Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2020, 08:58 AM   #1

A Few Pinnacle Questions

We currently have a 2013 Excel Winslow we were on the verge of trying to sell when the current events made us hit the pause button. We had traveled many miles and to one show to look at various models and we kept coming back to a Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS. I fully understand nothing in our price range will probably be as well built as our Excel but our travels have slowed somewhat and we are looking to downsize a little. We sold our dually last November and got the new F350, an srw, and then started looking for a replacement fifth wheel that would be a better match for the new truck. It has a 12,400 GVWR and 4562 pound payload so it will handle the Pinnacle.

Now for a few questions which hopefully someone can answer at least a few of them. Units produced after September have the new Furrion free standing type range/oven. The old style ovens we have had were pretty much useless. Our Excel doesn't even have one, we just use the convection microwave. Has anyone tried one of these?

Is the JAYCOMMAND smart rv system easy to use for us older non techy types? I read a thread here that gave me a few doubts.

Any issues with the running gear? Jayco at least uses Dexter where most others use Lippert components. I am a bit concerned with the stopping power of the brakes. I wish there was a disc brake option. We have disc's on our Excel but it is probably more than 2K pounds heavier than a 32RLTS, even after we load our stuff in it.

I know Jayco says their heating and cooling is superior but is it? We spend 5 to 6 weeks in Colorado in September/early October every year camped at about 8000 feet. The weather can be freezing or 80 degrees on any given day. We also go to Branson every November for a couple of weeks and last year had a 14 degree morning. Just want to be comfortable.

Last, I sold our fifth wheel hitch earlier this year and bought a Reese Goose Box so I don't have deal with anything but a 5 pound ball when I want our truck bed back. Two dealers contacted Jayco directly and both said they have no issue using the Goose Box. Wondering if anyone has any experience with it.

Sorry to be so nosy but just trying to get this right. This will probably be our last rv purchase.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:06 AM   #2

I can only answer a couple of your questions, but here goes...

We have had no issues with the running gear or stopping power of the brakes. I do use the exhaust brake whenever towing and that takes some of the pressure off the brakes, but again, never a problem.

We've had no problems with the heating and cooling systems either. DW likes it hot, and it certainly gets up there and stays there. That said, the furnace does burn through propane pretty quickly, but supplementing with the fireplace heat helps.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:08 AM   #3

I also can only comment on a few things.

Our 17 Northpoint has Axle Technologies axles on it (Lippert). Maybe they changed back to Dexter in the last few years? You might want to verify that. However, I've had no issues with mine other than the brakes. I did a conversion myself and it stops WAY better now. If I remember right there's folks on here that had someone come to them to do it for around $3000-$3500 parts and labor. The full kit is about $2k or less depending on who you get it from.

Our HVAC system worked pretty good but I got it to work better. I had the back wall of the basement out once and found the flex lines feeding the heat plenum were not attached very well. I re routed a couple lines, shortened the flex lines and re heat taped the seams and our furnace will roast you out. Ours is a 375BHFS. The fireplace works well for heat too. The A/C, we have dual units and they work pretty well. Temps in the 80's, no problem at all. You could turn the front bedroom into a meat locker if you want. Temps in the 90's, it still cools the inside down pretty good.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:58 AM   #4

Your list of concerns/questions pretty much match my first thoughts given you’re moving from an Excel. While not the same as the Furrion free standing range, the Furrion in ours is functional. It’s finicky when holding a steady temp but larger than the Ovens of years ago. We’ve learned to use the convection microwave and found for some things, we like it. Overall, all the Furrion labeled stuff is marginal performance at best. After all Furrion is a Lippert company so . . .

We use our Pinnacle in Wisconsin from late March till late November each year and have have zero cold weather problems. There is one water line feeding the residential fridge that’s exposed under the kitchen slide that I’ve expected to freeze but it hasn’t. Temps dropped to 20 by 10pm last night and we still had filtered water this am. That line however will spring a leak where it folds as the slide closes so have the dealer get ahead of the problem by cutting out a section of the vinyl hose and add a 12” flex stainless supply line.

So far as stopping power, ours stops better than others we’ve had and we’ve never experienced problems others have but I would order with disc brakes if possible.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote