Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2021, 11:46 AM   #1

Adding a surge protector

Just took delivery of a 2021 Eagle 319MLOK. Has any body hard wired a surge protector to this model?

Donít really see an easy access point to power wires with out tearing the whole kitchen apart.
Toolguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:02 PM   #2

FOLLOWING
XMEDIC73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:28 PM   #3

I'm not familiar with that model. Where is the electrical panel located? You should be able to pull it out and istall a EMS behind it. Here's a video to give you a idea of doing it that way.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolguy5 View Post
Just took delivery of a 2021 Eagle 319MLOK. Has any body hard wired a surge protector to this model?

Donít really see an easy access point to power wires with out tearing the whole kitchen apart.
Also noticed this is your first post so welcome. Surge protectors are a very talked about item. If you don't want to do the installation this is a good option.
https://hughesautoformers.com/power-...ge-protectors/

A little light reading on the subject.

https://rvmentor.com/2019/11/24/ems-...o0_1M3_i4tQ-P0

https://www.technorv.com/articles/do...rge-protector/
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:38 PM   #5

I bought an EMS for my Northpoint about a month ago and have yet to install it. Trailer is under the cover and it's still too cold out. However, when I do go to install it I'm taking out the back basement wall which gives me access to the back side of my electrical panel and mounting it in that area. I've also purchased 2 sets of male and female 50A plugs that will be wired in. This way when it does its job protecting my trailer and pukes the replaceable insides, I can unplug it and plug the panel into the feed wire and not be left dead in the water until I get my replacement parts.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:44 PM   #6

I had no issues installing it in a North point. We decided to downsize and i removed it from NorthPoint before selling.
The eagle 319MLOK i can not access the electrical through the basement.

Electrical panel is in rear of coach under kitchen sink.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:50 PM   #7

Our 5th is older but I installed a Progressive Industries EMS and found it to be pretty straightforward. I did what Lake is planning. Rear wall of the basement is pretty easy to remove and I mounted it basically under the steps to the bedroom. My electrical panel is adjacent to the steps so the EMS is very close to the panel. I disconnected the main feed to the panel and connected it to the EMS. I bought about 6’ of cable to connect the unit to the panel. I had to unscrew and pull the panel out for access to the main feed. I don’t work fast and the job was a bit over a couple hours. Hardest part was getting the thick wires into the alignment I wanted. Those solid copper wires are stiff.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
I bought an EMS for my Northpoint about a month ago and have yet to install it. Trailer is under the cover and it's still too cold out. However, when I do go to install it I'm taking out the back basement wall which gives me access to the back side of my electrical panel and mounting it in that area. I've also purchased 2 sets of male and female 50A plugs that will be wired in. This way when it does its job protecting my trailer and pukes the replaceable insides, I can unplug it and plug the panel into the feed wire and not be left dead in the water until I get my replacement parts.
If you bought the Progressive EMS it has a switch to bypass the unit in case of problems, but still supplies power,
so you wouldn't need plugs. I read about people contacting them at any hour and they take your info and ship the board free overnight, just a few screws to replace and off and running again.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:51 PM   #9

Quote:

Watch this video from Progressive, may give you a few tips. Its an easy install, the unit can be placed anywhere along the path of the cord before the breaker panel. https://youtu.be/ddUamK3wnow
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:07 PM   #10

Quote:
I had no issues installing it in a North point. We decided to downsize and i removed it from NorthPoint before selling.
The eagle 319MLOK i can not access the electrical through the basement.

Electrical panel is in rear of coach under kitchen sink.
I looked online at a number of 319MLOK. No reason the surge protector needs to be at the circuit panel. Which does look to be under the sink (water over power, really???). The main power feed entrance looks to be one the driver's side right next to the water heater. You should be able to remove the access panel inside the big cargo hold to access the main power feed there. I would install the base unit down there, and if you have a remote display, you could mount it in a number of different locations.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:09 PM   #11

Thanks Jagiven i did not think of that.

Next time i am at the RV i will check it out.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:18 PM   #12

You want an EMS...... NOT a surge protector!
There is a HUGE Difference.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStartô 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
You want an EMS...... NOT a surge protector!
There is a HUGE Difference.
However, Progressive EMS's are also surge protectors, all in one.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:21 PM   #14

I have a Surge Guard 35550. I removed it from my North Point before selling it.
Which was a very easy install by removing basement wall.

i will look at exposing water heater and see if it will be an easy mount there.
Old 03-20-2021, 10:23 PM   #15

Quote:

Hey Toolguy I just purchased a 319MLOK and I'd be interested to see how your adventure turns out. Let me know when you get it done as I'm interested in getting a surge protector as well. Thank you.
Camperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 05:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camperdude View Post
Hey Toolguy I just purchased a 319MLOK and I'd be interested to see how your adventure turns out. Let me know when you get it done as I'm interested in getting a surge protector as well. Thank you.
Camperdude congrats on your new 5er.

I took a look at again and i do not think I am going to install the surge protector i have. I would need to remote display to be able to monitor it. The only remote i can find specs say fits 30 AMP.

So if i do decide to add one i will go with the external type instead of the pure wired one i have.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Camperdude congrats on your new 5er.

I took a look at again and i do not think I am going to install the surge protector i have. I would need to remote display to be able to monitor it. The only remote i can find specs say fits 30 AMP.

So if i do decide to add one i will go with the external type instead of the pure wired one i have.

Not true, Toolguy. According to Southwire, their 40300 Remote power monitor is compatible with their 30A and 50A models. $97.00 on Amazon.

https://rvpower.southwire.com/produc...r-lcd-display/
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 05:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB13502 View Post
Not true, Toolguy. According to Southwire, their 40300 Remote power monitor is compatible with their 30A and 50A models. $97.00 on Amazon.

https://rvpower.southwire.com/produc...r-lcd-display/
I contacted Southwire several times but never received an answer back if it was good for 50 amps.
Thanks for the info though.

I still think i will go with a portable exterior one though.