Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2020, 05:09 AM   #1

Accident Repair

I have significant damage from a self inflected pole collision. Casualties include:
3 awnings, door handrail, dinette window, wheel hub, various scratches and dents.

I have had good relations with the dealer over the last 10 years and 2 camper purchases. They have located and the pictures and say they can fix it.

I have also tried to contact Jayco to get an estimate and received no response as of yet.

Question is, should I go with the dealer or insist on it going back to the factory?
Rusty T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:35 AM   #2

Are you paying for it out of your pocket? Or is your insurance? If your insurance, besides the dealer, is there a reputable RV service center locally? Where we store our unit also does service and did an awesome job when we had an accident with the truck/trailer. And they will be doing the work from the hail damage - hopefully starting today as they were waiting for all the parts to come in. The only issue they may not be able to fix is buffing out the entire side.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:22 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

I highly doubt the factory would fix it because, well, its a factory not a repair shop. I think you would be better off to take it to someone that specializes in RV repairs that's local to you.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:23 AM   #4

Any good dealer that has experience with body work.

We developed the dreaded bedroom slide sidewall crack last fall 2019. Our selling dealer, RVOne in Orlando would not touch it. The factory was booked through this summer 2020 so they referred us to Vogt RV in Ft. Worth and we scheduled for the spring since we were casually heading west anyway.

In the mean time, I got into an argument with a small tree while parking in CG spot when I thought Joan was spotting for me (my bad for not checking). The tree lost the argument because it is no longer there but it mashed up the J-Skirt (the fascia metal below the frame) and some wheel well trim. We added it to the honey-do list for Vogt.

We had the work done a month ago in Ft Worth (three month delay hiding from Covid-19). In a scheduled 2 week repair, the body work was done in the first 2 days like it was nothing. Perfect. The crack repair involved cutting the outside wall open to the frame and doing a lot of welding. Flash forward and right now, no matter the lighting or the angle from which you are looking, no one could tell that there was a repair.

Turns out, Vogt does over one a month of these and actually helped Jayco develop the procedure for this repair. Unlike the factory, they have never had a crack repair come back to them. They insist that if the rig cracks again, it will be in another spot.

My long winded point is that the factory is not always the best, it turns out. I have even heard of mobile tech body shops for RV's that will do body repairs on-site.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:45 AM   #5

Angus, glad to hear everything turned out good and that you're on the road again!!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:00 AM   #6

I doubt the factory will take the RV in for crash damage repairs that are not related to warranty issues, they build trailers, and correct their flaws only when their flaws are too big for a local dealer to fix.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:12 PM   #7

Hopefully this won't affect your accident repair but I had a problem with the factory. I had a major bearing failure that necessitated replacing the brake hub. The repair shop tried to get it from Jayco and they blew him out with "Call a Jayco dealer ". Fortunately I was there and took it to Etrailer, bought the parts on my card with shipping to the repair shop.

Note that I had nothing to do with the selection of the repair shop and the nearest Jayco dealer would have been another hour from my home.
I'm just happy I was there when he was looking for parts.

Not a rant about customer service but in this case it was less than useless.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
Hopefully this won't affect your accident repair but I had a problem with the factory. I had a major bearing failure that necessitated replacing the brake hub. The repair shop tried to get it from Jayco and they blew him out with "Call a Jayco dealer ". Fortunately I was there and took it to Etrailer, bought the parts on my card with shipping to the repair shop.

Note that I had nothing to do with the selection of the repair shop and the nearest Jayco dealer would have been another hour from my home.
I'm just happy I was there when he was looking for parts.

Not a rant about customer service but in this case it was less than useless.
They never have sold to anyone other than their dealers.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
They never have sold to anyone other than their dealers.

They told me it was because they are not registered for retail to collect sales tax.
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:31 PM   #10

Grumpy
Not disagreeing with you but it was the tone and manner of the response.

I'm just happy I was there and took over and used Etrailer. In the long ru n it probably saved me money by eliminating at least one mark-up
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:47 PM   #11

We will be taking our 5er to the service center in Middlebury the first part on next month to have all our cabinet door fronts replaced under warranty. An issue we brought up at the time of purchase. After we had that scheduled we tangled with a low hanging tree branch at about 45 MPH. Cracked the front cap at the upper lights on the right side, along with some other smaller items damaged. The front cap will be replaced at that visit (out of our pocket). Surprising a front cap is not that expensive.

From my discussion with them they are more willing to replace parts than repair.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
I highly doubt the factory would fix it because, well, its a factory not a repair shop. I think you would be better off to take it to someone that specializes in RV repairs that's local to you.
The Jayco factory[s] have repair facilities for warranty work that most dealers can't/won't handle.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco fifth wheel