Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-30-2021, 06:26 PM   #1

Adding wire

We own a 1997 Jayco Eagle fifth wheel. I have decided to add backup lights on the camper. I am wondering if anyone has suggestions of the cleanest/best way to run a new wire from the 7way round plug that is mounted in the bottom of the upper bedroom that I plug my pigtail into all the way back to the back of the camper.

Currently, there is white wires (ground) some greenish wires, and a red wire... it seems to be lacking any sense of being color-coded. Currently whoever replaced the one light before had put in a light with a backup light but it is somehow wired into the brake light... Don't have any desire to do another hack job...

So, best and cleanest way to run a new wire from front to back???
Ironrosefarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:35 PM   #2

Been there done it... Biggest challenge is fishing the wire from king pin to inside front compartment... Otherwise just running the wire along frame member. I ended up having to pull the trim off underside of the 5th to fish the wires. I ran a ground to the back as well. Centre pin on the embilical cord normally yellow is the backuplights

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:01 AM   #3
CwD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII View Post
Biggest challenge is fishing the wire from king pin to inside front compartment...
Any trick or tip to this? I tried to do this but do not find a path. I used a bore scope and fish wire. The fish would hit a perpendicular cross member mid way. I was trying to find passage holes thru the cross member and follow the embilical. No luck for me.

CwD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:47 AM   #4

The hard part is figuring out the routing.

Which model do you have?

You may have to look at alternative wire routes. Can you come up into the bedroom, the traverse under the bed, and back down into the cargo hold?

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CwD View Post
Any trick or tip to this? I tried to do this but do not find a path. I used a bore scope and fish wire. The fish would hit a perpendicular cross member mid way. I was trying to find passage holes thru the cross member and follow the embilical. No luck for me.
So on our 321rsts Eagle 5th I ended up removing the aluminum trim under the 5th carefully.. Be prepared you will need new butyl tape the right color ours is beige and a tube of clear sealant. Remove the plastic screw covering Carefully cut the sealant on both sides of trim. Remove the screws holding it in place. You may need to remove a couple screws in the panel between edge and king pin. Now carefully remove the aluminum trim. The butyl is sticky. Once removed clean up and remove butyl tape from aluminum.
Now flashlight and a fish tape you can make the 90 degree turn under the 5th with the wiring.
Fish the wire into front storage. Down propane storage area and along frame.
Make sure you get a good seal on the trim with the sealant or you will have water damage

RoadrunnerII

2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
Old 04-03-2021, 10:01 AM   #6

Digging into it today... thanks for the replies.
Old 04-03-2021, 03:55 PM   #7

Okay so I did not take the aluminum down up front. I took the plugin my pigtail plugs into (mine does not have a permanent umbilical cord) down and disconnected the brakes wires. Then carefully and securely taped a cord onto the end of the wire, taping up the connection between the cord and wire and any catch points tightly and smooth as possible. Pulled the brake wire from above the propane tanks until the cord was showing. Taped my new backup wire on to the cord keeping the brake line still attached. Again taping to smooth out any potential snag points. Pulled the cord back out toward the plug pulling brake and new backup wire forward. It required a second person to help guide it up into the nose and to twist the wire to get it through the snag points of where the wire runs through the metal structure. Mine had two points that snagged but with a bit of twisting and back and forth the I was able to get through and make my conections to the 7way.

Now trying to get wire through the back metal... fish tape will likely be the answer there.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:52 PM   #8

I have just tried that method fishing new wires for the disc brake conversion. Wires got caught pulled back to front and got caught again... Mine make a 90 degree turn around a plywood piece.. They got wedged in between the fiberglass and plywood and I was done. Hence the pulling the aluminum trim method to make the turns and fishing both ways.
Glad you made it work the easy way!
RoadrunnerII

2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
Old 04-03-2021, 08:53 PM   #9

Old 04-03-2021, 08:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII View Post
I have just tried that method fishing new wires for the disc brake conversion. Wires got caught pulled back to front and got caught again... Mine make a 90 degree turn around a plywood piece.. They got wedged in between the fiberglass and plywood and I was done. Hence the pulling the aluminum trim method to make the turns and fishing both ways.
Glad you made it work the easy way!
RoadrunnerII
Mine wasn't a straight shot but I don't think it made a 90. I don't think I could have got it without an extra set of hand giving the wire a twist to make it jump into the holes instead of snagging... I'll consider myself very fortunate...
Old 04-03-2021, 09:01 PM   #11

[IMG]//https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/members/72649-albums2077-picture12031.jpg[/IMG]

I managed to do the same technique to add wire inside the back wall. All works very well.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:20 PM   #12
CwD

Thanks Jagiven. I was able to identify a access panel under the washer dryer prep in the front closet. In this space is the water lines and drain which create a path to the garage and wires from the king pin area - I believe. I will check it out a little more through Sunday.

RoadrunnerII that is quite a process on the trim. Thanks for explaining.

Ironrose, happy to see you got your wire pulled.

Thanks,

Craig

CwD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 02:33 PM   #13

Old 04-04-2021, 08:14 PM   #14

Good job guys

RoadrunnerII

2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
Old 05-15-2021, 12:40 PM   #15

Re: Adding wire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironrosefarms View Post
We own a 1997 Jayco Eagle fifth wheel. I have decided to add backup lights on the camper. I am wondering if anyone has suggestions of the cleanest/best way to run a new wire from the 7way round plug that is mounted in the bottom of the upper bedroom that I plug my pigtail into all the way back to the back of the camper.

Currently, there is white wires (ground) some greenish wires, and a red wire... it seems to be lacking any sense of being color-coded. Currently whoever replaced the one light before had put in a light with a backup light but it is somehow wired into the brake light... Don't have any desire to do another hack job...

So, best and cleanest way to run a new wire from front to back???
I would FIRST VERIFY that the wire (unused) is NOT already in the harness; if corrugated sleeve, go back 3-4 feet and count wires/ colors; if a taped harness, feel for a bulge where an extra wire was folded back unused/ taped over?
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 08:46 PM   #16

Update

So this week was our first time out since the install of the led tail/turn/backup lights. It was a very worth it kind of upgrade. We pulled into camp after midnight and the backup lights helped immensely in getting into position. Bright and I really like the low profile look it gave.