Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-04-2022, 07:54 PM   #1

Acceptable cribbing

I purchased a 2011 pinnacle 36REQS. I’m going to park it at a permanent spot on Thursday. Question is, is a 2x6 maybe 1.5 feet long good enough for landing pads for the feet? I was thinking of screwing a pair or even 3 of them together for feet. Work good or no?
Mikein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:14 PM   #2

Acceptable yes. You maybe happier with 2 layer of 2x10s or 2x12 with the grain 90 degreesof each other. This will keep the wood from cupping and breaking.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 09:07 PM   #3

Might want to also put in some bracing to stop any wiggles. Left to right and forward to aft.
Old 04-04-2022, 11:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikein View Post
I purchased a 2011 pinnacle 36REQS. I’m going to park it at a permanent spot on Thursday. Question is, is a 2x6 maybe 1.5 feet long good enough for landing pads for the feet? I was thinking of screwing a pair or even 3 of them together for feet. Work good or no?
How permanent? If I was setting it up forever, I would use concrete blocks on the actual frame, like a mobile home. Then take the wheels off and stow them, or sell them. It will be solid as a rock.
Old 04-05-2022, 12:09 AM   #5

With any wood over a long period of time I would be concerned with deteriorations, especially if you are in a moist area. If you use wood, at least treat it with preservative. I've done some tests over time and pine or fir usually last 12 - 17 years, redwood 22 - 25. But both of those woods were affected significantly by moisture.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 05:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
How permanent? If I was setting it up forever, I would use concrete blocks on the actual frame, like a mobile home. Then take the wheels off and stow them, or sell them. It will be solid as a rock.

X2, If it's really long term.

Tires are only good for so many years, may be best to dismount and sell them and store the wheels.

If you still want to use your levelers use as much blocking as you can and keep your leveler stroke short as you can, it will make it more stable.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:43 AM   #7

Appreciate all the replies. I plan on leaving it on the spot for its first year and then probably moving to a place I’m waitlisted. Lots of good points to consider here. It will be on a gravel pad where it’s going that appears pretty level but as I looked around at other rigs you could see how the cribbing had sunk into the ground a bit.. I’m not positive but I think they have rules about wheel removal, just due to “need to move” emergency situations. I just happen to have a bunch of 18 inch brown treated 2x6’s from a deck refurb I did last summer. As I look at them they seem kinda narrow for a big ole camper.
Mikein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:54 AM   #8
Site Team

I would use something wider as stated earlier. I use 2 x 8 or 2 x 10s. Both will still split eventually if not tied together with a piece of 3/4 exterior plywood or some other type material with the grain aligned differently.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 07:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikein View Post
Appreciate all the replies. I plan on leaving it on the spot for its first year and then probably moving to a place I’m waitlisted. Lots of good points to consider here. It will be on a gravel pad where it’s going that appears pretty level but as I looked around at other rigs you could see how the cribbing had sunk into the ground a bit.. I’m not positive but I think they have rules about wheel removal, just due to “need to move” emergency situations. I just happen to have a bunch of 18 inch brown treated 2x6’s from a deck refurb I did last summer. As I look at them they seem kinda narrow for a big ole camper.
Cut them to 11" length, and use 4 for for each pad, 2 going one direction, 2 going the other. Screw and exterior glue them together, attach ropes or handles to them, and paint them black. Done.
Old 04-05-2022, 09:56 AM   #10

if you intend to keep the coach permeant, i would use the concrete step stones you can pick up from home depot fairly cheap. And never worry about wood rot or detrition
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote