Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2019, 08:10 PM   #1

AC Only Thermostat

My bedroom AC is cooling down the bedroom big time, but the thermostat is showing 84 degrees which I know is not the real temp and not allowing for the AC to shut down when reaching the temp I set it at. I think it is either wired wrong or defective. Checked on the cost of these little jewels and they want $144.00 for one!! I want to check the wiring first. Is the back of the thermostat coded for what color wire goes in what connection, like Y B R G, etc.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:24 PM   #2

Very doubtful that the wiring would have anything to do with it. You have power in and the rest are control power outs. The temp displayed is a function of the thermostat which it senses probably through a little thermistor that is open to the room air. It displays what it senses.
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:28 PM   #3

Unfortunately, I'd have to say your t-stat is bad. My buddy had a situtation with his t-stat not working and wanted to check the wiring. He found out that its connected with a Cat5e ethernet cable, same thing you would plug into your computer from your high speed internet modem/router.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:06 AM   #4

Both of our thermo’s are affected by the hollow walls they are mounted on. Warm air from the basement/front cap and they will show warmer temps than we expect.
If your thermo is constant day/night then it’s probably bad. Yes they are expensive but it’s a TT (or coach or 5th) and stuff breaks.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
My bedroom AC is cooling down the bedroom big time, but the thermostat is showing 84 degrees which I know is not the real temp and not allowing for the AC to shut down when reaching the temp I set it at. I think it is either wired wrong or defective. Checked on the cost of these little jewels and they want $144.00 for one!! I want to check the wiring first. Is the back of the thermostat coded for what color wire goes in what connection, like Y B R G, etc.
Aren't you still under warranty? Contact your dealer and see if they will just swap it out quickly. Or since your traveling contact JAYCO and see if they will let you swap it and send the old one to them for reimbursement.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Unfortunately, I'd have to say your t-stat is bad. My buddy had a situtation with his t-stat not working and wanted to check the wiring. He found out that its connected with a Cat5e ethernet cable, same thing you would plug into your computer from your high speed internet modem/router.
I haven't removed mine from the wall yet but there is a small space between the thermostat and the wall so you can see the wires. They appear to be individual wires and not a cable type connection. Will remove it and check for sure.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 07-26-2019, 08:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Aren't you still under warranty? Contact your dealer and see if they will just swap it out quickly. Or since your traveling contact JAYCO and see if they will let you swap it and send the old one to them for reimbursement.
Yes still under warranty. I'll check with Jayco. Still waiting to hear back from them for reimbursement of the cost to repair my kitchen slide.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 07-26-2019, 02:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Yes still under warranty. I'll check with Jayco. Still waiting to hear back from them for reimbursement of the cost to repair my kitchen slide.

Sorry to get off track Al but what happened to your slide?

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Sorry to get off track Al but what happened to your slide?
Tom, I posted the following on June 17:

"Update: Lippert called me today after reviewing the mobile RV tech information and invoice, which I already paid for. Lippert said, and I agree, that the problem was an install one, not a component defect. They suggested I contact Jayco and appeal to them to reimburse the bill. They said if they bulk at all to get the name of my Jayco contact and let Lippert know and they will contact Jayco on my behalf. If they can't negotiate with Jayco, they "will not let me hang out to dry". Sounds like a long process........but I'm retired so let the fun begin."

A few days ago I contacted Jayco and they asked for a copy of the invoice with the repairs that were performed.

This is what I told Jayco:

"On June 20, 2019 I was at an RV Resort and encountered a problem with my kitchen slide. The motor on the refrigerator side was working intermittently not allowing me to retract or extend the slide. I contacted Lippert (Case# 2079521) and they suggested I contact a mobile RV repair which I did. The technician found several problems and was able to pinpoint the cause and the slide has worked ever since. I paid the repair company and submitted their receipt and my proof of payment to Lippert. They contacted me about a week ago and said that it appeared to be an install problem and not a component issue, which I have to agree with. They suggested I contact Jayco which I did today. This is what the mobile repair technician did:
The repairman could not easily access the controller because of the place Jayco mounted it. He re-mounted it where it could easily be accessed and read. The connectors for both of the slide motors were left dangling which exposed them to be pinched by the slide. He secured them so this would not occur in the future. A pin in the male connector of the slide motor that was intermittently failing, was not seated properly.
I have attached the receipt and my proof of payment."

Today I received a call from Jayco and they are reimbursing me for the entire bill, including the trip charge of $180 plus the labor charge of $90 plus tax. I'm very pleased about the way they handled it. All resolved within 72 hours.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 07-26-2019, 02:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Both of our thermo’s are affected by the hollow walls they are mounted on. Warm air from the basement/front cap and they will show warmer temps than we expect.
If your thermo is constant day/night then it’s probably bad. Yes they are expensive but it’s a TT (or coach or 5th) and stuff breaks.
The thermostat in question is mounted on a cabinet over the bedroom dresser which should not be affected by warm air from the outside. As I speak, the thermostat is reading a temperature of 84 and it's about 73 in the bedroom.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 07-26-2019, 03:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Tom, I posted the following on June 17:

"Update: Lippert called me today after reviewing the mobile RV tech information and invoice, which I already paid for. Lippert said, and I agree, that the problem was an install one, not a component defect. They suggested I contact Jayco and appeal to them to reimburse the bill. They said if they bulk at all to get the name of my Jayco contact and let Lippert know and they will contact Jayco on my behalf. If they can't negotiate with Jayco, they "will not let me hang out to dry". Sounds like a long process........but I'm retired so let the fun begin."

A few days ago I contacted Jayco and they asked for a copy of the invoice with the repairs that were performed.

This is what I told Jayco:

"On June 20, 2019 I was at an RV Resort and encountered a problem with my kitchen slide. The motor on the refrigerator side was working intermittently not allowing me to retract or extend the slide. I contacted Lippert (Case# 2079521) and they suggested I contact a mobile RV repair which I did. The technician found several problems and was able to pinpoint the cause and the slide has worked ever since. I paid the repair company and submitted their receipt and my proof of payment to Lippert. They contacted me about a week ago and said that it appeared to be an install problem and not a component issue, which I have to agree with. They suggested I contact Jayco which I did today. This is what the mobile repair technician did:

The repairman could not easily access the controller because of the place Jayco mounted it. He re-mounted it where it could easily be accessed and read. The connectors for both of the slide motors were left dangling which exposed them to be pinched by the slide. He secured them so this would not occur in the future. A pin in the male connector of the slide motor that was intermittently failing, was not seated properly.

I have attached the receipt and my proof of payment."

Today I received a call from Jayco and they are reimbursing me for the entire bill, including the trip charge of $180 plus the labor charge of $90 plus tax. I'm very pleased about the way they handled it. All resolved within 72 hours.

Good news. Wish I could get my slide fixed and have Jayco pay for it but I’m long out of warranty

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote