Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-18-2021, 06:51 PM   #1

Adding TPMS Sensors to Tow Vehicle

I have the EEZ RV TPMS on my fifth wheel. Is it possible to add four sensors to my Ram 3500? Will it affect the balancing on each wheel? I found out I only have the TPIS on my Ram and not the alerting TPMS. Additional sensors EEZ are $40 each so another $160 so I want to make sure I can do it.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:57 PM   #2

I just leave my infotainment center on the wheel tire pressure and switch to the screen with all my temps several times while driving. Having the TPMS would be of great benefit to not have to switch back and forth!
Old 04-18-2021, 07:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I just leave my infotainment center on the wheel tire pressure and switch to the screen with all my temps several times while driving. Having the TPMS would be of great benefit to not have to switch back and forth!
I know. How you do it is one way to do it. Only way to maintain tire pressure unless I add the sensors. I already know I won't constantly check it that way. I do occasionally and I could've swore I checked it sometime prior to the blowout and it was fine. It was only a three hour trip and the blowout happened at about hour #2.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
I have the EEZ RV TPMS on my fifth wheel. Is it possible to add four sensors to my Ram 3500? Will it affect the balancing on each wheel? I found out I only have the TPIS on my Ram and not the alerting TPMS. Additional sensors EEZ are $40 each so another $160 so I want to make sure I can do it.
You can activate the TPMS alert on your 3500 using AlfaOBD software on your phone or tablet with a OBD dongle. Once activated you can set your inflation pressures as you choose. Government doesn't require the alerts over a certain GVWR. 1500 and 2500 have them but the 3500 does not.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
You can activate the TPMS alert on your 3500 using AlfaOBD software on your phone or tablet with a OBD dongle. Once activated you can set your inflation pressures as you choose. Government doesn't require the alerts over a certain GVWR. 1500 and 2500 have them but the 3500 does not.

Earl
Ok Earl, almost everything you said was Greek to me. Break it down a little clearer please. What is AlfaOBD and an OBD dongle? Is it something I purchase?
Old 04-19-2021, 08:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Yes you can and it will not affect the balancing. Like you, I have no idea what Earl is talking about..........way over my head!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Yes you can and it will not affect the balancing. Like you, I have no idea what Earl is talking about..........way over my head!
Lol. Thanks. Might just be easier to add either two or four sensors while towing, lol. If the other involves something like a code reader and changing settings, just gonna get the sensors.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:14 AM   #8
Site Team

I better do some research to verify my Ford F350 works as I think it does! I still have the sensors from my TST system so it won't be a expense.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I better do some research to verify my Ford F350 works as I think it does! I still have the sensors from my TST system so it won't be a expense.
It was an eye awakening experience to find out I don't have a tire warning system on the Ram 3500. I'm limping on the shoulder with a blowout and no warning notification at all. Over the weekend, to double check, I lowered to 30 psi and nothing. I already knew the answer but just to do a check.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:59 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
My truck gives low pressure alarms. That's it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Ok Earl, almost everything you said was Greek to me. Break it down a little clearer please. What is AlfaOBD and an OBD dongle? Is it something I purchase?
AlfaOBD is software that is for Chrysler products. It's scanning software that communicates with all the modules/computers but more. You can add sales codes to vehicles, program tire sizes, change the TPMS inflation settings, perform tests and calibrations. Active fuel pumps, active the ABS, etc.

The software is 50 dollars and is android base only. You can also get it in windows format for computers. They will give you a discount for both formats if you'd like Android and PC based.

The dongle is a device that plugs into the OBD port and always the software on your phone, tablet or PC to communicate wirelessly via bluetooth. I believe the current cost is 80 bucks?? They have cheap ones but they are problematic.

If your ram is 2018 or newer, you will need the security bypass cable. About 50 bucks.

Earl
Old 04-19-2021, 11:21 AM   #12

Quote:
It was an eye awakening experience to find out I don't have a tire warning system on the Ram 3500. I'm limping on the shoulder with a blowout and no warning notification at all. Over the weekend, to double check, I lowered to 30 psi and nothing. I already knew the answer but just to do a check.
Correct, Ram 3500 trucks only have the dash read out on the cluster. No alerts for low pressure. It's in the owners manual. 1500 and 2500 have the alerts. Vehicles over a certain GVWR are not federally required to have the alerts. As of 2018 MY. Not sure if 2019 and newer still follow.

Earl
Old 04-19-2021, 05:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
AlfaOBD is software that is for Chrysler products. It's scanning software that communicates with all the modules/computers but more. You can add sales codes to vehicles, program tire sizes, change the TPMS inflation settings, perform tests and calibrations. Active fuel pumps, active the ABS, etc.

The software is 50 dollars and is android base only. You can also get it in windows format for computers. They will give you a discount for both formats if you'd like Android and PC based.

The dongle is a device that plugs into the OBD port and always the software on your phone, tablet or PC to communicate wirelessly via bluetooth. I believe the current cost is 80 bucks?? They have cheap ones but they are problematic.

If your ram is 2018 or newer, you will need the security bypass cable. About 50 bucks.

Earl
Thanks Earl for breaking that down for me. Explains it all. Think I'm gonna be adding at least two sensors to my EEZ RV tpms system, lol.