Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2020, 10:18 PM   #1

Adding an additional Blue LED in the basement

Hey everyone, I’m picking up a new Northpoint 387RDFS shortly and it has a single switched LED light in the main storage area under the bedroom (basement). I have a ton of storage in the rear of this unit as well as up front, so I’m going to be installing a mini refrigerator in that space next to the TV to create a mini outside (dry) kitchen/bar area. I’d like to add a blue LED light strip to the upper front of the storage area so it would be concealed from sight but it would illuminate the fridge and the space next to it when switched on. I know I can tie into the power from the existing light, but I don’t want the white bright light on when the LED is on. How can I add a separate switch for the blue light, and have a separate switch for the white general light? Is this an easy fix?

K Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Holbrook View Post
Hey everyone, I’m picking up a new Northpoint 387RDFS shortly and it has a single switched LED light in the main storage area under the bedroom (basement). I have a ton of storage in the rear of this unit as well as up front, so I’m going to be installing a mini refrigerator in that space next to the TV to create a mini outside (dry) kitchen/bar area. I’d like to add a blue LED light strip to the upper front of the storage area so it would be concealed from sight but it would illuminate the fridge and the space next to it when switched on. I know I can tie into the power from the existing light, but I don’t want the white bright light on when the LED is on. How can I add a separate switch for the blue light, and have a separate switch for the white general light? Is this an easy fix?
A couple of questions:
  • Where is the white light switch located? In the unit itself or on the wall?
  • What does the blue light look like? Does it have its own switch?
I ask to find out if the power to the white light is constant or switched from the wall. If your white light is switched from the wall, you'll need to tap into the wiring at the wall switch or find an alternate constant power source.

Get back to us with more info, we can help!
MODS: Dual GC2 LiFePO4 System, BAL (4) Stabilizers, Hengs vent fan, Dual Propane conversion, Furrion FOSO7TASF Rear Camera, Digital Thermostat, See Level 709P3W1003 Tank Monitor System, 200w solar panels, other cool things.
MrKABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:26 PM   #3

The white light is one of those 6” diameter round lights that has its own on/off switch on it. I’m guessing I can buy a blue LED strip that just has the wires attached.

K Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote