which is 23.5 amps). To clear the overload you have to shut down and restart the generator.

I stopped at the Yamaha dealer and asked if there was any chance that my generator was underperforming. They thought that was highly unlikely, but were kind enough to offer to plug my trailer into a new 3000isi to see if it would run the AC. I haven't done that as it is a pain to hook up the trailer and take it in, but may do that next time we are going on a trip. I'm thinking that installing a soft start will be the way to go. I believe that I have a 15000 BTU unit and the specs show that it pulls from 17 - 20 amps.
Old 08-25-2022, 03:36 PM   #17

Quote:
I believe that I have a 15000 BTU unit and the specs show that it pulls from 17 - 20 amps.
That's true, but on start up it will spike up to double that or more, causing the smaller generators to go into overload. After I installed my SoftStart all of my AC issues went away. Plus, it's so quiet now on startup you don't know it's running until you feel the cold air coming through the vents.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 09:28 PM   #18

Quote:
I believe that I have a 15000 BTU unit and the specs show that it pulls from 17 - 20 amps.

I can't explain why you get 30 seconds before it sputters, but I've read the same thing that Route 66 is alluding to. Your locked rotor amps, or start up current, or whatever it's called is quite a bit more. I once priced ammeters capable of measuring the inrush current and bailed. They're too expensive to just satisfy my curiosity.

One tidbit. Early on, I tried to run our Mach 15K on a borrowed Honda 2200 and I got about 10-15 seconds before the Honda alarmed. I tried a Ryobi 2300 and that thing sputtered and died within seconds. My Predator 3500 handles the 15K AC without missing a beat.