Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2014, 04:50 AM   #1

Adjusting FW ride height using factory bolt positions

I've got a 2001 Designer that's riding nose-high. Can't lower the pin any lower. ETA: I didn't adjust the pin at all- I meant to say I can't adjust the pin because the camper is already at the proper height above the bed rails.

There are two more bolt positions where the leaf springs attach to the frame that could be used to raise it about 2 1/2 inches or maybe a tad more.

Any issues with doing this? Seems pretty straightforward.

Anyone ever done it?
Sea Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:14 AM   #2

You lowered the pin box or raised it? Is your hitch adjustable?
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:24 AM   #3

I don't think the pin box needs adjustment because I don't want the front of the fifth wheel to be any closer to the bed rails than it already is.

The problem is the ride height at the rear of the coach, not the front.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:52 AM   #4

Up camper- I just realized why you asked the question... lowering the pin would raise the nose and that's what you thought I did... LOL

I didn't mess with the pin at all. It's where it needs to be already.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:27 AM   #5

Are your axles flipped, meaning the axles are under the leaf springs already? You probably can adjust the springs up in the holes provided, but you might want to check with Jayco Technicians on that first.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:14 AM   #6

We changed the spring mounting to raise our fiver to a level position for towing after I contacted Jayco- They told me that is what the extra holes are for- It worked for us and we are unaware of any problems- JMHO- DD
Old 08-26-2014, 01:09 PM   #7

Since I had a 4wd truck when we ordered our Eagle, my dealer specified using the lowest mounting holes for the spring mounts from the factory. My trailer now rides ever so slightly nose down, perfect for towing and needs only to raise up an inch when overnighting while still hitched up on a level site.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2012 321RLTS Eagle (sold)
2011 F350 CC SB
dzwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:19 PM   #8

I just dropped the springs to the bottom holes on the shackle, left the equalizer where it was for now. No change in trailer handling, it's much closer to level now. I will be moving the equalizer bar down to the bottom hole too, this should be near perfect level for my F350 4X4.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:58 PM   #9

Interesting. My 29.5BHDS does ride slightly nose high and truck doesn't quite sag enough. I have a F350 4x4 as well. It doesn't really have enough pin weight I guess being a half ton design. Nevertheless I will have to see if I have some kind of adjustment holes on the springs to raise the back slightly. Everything seems to be within spec, but it would look better it I could raise the back end slightly.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:54 PM   #10

Yup that is why the holes are there. It's a jayco thing. Other option is to flip the axle, spring on top of axle this is what I did.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustdave View Post
Yup that is why the holes are there. It's a jayco thing. Other option is to flip the axle, spring on top of axle this is what I did.
don't you need to rotate the backing plate, for the brakes 180* when you do this?
Old 08-27-2014, 08:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEKCRAFTER View Post
don't you need to rotate the backing plate, for the brakes 180* when you do this?
Nope....

If your thinking that you rotate the axle around so the spring perch is up VS down... you can't as the axle has a bow to it.

What you do is install new spring perches on the top side of the axle.
http://dexteraxle.com/over_under_conversion_kits

I welded mine but you don't have to and it didn't take too long. While I was there I did the flex equalizers and lubed pins.
http://dexteraxle.com/e_z_flex_equalizers

No ofiliation with Dexter by the way.. but they did treat me well price wise and guaranteed some parts a few times no big Q asked.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:19 PM   #13

Wow. This thing seems to have less rolling resistance. He said it had no grease in the bearings, so he replaced them. Maybe it's just my imagination- they weren't making any noise.

It's a lot more level too. Not quite all the way but it's close enough.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #14

Did you need any special tools to lower the spring mounting to the lower mounting hole and were you able to DIY.

2015 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Diesel
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS
F14man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 02:09 PM   #15

Jack, hammer, wrenches blocking for safety... the only thing special or not obvious is the bolt has serrations that bight into the hole, so you loosen the nut and then you have to push the bolt out of the hole, so a C clamp, Ball joint remover or air hammer works well, VS just hammering away.

Once you put it back in if it is greased the grease holes go horizontal and you should press the bolt in the hole, Im sure running the nut down or hammer would do it but a Ball joint press works really well to seat the bolt in the hole if it is a virgin hole, I rented a ball joint puller from auto parts store.

this is very DIY.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by F14man View Post
Did you need any special tools to lower the spring mounting to the lower mounting hole and were you able to DIY.
The guy said he had all kinds of issues doing this job. He said he didn't bill me for all the time he actually spent.

I wouldn't have attempted this myself.

If you are used to wrenching on cars, or your dad is a TV repairman and has a righteous set of tools, you might be able to DIY.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:42 PM   #17

Moving the holes the springs attach to is simple any shop should be able to do it or home mechanic. Wrench jack hammer are the special tools required.

Moving the axle under the springs is not much more work with the right parts. But lots more blocking and a few extra hands would be good.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPCamper View Post
Interesting. My 29.5BHDS does ride slightly nose high and truck doesn't quite sag enough. I have a F350 4x4 as well. It doesn't really have enough pin weight I guess being a half ton design. Nevertheless I will have to see if I have some kind of adjustment holes on the springs to raise the back slightly. Everything seems to be within spec, but it would look better it I could raise the back end slightly.
First time in history this has been said. You need a smaller truck.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:45 PM   #19

Thanks everyone

Thanks. This thread is exactly what I have been looking for. My 2010 Designer sits a little too much tail down on my 2010 F350 4x4. I've been fretting over how to level things out. Too much snow right now to crawl under the trailer & look. I hope it's as you guys have described in the suspension. It'll solve my problem.

Darlene & Gary
Jayco Designer 35rlsa
F350 CC 6.4 SRW Cabelas, superglide
kayaks, bikes, fun
N8WOL is offline   Reply With Quote